California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Rivet nut/Pop nut experience for OEM Hardtop?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rivet/Pop Nut install experience or a shop for OEM Hardtop in Los Angeles?

I'm looking for any recommendations or even people that have experience installing a rivet nut/pop nut on a OEM Hardtop? I recently had the dreaded nut/thread break away on me while trying to remove the old OEM latches, so ended up having to drill and removed the old threads and insert there. So I bought the new rivet nut/pop nut from Honda to install but I don't have the correct tools and or experience to install this. I'm worried about over tighten the rivet nut and breaking it or ruining the new threads and having to start over.

So if anyone has experience or knows a shop or actually HAS experience and the tools to install this please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SOL1D
I'm looking for any recommendations or even people that have experience installing a rivet nut/pop nut on a OEM Hardtop? I recently had the dreaded nut/thread break away on me while trying to remove the old OEM latches, so ended up having to drill and removed the old threads and insert there. So I bought the new rivet nut/pop nut from Honda to install but I don't have the correct tools and or experience to install this. I'm worried about over tighten the rivet nut and breaking it or ruining the new threads and having to start over.

So if anyone has experience or knows a shop or actually HAS experience and the tools to install this please let me know.

Thanks!
Text me 562-537-0774
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Rockstar Garage repair my OEM hardtop last summer when the same thing happened. They cut out and welded new nuts on the hardtop and I haven't had any issues since. It was really pricey work though but I'm happy withe the results.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait they welded on a new nut? how did they do that since the nut is on the inner layer of the hardtop? do you have pictures of the work or what they did exactly? Plus this is aluminium so I'm kinda iffy on the welding route, but any info would be great
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A square piece with all of the old nuts was cut out and a new one was welded in. That's why they charged what they charged. I tried a rivet nut on my own before but the hardtop would rattle like crazy and it drove me nuts. Another reason why they had to cut/weld was because I had drilled out a few of the original holes in order to tap it for the rive nut. I don't know if you tried to repair it yourself yet, but if you haven't I'd call RSG to see if they can fix it without having to cut/weld.