California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Who Can Fix Power Steering?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who Can Fix Power Steering?

Hey all,

I'm about ready to go to a dealership. I've gotten my car serviced at Ballade and Legit Automotive in Hollywood with both glimmering reviews, but no one ever pointed out that my power steering is f@#ked up until my friend with an s2000 drove my car. I drove his and then I drove someone elses and determined my steering wheel feels very heavy, especially when doing a three point turn. There is no EPS light. From my understanding, a Honda dealership has tools to diagnose the EPS system, but I am afraid they are going to say "you need a new rack" or some bullshit to steal my money. Is there any good shop that has fixed EPS before? I just want my car to feel as it is intended. I'm willing to drive hundreds of miles for someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe go to Rockstar garage or evasive. That's weird that the eps light isn't on.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Your buddy has the same model year car and tires?

Steering ratios may have changed from your first year production car. Giant front tires don't help in slow turns either.

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2015, 12:12 PM

He has a 2006. My s2000 has Ap2v1 wheels with Dunlop Direzza Star spec 2 tires that are staggered.

Yeah, it's weird. I think I need to drive another ap1 to see some more comparisons. Is anyone willing to check out my problem to verify and let me compare their ap1 to mine?
Originally Posted by Chuck S
Your buddy has the same model year car and tires?

Steering ratios may have changed from your first year production car. Giant front tires don't help in slow turns either.

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have no EPS light, and everything is electrical sound, then it is the motor on the rack going out or gone. I'm going through this same issue, picking up my low mileage rack on monday. Used should be around $200-250
Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by bes2k
Hey all,

I'm about ready to go to a dealership. I've gotten my car serviced at Ballade and Legit Automotive in Hollywood with both glimmering reviews, but no one ever pointed out that my power steering is f@#ked up until my friend with an s2000 drove my car. I drove his and then I drove someone elses and determined my steering wheel feels very heavy, especially when doing a three point turn. There is no EPS light. From my understanding, a Honda dealership has tools to diagnose the EPS system, but I am afraid they are going to say "you need a new rack" or some bullshit to steal my money. Is there any good shop that has fixed EPS before? I just want my car to feel as it is intended. I'm willing to drive hundreds of miles for someone who knows what they're doing.

Your car never threw any check engine light (CEL) codes or EPS lamp never lit-up? Specifically CEL numbers P05xx or P06xx? See stitos2K post:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/378...-light-thread/

Good luck with the fix!
Old 11-29-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The ap1's steering rack has a different ratio than an ap2's steering rack. My old ap1 on ap2v1 wheel's had "heavier" feeling steering until I switched over to an ap2 steering rack. My steering rack needed to be replaced because it wouldn't automatically unwind from left turns anymore after I went into the tire wall at BRP at about 40 mph.

Alignment can also play a role in feel, castor specifically.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
If you have no EPS light, and everything is electrical sound, then it is the motor on the rack going out or gone. I'm going through this same issue, picking up my low mileage rack on monday. Used should be around $200-250
No EPS light. I do have some weird issues where the lights on the temperature control disappear randomly. Not sure if this is electrical. So your steering wheel feels heavy at a stop too, but not while car is moving past 10mph? I'm talking like it feels like at least 8 lbs of pressure when the car is under 5mph to turn the wheel.

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by bes2k' timestamp='1448338299' post='23811127
Hey all,

Your car never threw any check engine light (CEL) codes or EPS lamp never lit-up? Specifically CEL numbers P05xx or P06xx? See stitos2K post:

https://www.s2ki.com/...e-light-thread/

Good luck with the fix!
It threw check engine lights before but they have all been addressed. The steering has felt like this since I bought the car earlier this year.

Originally Posted by -=Zeqs=-
The ap1's steering rack has a different ratio than an ap2's steering rack. My old ap1 on ap2v1 wheel's had "heavier" feeling steering until I switched over to an ap2 steering rack. My steering rack needed to be replaced because it wouldn't automatically unwind from left turns anymore after I went into the tire wall at BRP at about 40 mph.

Fortunately for me, the steering wheel returns to center. Maybe that would be a good upgrade, ap2 steering rack with low miles...I'll look into it.

Alignment was done at West End Alignment. They said one of my caster settings was frozen, but frozen at Maximum. I think it was the front right. Wonder how much this has to do with it.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bes2k
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1448746623' post='23814570
No EPS light. I do have some weird issues where the lights on the temperature control disappear randomly. Not sure if this is electrical. So your steering wheel feels heavy at a stop too, but not while car is moving past 10mph? I'm talking like it feels like at least 8 lbs of pressure when the car is under 5mph to turn the wheel.

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by bes2k' timestamp='1448338299' post='23811127
Hey all,

https://www.s2ki.com/...e-light-thread/

Good luck with the fix!
It threw check engine lights before but they have all been addressed. The steering has felt like this since I bought the car earlier this year.

Originally Posted by -=Zeqs=-

Fortunately for me, the steering wheel returns to center. Maybe that would be a good upgrade, ap2 steering rack with low miles...I'll look into it.

Alignment was done at West End Alignment. They said one of my caster settings was frozen, but frozen at Maximum. I think it was the front right. Wonder how much this has to do with it.
Caster will affect the feel of your steering wheel.

If you do end up getting a ap2 steering rack, make sure you get it with the ap2 torque sensor, they are different due to the different turn ratios of the racks. I would be interested in your ap1 steering rack and torque sensor as well.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:18 PM

I am moving this thread to suspension...I think I figured it out.

Caster Adjuster Repair Question

Last edited by bes2k; 06-09-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Irrelevant to this part of the forum

Quick Reply: Who Can Fix Power Steering?