California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

So I got pulled over...

Old 01-23-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got pulled over...

So I got pulled over and it worked out so well I thought I'd pass it on:

I was coming down Del Amo Blvd from Prarie to Hawthorne when a cop in a patrol car appeared behind me. Although he seemed aggressively haunting my back bumper I wasn't sure how much he saw of my speed. He wasn't behind me when I turned off Prarie, my Valentine 1 never went off, I didn't notice him until I pulled up to the light. I was hoping it would be cool...

Then we crossed Hawthorne and he hit his lights. I turned onto a side street and parked, sat with my hands clearly on the wheel. As he walked up his radio blared ...2003 honda, registered to (my last name). He asked and got license, registration, insurance... Then he started to talk:

"How long have you had this car?" He asked.
"Uh, about a month and a half..."
"It's a nice car. Would you like to still be driving it in 6 months?"
"I certainly hope so!"
"Do you know what the speed limit is back on Del Amo?"
"No, no I don't"
"To be honest, neither do I. I'd imagine 35, maybe 40, I know that it definitely isn't 65!"

This is when I knew I was in the clear. Odds are good that I was going closer to 90, and if he didn't accurately know my speed then he wasn't ready to write a ticket. Still, it never pays to be a dick to the Police, so I said:

"I was doing _65_? Really? Wow!"
"Yep," He said, "and I have to tell you, if you keep driving like that, you won't have a license in 6 months. I'll let you off with a warning today, but you have to take it easy."
"I will" I lied, "and thanks!"

He hopped in his car and drove away FAST, just like that. He knew what was up, he was just letting me know he had noticed. No ticket for missing front license, no pop the hood let me see what you have under there, just a freindly warning the way it should be. I certainly didn't tell him that I have been driving that same route several times a day for 8 years at pretty much the same speeds...

=================

The experience was much better than the last time I got pulled over, at 190th and Prarie, back around 2000. I was in my Integra GSR, breaking a buck on the hill between Del Amo and 190th like I did every day, and as I pulled up to the light I see a CycleCop ™ crest the hill, lights blazing, and swing in behind me. This cop was a raving dick, and he kept on trying to get me to admit I was speeding, or to state a rate of speed - and the more I deflected his comments, the more red, the more pissed he got.

"Do you have any idea how FAST you were going?" He started.
"No sir! I thought I was just keeping pace with traffic," I answered.
"All I know is that I was doing 65 and you were pulling away from me like I was standing still!"
"Really officer?"
"Are you late for work?"
"No sir" I lied - I was, but in those dark days of my career I was late every day anyhow.
"Are you in a hurry?"
"No sir..." I answered truthfully - since I was late every day I didn't need to hurry.
"How fast do you think you were going?"
"I really don't know - I was looking at the road, not the speedometer."
"Are you upset about something?"
"Nope!"
"If you had to guess, how fast do you think you were going?"
"I really couldn't say sir. I did pass that van that was driving funny, but other than that I thought I was doing the speed limit"

It went on like that for what seemed forever, the cop getting snottier and redder and more pissed off, just being a real dick about the whole thing. Since he didn't have radar/laser up and he couldn't track me at speed for the proper duration the only chance he had of ticketing me was for me to confess - and I wasn't going to help, although I knew better than to get pissy back at him.

Finally he gave up, snarled that he was giving me a warning and that he would be watching for me, and sent me on my way. I did see him around, often my V1 picked him out before I did, but so far so good - I hope he is still looking for that GSR!

Moral of the story: Sedan cop good, Cycle cop bad.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:38 PM

damn, congrats! cops around there are DICKS!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:21 PM

almost the same thing happened to me not long ago

drive careful and drive fun
Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stockae92
almost the same thing happened to me not long ago
Old 01-23-2004, 04:12 PM

be careful next time..the warning he gave you its in driver license next time you got pulled over they ll give you ticket..you gotta wacth out bro ayt......
Old 01-23-2004, 04:15 PM

Damn cops always pickin on the white guy

Hey oatnet
Old 01-23-2004, 05:15 PM

yea, it's all up to the mood of the cop. I've had my fair share of unfriendly cops that already predetermine if they are going to give you a ticket before they pull you over.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
Damn cops always pickin on the white guy
Old 01-23-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oatnet

"To be honest, neither do I.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:34 AM

Let off by a Torrance cop?.....very rare happening.

Quick Reply: So I got pulled over...