S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   The death of the manual gearbox (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/death-manual-gearbox-1093383/)

NuncoStr8 08-08-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 23278406)
If you get stuck in the snow with a manual, a lot of the time you can get out of it by "rocking" the car back and forth in 1st and Reverse gears.

Someone please tell me how you do this with a DCT? You sure as shit can't with an automatic.

It works the same with an auto as it does with a stick. Not sure where you got the idea it couldn't be done. I've done it many times.

Not sure how it would work with a paddleshift auto, not played with one long enough to know. I would imagine it's a bit clunky, but I would also expect the typical response would be "You don't, you call Triple-A."

mosesbotbol 08-10-2014 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8 (Post 23279464)
It works the same with an auto ass it does with a stick. Not sure where you got the idea it couldn't be done. I've done it many times.

Not sure how it would work with a paddleshift auto, not played with one long enough to know. I would imagine it's a bit clunky, but I would also expect the typical response would be "You don't, you call Triple-A."

I wait until the street is plowed before driving the flappies' car.

WolfpackS2k 08-11-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8 (Post 23279464)

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1407508383' post='23278406
If you get stuck in the snow with a manual, a lot of the time you can get out of it by "rocking" the car back and forth in 1st and Reverse gears.

Someone please tell me how you do this with a DCT? You sure as shit can't with an automatic.

It works the same with an auto as it does with a stick. Not sure where you got the idea it couldn't be done. I've done it many times.

No it doesn't work with an automatic. Bc when you quickly shift from D to R you cannot hit the gas pedal immediately bc the transmission isn't as fast as you. I mean you "can" hit the gas pedal immediately but you'll just get a nice crunch sound.

I suppose it would work on the best of the autos, but not most.

rob-2 08-11-2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 23278406)

Really? Did it most of my teenage years living in snow country. An auto can and will be rocked with little bit of on/off throttle and quick back and forth.

Heck, got my Subaru suck in some mud and we managed just fine a few months ago.

Oh... the ignorance :smelly:

Playing with you ;)

berny2435 08-11-2014 09:46 AM

I'm thinking the Autorev match might take the manual driving experience to new heights for people that want to keep rowing :drive: I hear the Carrera S Manual has the option of turning off the rev-match. Sport + mode engages the rev matching. Kinda stupid you can't just have it in any driving mode. Some would probably not want it in Sport + mode. Kinda funny how they make you rev match for daily driving which is likely where you'd want it most of the time bc that's when your mind is sort of lazy and not focusing as well as you would be on track or AutoX.

I just saw a racing vid of a 6spd manual and it appeared to be almost like a sequential shift operation but with H pattern rowing and auto-rev match on downshifts. I do not know what gearbox it has but it's a E36 M3 with a V8 and this guy downshifts it quick without healtoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWzXbqB-nI

HUNTERANGEL121 08-12-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435 (Post 23282026)
I'm thinking the Autorev match might take the manual driving experience to new heights for people that want to keep rowing :drive: I hear the Carrera S Manual has the option of turning off the rev-match. Sport + mode engages the rev matching. Kinda stupid you can't just have it in any driving mode. Some would probably not want it in Sport + mode. Kinda funny how they make you rev match for daily driving which is likely where you'd want it most of the time bc that's when your mind is sort of lazy and not focusing as well as you would be on track or AutoX.

I just saw a racing vid of a 6spd manual and it appeared to be almost like a sequential shift operation but with H pattern rowing and auto-rev match on downshifts. I do not know what gearbox it has but it's a E36 M3 with a V8 and this guy downshifts it quick without healtoe.

That's a straight cut gear box.
Still traditional clutch. Just stronger from what I know.

berny2435 08-13-2014 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121 (Post 23284699)

Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1407779180' post='23282026

I posted the question on that video so hopefully they will reply. Pretty obvious it has aggressively cut gears with the whine going on. Straight cut gearing has less drivetrain loss than a typical production car box. Strength depends on many things, not just the cut on the gears though. I did have the thought that he's just that good at timing downshifts durring braking with that transmission that rev matching with the throttle isn't really a necessity.

HUNTERANGEL121 08-13-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by berny2435 (Post 23285135)

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121' timestamp='1407908671' post='23284699
[quote name='berny2435' timestamp='1407779180' post='23282026']I just saw a racing vid of a 6spd manual and it appeared to be almost like a sequential shift operation but with H pattern rowing and auto-rev match on downshifts. I do not know what gearbox it has but it's a E36 M3 with a V8 and this guy downshifts it quick without healtoe.

I posted the question on that video so hopefully they will reply. Pretty obvious it has aggressively cut gears with the whine going on. Straight cut gearing has less drivetrain loss than a typical production car box. Strength depends on many things, not just the cut on the gears though. I did have the thought that he's just that good at timing downshifts durring braking with that transmission that rev matching with the throttle isn't really a necessity.
[/quote]
There was a video of how to drive a dogbox. It seems that you don't need to blip the throttle.