California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Sensor and Cat question, smog due soon

Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Sensor and Cat question, smog due soon

Hi all,

I have some questions/concern regarding the sensor and the cat. It has been some time now that I have the check engine on and I ran the machine and it said P0141 which is the sensor that goes on the cat so I went and I bought a used one but at the same time I knew the cat might have gone bad, which it did. So I ended up buying one off this guy and it was my fault that I did not ask for pictures before buying it (not sure where my mind was) anyways he said it was for and s2k and seems to be a legit guy so I bought it cus I needed it. (when I bought it he was driving his S so that made it seems even more legit so I did not question it). Long story short. it does fit in the car, however, the placement of the sensor is not where the other one was (see pics). So I put it together and the sensor was really tight with the upper-in-the-frame/body shield but I thought it might not move a lot so it should be fine. However, it kind of made a hole in the shield so I am willing to replace it. I drove it to work Monday 150 miles total because I heard that you need to drive it around 100 miles so the computer can recognize it. I asked my friend to see if he could take it to get it smoged on tuesday and he took the car but then after his lunch, the light came back on and at night the same code came up.

So now, my questions: Is the cat I have now made for our cars? I am trying to buy a cheap sensor just to pass smog, any recommendations? anyone have a cheap cat for sale?

If my post is not appropriate, please remove.

Thanks,
Hector

Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Photo doesn't look familiar. Not an S2000 part for sure.

FYI the Berk 63.5mm high flow cat in my 2006 car does not light the CEL using the OE sensor. Car passed self-service smog in Ohio three times. These are kiosks with a scan reader that loads the data from the bar code in the door jam and then a cable is connected to the OBD2 port under the dash. No clue about testing in California though.

-- Chuck
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
FYI the Berk 63.5mm high flow cat in my 2006 car does not light the CEL using the OE sensor. Car passed self-service smog in Ohio three times. These are kiosks with a scan reader that loads the data from the bar code in the door jam and then a cable is connected to the OBD2 port under the dash. No clue about testing in California though.

-- Chuck
As long as it's not throwing a code, it will pass in CA if they don't catch it during the visual inspection. They no longer do a sniffer test on cars MY2000+.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

That's not an OEM cat, which is why you're having fitment issues with the sensor. It's just an aftermarket replacement core (like magnaflow or similar) welded in by a muffler shop.

If you want to make this easy on yourself, contact @mazdaspeed00 Alan Lee. He should be able to help you out with the parts. He's in La Habra.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Photo doesn't look familiar. Not an S2000 part for sure.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I am looking into the Berk but they are not legal in CA with the new law, so I will be looking for a different one or trying to get an OEM. Also, an update. I put it back together last night and drove to work and the light did not turn on so I took it to get it smogged and it passed something less to worry about.

Any other suggestion on a different cat?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM

I took it this morning and it passed thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Thanks, I will reach out to him.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 AM

but they are not legal in CA with the new law
New law? Gotta be as legal as what's on there now.

-- Chuck
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM

No new law, sorry but regulation I am assuming. This is what I got from: https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...m-honda-s2000/

NOTE: Not for sale or street use in CA & CARB States. Check your state and local law requirements and regulations.

Might still buy it though
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 AM

That's the cat on my car that's passed smog but never checked by me personally in California. Check other posts as I recall these are common in CA and pass smog.

Can be stealthily placed inside the OE heatshields and if no CEL, strictly an ODB2 port check, and the ECU reports all readiness codes are good who's to know? And it is a legitimate catalytic converter, not a stinky, polluting "test pipe."

I had a welding shop fit the tabs. Heatshield bolted right on it.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Sensor and Cat question, smog due soon