California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Question for College Graduates.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for College Graduates.

Ok well i'm in my final year at UCI now and I will be graduating soon. Lately I've been very panicky and anxious about graduating. I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life until one year ago when I made a decision on what type of career I wanted, yet it was not even involved with my major. I took the easy way out and chose a major that I thought I could just get by with (sociology) when
I started school. Since then I've added another major (poitcal Science) just because I was interested in it. Other than that I am really starting to worry about my life post-college. I have many dreams and aspirations of being successful and I know I'm a hard worker because I love to work. I really can't picture myself going to graduate school because I'm ready to start doing something with my life instead of having teachers telling me what to do all the time.

I guess my question is....Did everybody else here feel like I do before they graduated college? How long was it before you found your job? Is it normal to feel like this? I'm 22 and I feel like I'm so behind on careers and I'm really worried about what will happen to me in the next couple of years. Any Advice/Comments would be helpful...

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-12-2003, 05:25 PM

It is totally normal, I just finished at UCI this summer and the whole time I was feeling panicky. I had a good job but nothing that was going to sustain my future. My major was criminology so of course I was looking for a job in that field. I was not having much luck with that come this past september as many law enforcement agencies are not hiring. So I went to the career center website and submitted my resume to any job that I felt I was qualified and would enjoy. After working on it for almost two monthes I finally got a career offer at an INSURANCE AGENCY for autodealerships. Of all places, I ended up in the insurance industry.

For a good while I was feeling very panicky and in doubt as to the success of my future. Fortunately, things worked out for me as they will for you. DO NOT limit yourself to careers related to your major, because it does not matter. If you are a hard worker, you WILL get hired...I did!! And I know nothing about the insurance industry. I start this new job on Mon Nov 17th and I will be making more than double the money I have ever made before!! I suggest you start poking around the career center website and ask around, you might meet someone who is hiring. That is how I got the job that I am leaving. Good luck to you and congrats on your achievement, things will work out. Just do not limit yourself.

Ryan
Old 11-12-2003, 05:28 PM

BTW, you going to come to some T.I.T.S. events anytime soon? We would like to meet you, I used to have a WRX and I went to all the events since August. There is a meet tomorrow and next week. Come on out!

Ryan
Old 11-12-2003, 06:54 PM

do what i did ... go to graduate school, and put off the decision! just kidding - i did know what i wanted to do before i even started college --- but i will say, that when the economy is tough, and jobs are hard to come by, continuing on in graduate school is often a good choice -- hopefully by the time you get out, jobs will be more plentiful, and you will be a better candidate (and likely make more $).

that said, you still need to know what you want to do when you get out ... cause with a grad degree, you may be committing yourself more fully to a certain path.

other than that, i agree with overbooster .... shop around and see what you LIKE.

brian
Old 11-12-2003, 07:04 PM

I'm old as hell and still don't know where my career is headed. I'm currently in banking and don't hate nor love it. I'm torn between making good money and having a title or going for my dreams and possiblly coming out empty handed.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OverBooster
BTW, you going to come to some T.I.T.S. events anytime soon?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 PM
SUH

Im really glad you brought this topic up mike..

I never went to college b/c I got a full time job offer right after high school at a starting up Internet Company... I worked there for 2 1/2 years and loved it.. I thought that was my college since I learned so much although hours were 6 days a week 12 hour days. The company had huge potential and was going on its way to the top since around that time it was the internet BOOM.. but when 9/11 hit .. the stock market droped and yea.. now I work in Title for Fidelity but like most of you guys wrote out .. its like a dead end .. I neither hate it nor love it...

I guess my point is.. school isnt for everyone since I strongly believe a degree doesnt guarantee you success or more money... I just stood by working hard and have that determination to succeed and things will work for the better, I know alot of people who graduated from UCI and UCR last year and this year.. and can't really make it since there bills racked up, I;m not putting school down at all even though it seems like that (sorry) just giving my 2 cents... I guess its who you know in this society more then what you know... b/c most jobs , you pick it up while working there.... Most of us know where your coming from MIke since we all panic and nothing is certain ..

One thing I know is when i drive top down in the "S" its all worth it

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 PM

Don't you guys just wish you were kids and don't have to work. I think you should go to school for an education, not for a job. I agree with SUH, school is not everyone. I'm not putting education down, but I just feel people should go school to learn and get an education, not for a paycheck. If you do what you love, money will come your way. I am currently at a JC, and was accepted to transfer to Cal Poly Pomona and UCI. A BS or BA will probably open more doors, but it will not guarantee your success or a job. That's why I took a step back and currently in the process of getting a dealer's license to open dealership. People spent 2/3 of their life working, so hopefully you find something you love to do and you're happy with it.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 1,182 Likes on 910 Posts

Get an MBA.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:34 AM

i agree with all the 'school is not for everyone, and is not always essential to having a good career' .... but will throw out that certain jobs are simply impossible to land without those degrees. i'm a biotech scientist, and knew that was exactly what i wanted prior to going to school. so, in a sense i went to college (and grad school) to get the job, but like most, went to schools for the experience, and the growth that comes from taken some ethnic studies or humanities class that has nothing to do with DNA.

probably all things that are obvious, but thought i would reiterate.

best of luck,
epi

Quick Reply: Question for College Graduates.