S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Car fanaticism (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/car-fanaticism-520188/)

J3ffro 08-27-2007 07:42 AM

Car fanaticism

I'm curious about people and their fanaticism about cars. Seems like there's a lot of people out there who scream to the ends of the earth that their car is the best on the planet at everything. Where did that come from? Is it a horribly placed cry for people to agree with them thus justifying the purchase? Or did it start before they owned the car, hence the reason they bought the car.

I'd consider most people in here to be car fanatics, but not necesarily about what they currently drive. Any thoughts on, did fanboi's become fanboi's because they bought a certain car, or did they buy the car because they were fanboi's already?

sparrow 08-27-2007 08:06 AM

depends on what kind of car it is...honda= pre-purchase fanboi, bmw=post purchase fanboi lol

The Gasman 08-27-2007 08:11 AM

It's just people needing to identify themselves with something as an extention of themselves. Like sports teams.

bjohnston 08-27-2007 08:17 AM

I don't get it. Never have. I'd buy any make if they put out the car that appeals to me the most.

s2kpdx01 08-27-2007 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Aug 27 2007, 08:11 AM
It's just people needing to identify themselves with something as an extention of themselves. Like sports teams.

:iagree:
A way to try and feel special without having to do any of the hard work yourself!

TommyDeVito 08-27-2007 10:16 AM

AS with any forum, whatever they drive is the best.

dombey 08-27-2007 11:48 AM

Good call on the sports teams analogy...

Penforhire 08-27-2007 12:09 PM

People want to defend their choice as the best that could be made. Nobody wants to be the fool.

I suppose some reasons run deeper, like always wanting one "those" cars since you were a kid or a favorite relative who always spoke highly of them.

Slamnasty 08-27-2007 04:48 PM

People become fanbois by different means I think. Some will become so because a given car from a given make was the first they ever owned/bought, so they get emotionally attached beyond the scope of just ownership. Others maybe drove something (perhaps about a vehicle they paid for with hard earned money), and once heard a harsh criticism about their vehicle in an indirect fashion, and thus came to its defense. Others will have been influenced by people around them. Others just know what they want, and a given car/make fulfills that in an intangible way.

I'm sure there are others, but I think these reasons comprise the most logical reasons.

Nate4635 08-27-2007 07:18 PM

Yea, i was a S2k fan longbefore I owned one. And there have been a LOT of cars that I've liked when they came out, but the more I learned about them the less appealing they were to me. Everything I learned and everytime I drove an S2k it just made my affection for them stronger. I hate to feel like a fanboy when i talk to people about cars, regarding the S2k, but I really am..... Its the perfect car for me. I understand that for most people it may not be - but for what I can afford there is no other car I'd want to drive.

Now I guess I could be called a Ferrari fanboy as well.....unless you have to own one to get that title?? :)

Nate