California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

State Referee help

Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Even if I had all my stock parts, just the thought of replacing the entire fuel system, hotside, coldside, and exhaust is daunting. Well, now that I've listed it all out it's not that bad at all. Maybe a weekend to get it all done. Hopefully somebody in the community has a stock intake and exhaust they can sell me...
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2kalan
Good to know, I am so paranoid about getting state reffed.... What are your fees looking like?
Originally Posted by Mijae007
Me too, once you go turbo theres almost no going back...most my stock parts are gone too I have nightmares about this shit lol
My case is officially over, the fees for state referree were $116.25($108 for noise test and $8.25 for smog/visual) and my fines were $25 for correction of exhaust noise and $25 for correction relating to emissions. The judge said if it would have been $900+ whether or not I corrected both cited violations but I provided proof of passing smog from both ref stations and previous smog checks. Plus you would also have to pay the fines for any other citations you also received at the time. If i were boosted I would just pay the fine without correction as my option if going back to stock was too much of a hassle.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ateens4
My case is officially over, the fees for state referree were $116.25($108 for noise test and $8.25 for smog/visual) and my fines were $25 for correction of exhaust noise and $25 for correction relating to emissions. The judge said if it would have been $900+ whether or not I corrected both cited violations but I provided proof of passing smog from both ref stations and previous smog checks. Plus you would also have to pay the fines for any other citations you also received at the time. If i were boosted I would just pay the fine without correction as my option if going back to stock was too much of a hassle.
What was your total cost including parts to go back to stock and all fines??
Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 PM

What was your total cost including parts to go back to stock and all fines??
$406 ($212 in fines, $116 state ref, and the rest were parts)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Doesn't the citation, initially, need to be marked as non correctable in order to just pay that fee? You can't have it retroactively marked as non correctable- as far as I know.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard tall tales that a ref ticket will cost you 2-3 grand. I guess they were just lying. I feel much better knowing that the damage won't be so bad.

With all these regulations, I really want to non-op my car and just take it to Adams every month to get my fix.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Doesn't the citation, initially, need to be marked as non correctable in order to just pay that fee? You can't have it retroactively marked as non correctable- as far as I know.
Both my modified exhaust and missing/modified emissions device were marked as non-correctable. I showed proof of passing both tests and paid my corrections fee. Its up to your judge.
I've heard tall tales that a ref ticket will cost you 2-3 grand. I guess they were just lying. I feel much better knowing that the damage won't be so bad.

With all these regulations, I really want to non-op my car and just take it to Adams every month to get my fix.
2 guys I talked to about it said they also had to go to court, one friend said he paid $1600 and the other said he paid $600, for the same violations. The judge said mine could have cost $900+ if I didn't show proof of correction.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 PM

So you took it upon yourself to have your car inspected without prior approval? Sounds like a gamble.

I was written up for my car being "too low", having an aftermarket exhaust and no front license plate. All citations were marked uncorrectable. In total, my fines were somewhere ~$550-600. The amount I would have had to pay to correct my violations, plus the correctable fine amount would have nearly amounted to the non corrected fine. I saw it as an unintentional blessing that I didn't have to waste my time/money putting the car back to stock.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
So you took it upon yourself to have your car inspected without prior approval? Sounds like a gamble.

I was written up for my car being "too low", having an aftermarket exhaust and no front license plate. All citations were marked uncorrectable. In total, my fines were somewhere ~$550-600. The amount I would have had to pay to correct my violations, plus the correctable fine amount would have nearly amounted to the non corrected fine. I saw it as an unintentional blessing that I didn't have to waste my time/money putting the car back to stock.
I got the state ref sticker on my citation so I had to get it inspected before it could be cleared
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 AM

That's strange/f'dup that they would ref you AND try to fine you as non-correctable.

Quick Reply: State Referee help