S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Attn: Dr. Airgate... WTF is *this*??? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/attn-dr-airgate-wtf-%2A%2A-90676/)

alexf20c 11-11-2002 09:13 PM

it's a honda - it will sell. traditionally, honda styling is bland and uninspiring - but that's honda's thing: conservative, understated styling.

the element is anything but. though i'm sure it will sell. it's obviously aimed at younger buyers whose parents are looking for an affordable and reliable first car; finally, maybe these kids will get a car that they actually want.

yes, i said 'want.' do you remember whent he xterra was announced for production? i thought it was the ugliest thing ever, but look how well it's doing. it's even starting to grow on me; it's starting to look pretty damn good. the element is much more bold in the statement it's making (eventually it will earn its acceptance), but the bottom line is it's a honda, and it will sell.

if they can sell bland (aesthetically at least) cars like the acuras (sans nsx), accords, civics, pilot, cr-v (heck, even our s2000 can be called bland) so much so that there's a waiting list months after being first released (i.e. odyssey and pilot), surely, this element will be a hit with the youger generation.

i dunno. whatever.

pbm317 11-11-2002 10:55 PM

I agree, needs more power!!

le car 11-12-2002 01:32 AM

looks very cool to me

and...

It's the first mass-produced car to arrive on the market with SUICIDE DOORS - before the RX8 and others that will certainly follow.

SteveUCI 11-12-2002 02:38 AM

Originally posted by le car
looks very cool to me

and...

It's the first mass-produced car to arrive on the market with SUICIDE DOORS - before the RX8 and others that will certainly follow.

Hmm.... wasn't/isn't there a Saturn with a little suicide door on one side?

le car 11-12-2002 03:52 AM

Originally posted by SteveUCI

oops...maybe.. but to be honest we don't get to see a lot of saturns on this side of the world.
Who makes them?
are they any good?

StrangeDaze 11-12-2002 04:59 AM

Originally posted by alexf20c
it's a honda - it will sell.
Tell that to the new Civic Si!!!
:(

StrangeDaze 11-12-2002 05:22 AM

Originally posted by SteveUCI

Yeah, the Saturn Coupe's have a third door. I can't figure out why they only put that door on the one side. I mean, it makes sense to put it on the driver's side if you are only going to put one extra door, but why not just put one on each side?

Anyway, I always thought that third door on the Saturn was useless... until last month. I went out with a friend to buy him a new monitor and we got a 21" Sony monitor box into the back seat of his Saturn using that door! When the dude from CompUSA wheeled the box out to us, he was like:
:eek3:
But it all fit right in with a couple of inches to spare all the way around.

Also, don't forgot the trucks that were coming with those little suicide doors for a while.

w1ngman 11-12-2002 05:47 AM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
Also, don't forgot the trucks that were coming with those little suicide doors for a while.
Yup...my wife owns one of those:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...e16fe96ad4.jpg

And the access granted from those doors is fantastic!:cool:

alexf20c 11-12-2002 06:12 AM

i wouldn't exactly call all of these doors on trucks and saturns 'suicide doors.' they aren't exactly that suicidal as they can only be opened when the front door is open. a true 'suicide door' is one which can be opened 'backwards' by itself. they tended to be a bit dangerous when new passengers mistake the door latch for a grab handle while on the freeway, thus ejecting them to certain death; hence the name suicide door.

i dunno. whatever.

w1ngman 11-12-2002 06:30 AM

Originally posted by alexf20c
i wouldn't exactly call all of these doors on trucks and saturns 'suicide doors.' they aren't exactly that suicidal as they can only be opened when the front door is open. a true 'suicide door' is one which can be opened 'backwards' by itself. they tended to be a bit dangerous when new passengers mistake the door latch for a grab handle while on the freeway, thus ejecting them to certain death; hence the name suicide door.

i dunno. whatever.

No...you are absolutely correct. *True* Suicide doors are a thing of the past...