California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Second opinion maybe?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jun11
I had the same issue with the first S I bought... about 8 years ago. It was an 00' and it turned out that valve retainer cracked and caused the valve to not seat properly. If you haven't upgraded to AP2 retainers it's worth a look. And if you want to save money on the work, and can ship the head to me, I'll do it for much, much, much, less than $3k.
If the valves really is the probably I will be looking into upgrading to Ap2 retainers. How was your first S after upgrading ?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've taken a fairly neutral stance on RSG and Ballade, but I'm gonna come out and say I wouldn't trust either of their work. After reading, hearing and experiencing both myself I will only be taking my car to Rob @ Chewerks and Randy @ Evasive. Both those guys and shops are dependable and trustworthy.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
I've taken a fairly neutral stance on RSG and Ballade, but I'm gonna come out and say I wouldn't trust either of their work. After reading, hearing and experiencing both myself I will only be taking my car to Rob @ Chewerks and Randy @ Evasive. Both those guys and shops are dependable and trustworthy.
Thanks for your in put. im starting to feel the same with both Rsg and Ballade. I gave Evasive a call but they're all book for the next for weeks. So I went ahead and made an appointment with Rob @ Chewerks for this Sunday.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayeeeyorandy
If the valves really is the probably I will be looking into upgrading to Ap2 retainers. How was your first S after upgrading ?
It was tip top. I used it for track days and never had any issues. It even gave the local Porsche club a run for a handful of laps.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

exacly the rings isn't part of the issue. & it was the owner of rockstar telling me all this. When I asked how much for the rebuild head he would just keep pushing the 3k with new rings for a "fresh" start so I wouldn't have to come back 50k miles later and replace the rings when it does go out. I haven't checked what the valves spec are as rockstar said they wouldn't know the exact issue unless they remove the head. Right now I'm most likely going to get a second opinion from another shop probably evasive or Rob from Chewerks. But should I replace the rings now to avoid the issue of it going out later done the road? I honestly don't know when the rings are suppose to go out but I do know these ap1 motors do burn oil sometime down the line.
i've not heard of anyone replacing the rings, especially solely for the purpose of pre-emptive oil consumption control.

most owners just deal with topping off the oil. i believe the general consensus is that if you're going to replace the rings, you might as well drop in a used engine, like an ap2.

what is your current oil consumption rate?

ap1 usually burn oil and it gets progressively worse in a linear fashion. that being said, i'm at 210,000 miles and burning a lot of oil. so the engine will keep going.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

exacly the rings isn't part of the issue. & it was the owner of rockstar telling me all this. When I asked how much for the rebuild head he would just keep pushing the 3k with new rings for a "fresh" start so I wouldn't have to come back 50k miles later and replace the rings when it does go out. I haven't checked what the valves spec are as rockstar said they wouldn't know the exact issue unless they remove the head. Right now I'm most likely going to get a second opinion from another shop probably evasive or Rob from Chewerks. But should I replace the rings now to avoid the issue of it going out later done the road? I honestly don't know when the rings are suppose to go out but I do know these ap1 motors do burn oil sometime down the line.
All of our motors burn oil. It's odd that he would be recommending the rings right off the bat. If you approved the head work and he removes the head then finds scarring on the cylinder walls then that makes sense. You should definitely not be replacing rings right off the bat. Nobody replaces piston rings as preventative maintanence.

As for the head work, I'd say get a 2nd opinion. This is all based around you remembering how long the car was sitting for before ballade started doing the valve adjustment. A few extra dollars towards diagnosis in other shops is going to save you a ton of money.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
i've not heard of anyone replacing the rings, especially solely for the purpose of pre-emptive oil consumption control.

most owners just deal with topping off the oil. i believe the general consensus is that if you're going to replace the rings, you might as well drop in a used engine, like an ap2.

what is your current oil consumption rate?

ap1 usually burn oil and it gets progressively worse in a linear fashion. that being said, i'm at 210,000 miles and burning a lot of oil. so the engine will keep going.

ive had the car for about a year and half. I put on 20k miles. Bought the car at 37 miles and is exactly at 57k miles I have yet to notice any oil burning I keep up with my oil changes. Owner at Rsg said Im one of the Lucky ones if my rings are still good and haven't burned any oil.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by eight
All of our motors burn oil. It's odd that he would be recommending the rings right off the bat. If you approved the head work and he removes the head then finds scarring on the cylinder walls then that makes sense. You should definitely not be replacing rings right off the bat. Nobody replaces piston rings as preventative maintanence.

As for the head work, I'd say get a 2nd opinion. This is all based around you remembering how long the car was sitting for before ballade started doing the valve adjustment. A few extra dollars towards diagnosis in other shops is going to save you a ton of money.
Replacing rings was to prevent the rings going out in the future and burning oil. As Rsg owner said I have an Ap1 and the ring will eventually go out and start burning oil. If I approve the head job that's what he recommended since the head will be off already and will have easier access to the rings instead of in the future if I replace the rings they will have to remove the head anyways to get to the rings. That's what was explained to me on why replacing the rings now if I do the head job.

That's why I felt I should I should get a second and the purpose of this thread to help me decide if I should. When they first did the compession and saw the low compession in cylinder 1 they already said I had rebuild the head as cylinder 1 is "dead" I had to ask for a leak down test so I know what was causing the loss compression. After all that thats when they told me the intake valve had a leak and that I should replace my rings while I'm at at for the estimate cost of 3k. So I just felt like it was a money grab to them since I'm not burning oil and the rings isn't the issues. But then again I'm not a mechanic head. That's why I'm here now lol.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

holy fuqing shet, the owner wanted to replace your rings to prevent oil burning in the future and you don't currently have an oil burning issue?????????????

oh my fuqing GAWWWWWWDDDD WTFFFFFFFF
Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had my head rebuilt at Evasive and if you're worried about pricing it was similar. It also included replacement of oil pump, water pump, timing chain, etc. PM me and I can give you more details. I also got this at 180k miles. Luckily the block was still good and didn't need to be touched.

I've always had my work done by them, and never had any issues. Hope this helps.