California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Webmasters

Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Webmasters

Somehow I got volunteered into creating a website for some noobs. It's been 10 years since I wrote any HTML so need your advice on a few questions:

1) Where should I register their domain name?
2) Who has the best hosting service?
3) What is the best tool for making a simple, static web pages? (I used Dreamweaver back in the 90's)
4) They need a calendar function to display events. Any tools that have this ready-made?
5) They want to have email addresses for their domain so it needs a mail server or whatever you recommend, e.g. bert05gpw@ournewdomain.org, bert05gpw@jcreceives.org, etc)

Here's my biggest worry -- at some point these noobs will have to take over maintaining their web site so I need something EASY for them to handle. For instance, they are not able to edit the /etc/.rc file or twiddle bits in a hex editor -- they need EASY. Honestly, I don't expect the html to change to often. They will have a News, FAQ, Calendar, About Us, Pictures, and Volunteer sections. Nothing fancy.

What do you recommend?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1) godaddy (their upsells are annoying but they have good pricing if you find a coupon code... you could also look into enom, namecheap, or wherever you decide to host)

2) For dedicated servers, I have been with layeredtech.com for 5 years now... I also keep a shared server around with MediaTemple

3) Wordpress

4) Wordpress plugin

5) Your host can do this... you could also use gmail hosted
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most domain name registrars are equal, so long as you plan to keep the domain registered with them forever.

I host with Lunar Pages (<-- affiliate URL). It's always easy to get a hold of them on the phone and they are easy to work with. The servers are reliable and their control panel is "simple". Ofcourse, that's a relative term and chances are anything will be too hard for most non-computer-people.

If you want a site they can maintain (and with a calendar) then you should just set them up with a CMS package. Drupal, Joomla, even Wordpress.

I strongly recommend against gmail hosting your email. If you have a problem with Google, good luck getting them on the phone for help. Email is usually included with hosting (it is with Lunarpages).
Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Depends on what you are looking for and how much traffic.

Personally I use http://www.xlhost.com/ for my dedicated webserver with unlimited bandwith and http://www.singlehop.com/ for my dedicated gameservers. And I have cheap shared hosting servers on http://www.hostgator.com/ to use as my download/patch servers to save bandwith on my dedicated servers.

If you are wanting something that is easy for someone to update without going in and manually updating the page source I would recommend a CMS also. I use vbulletin with the VBAdvanced CMS and VBSEO (great search engine optimizer).

A setup like that doesn't appeal to the average person making a site to share a few pictures but if they are trying to start a business I would highly recommend it. The licenses for all the programs I mentioned would cost about $600.

You can visit my site and see what I was talking about here http://www.brazen-gaming.com I have calendar disabled and I have a custom reskin with a few hacks to VB to make my site look different than the standard VB site look.

Makes things nice and easy to update if you can use a forum and make posts you can update the website. No changes to source just make or update a post and be done. I originally used free php alternatives but it is SO much easier and I am glad I made the change. Also Vbulletin is always releasing patches to make sure your site is secure taking a lot of the hard work away from the inexperienced.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 AM

There's a datacenter in Irvine that does shared hosting, which should be what you need.

www.nextmill.net

All hosting packages have full email services, too.

I'm interning there right now shameless plug.