S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Anyone driven or own a new MINI S ? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/anyone-driven-own-new-mini-s-541454/)

rai 11-08-2007 05:20 PM

Anyone driven or own a new MINI S ?

I was looking at the Mini website. They really did a nice job.

Has anyone here driven the new MINI S?

How does it stack up against the Si, GTi or MS3 in fun-to-drive?

Did people realise you can start with a $21K (base) and add more than $20K in options? (up to $42K). I admit this is excessive but about $8K in options are well worth having (IMO). ie. for me a nicely equiped Mini S would be about $28K (ish).

yosephs2k 11-08-2007 05:35 PM

i sat in it at the dealership. i only drove a normal mini before and i noticed a very big increase in interior space. its more comfortable. softer seats. i think its cause they increased the hood length a couple of inches from the older mini s.

didnt get to test drive it though :(

kumainu 11-08-2007 06:23 PM

$42K for a fully optioned Mini? :LOL:

Euclid 11-08-2007 06:35 PM

I've driven one. It's a better car in every way than the previous gen one. It's quicker, slightly more roomy, better interior quality, and just as fun to drive. Optioned how I'd want it it's ~$27k, which isn't bad. It's smaller than any of the other cars you mentioned so if room is of concern.... It's definitely more fun to drive than the GTI I've driven. I haven't driven an SI or MS3 so I can't comment on those.

negcamber 11-08-2007 07:04 PM

I drove one...was very impressed. Around town it is a blast. 0-45 feels easily as quick as the stook. Lots of cool little features and gadgets. Road holding was better than I thought it would be and very neutral handling for a fwd car.

Onehots2k 11-08-2007 07:56 PM

I drove a basic previous gen model and lemme tell you. It was fuuuunn!!! It wasnt even the S. I price one from time to time and it comes out around 26-27k.

rai 11-09-2007 04:51 AM

They have a great 'build-it' tool. For example if you add HIDs ($600) and Stability Control ($500) it will let you know you can opt for the sport package for $300 more that will give you those two options and various other features as well. It makes you see that in a way the packages will save you some if you want all the features in the pack.

I also like how you can get so many different options, colors, stripes etc.. make it custom from the factory unlike say a S2000 with no option except color.

I have not driven one, but it's about the same weight (maybe less) as the S2000 with (?) 190-TQ so I imagine it's quick off the line.

I did drive a GTi which is about 500 lbs heavier. One thing I like about the GTi is how roomie it was especially the rear seat, the Mini (it seems) has a tiny rear seat area and trunk.

nearwater4me 11-09-2007 06:13 AM

Test drove the MCS w/ automatic a while ago, and was impressed with the car.
It sure is a fun car to drive. Torquey engine, nice brakes, nice interior, good handling, etc.
When you add all the nice options and packages, it'll be almost 30k and honestly, I don't think it's a bad deal considering that they have bullet proof resale values.
I really liked the older mini design, though.
It's hard to notice, but every single body panel has been redesigned for the newer models, and imo, the older models looked more compact.

Dan

Onehots2k 11-09-2007 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Nov 9 2007, 07:13 AM
Test drove the MCS w/ automatic a while ago, and was impressed with the car.
It sure is a fun car to drive. Torquey engine, nice brakes, nice interior, good handling, etc.
When you add all the nice options and packages, it'll be almost 30k and honestly, I don't think it's a bad deal considering that they have bullet proof resale values.
I really liked the older mini design, though.
It's hard to notice, but every single body panel has been redesigned for the newer models, and imo, the older models looked more compact.

Dan

Totally agree with you Dan. I've heard that ''Vishnu'' promised some software similar to that on the 335i's for the new mini's turbo.... I'm still waiting..

Soul Coughing 11-09-2007 08:08 AM

my dad has a '03 MCS with 19% pulley reduction, JCW 380cc injectors, QS exhaust and GIAC tuning and the car is alot of fun! Its great around the corners and is as fast as a stock S2K in the straights, up to about 100mph.

I test drove a new MCS and the car is alot more refined than the older supercharged versions. It feels alot dartier than the already quick steering 03 we have. The turbo spools quickly and feels like it is making more power (at least torque) than the modified 03 we have. It has more features, but feels like its missing some of the original feel of the 1st gen BMW Mini Cooper S. I would check out the older gen as well before you make a final decision.