S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   FT-86 Price Increase (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/ft-86-price-increase-783372/)

TheDonEffect 04-21-2010 08:51 AM

Gee, seriously, who didn't see this coming? When has toyota ever made a cheap sports car? The hachi roku was a cheap hatchback that happened to be rwd that people took advantage of. Think about it, small, uninspiring hatchback with a live rear axle and anemic engine, they just happened to get it right. And what did toyota do after the ae86? Fwd. What was it before teh ae86? Rwd.
And now they're marketing upmarket? I mean yeah, I'm sure they'll find butts for those seats but I seriosuly doubt they'll be 40+ year olds, most by then want something more civil, and most don't want to be associated with boy racer types. I mean, have they not learned anything from acura's integra/rsx? They could market it towards the older crowd all they want, but it's the younger <30 crowd that's gonna ultimately test drive them.
And now we got 300hp V6 stangs and camaros at fleet car prices (or will be by the time this car hits the streets), you got a genesis coupe v6 with 300hp that can be had for under 30K with virtually all the options and a 10 year warranty. And then you also have the plethora of fwd hot hatches that are making serious power and achieving serious times.
So with all this, Toyota decided the engines dont run green enough, therefore needs to increase prices, and needs to water it down to appeal to the older folks. How does any of this translate to excitement?
They absolutely need to have a turbo variant for under 30K well equipped othewise this car fails imo. Unless they offer something magical, but when I think Toyota, I don't think visceral driving experiences.
Disappointing because I was looking forward to this car, hopefully Nissan goes through with the silvia idea and gets it right.
/rant.

Saki GT 04-21-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Presto123,Apr 21 2010, 12:16 PM
^ wtf is that? a sporty venza?

Exactly.

Onehots2k 04-21-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Apr 21 2010, 08:51 AM
Gee, seriously, who didn't see this coming? When has toyota ever made a cheap sports car? The hachi roku was a cheap hatchback that happened to be rwd that people took advantage of. Think about it, small, uninspiring hatchback with a live rear axle and anemic engine, they just happened to get it right. And what did toyota do after the ae86? Fwd. What was it before teh ae86? Rwd.
And now they're marketing upmarket? I mean yeah, I'm sure they'll find butts for those seats but I seriosuly doubt they'll be 40+ year olds, most by then want something more civil, and most don't want to be associated with boy racer types. I mean, have they not learned anything from acura's integra/rsx? They could market it towards the older crowd all they want, but it's the younger <30 crowd that's gonna ultimately test drive them.
And now we got 300hp V6 stangs and camaros at fleet car prices (or will be by the time this car hits the streets), you got a genesis coupe v6 with 300hp that can be had for under 30K with virtually all the options and a 10 year warranty. And then you also have the plethora of fwd hot hatches that are making serious power and achieving serious times.
So with all this, Toyota decided the engines dont run green enough, therefore needs to increase prices, and needs to water it down to appeal to the older folks. How does any of this translate to excitement?
They absolutely need to have a turbo variant for under 30K well equipped othewise this car fails imo. Unless they offer something magical, but when I think Toyota, I don't think visceral driving experiences.
Disappointing because I was looking forward to this car, hopefully Nissan goes through with the silvia idea and gets it right.
/rant.

"If you don't hear you will feel." That is what I've been told since I was about 6 years old. Honda and Toyota will just have to feel. The obvious edge they had has almost completely slipped away. It looks like the loyalists and past subliminal accolades have and will continue to keep them afloat. Not desirable products. That can only last for so long. I do applaud them for the F range they're trying to get off the ground.

I fear that their recent mishaps will spook them even further.

Saint_Spinner 04-21-2010 09:37 AM

...c'mon next gen scirocco...c'mon next gen scirocco...:D

TheDonEffect 04-21-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Apr 21 2010, 09:10 AM
"If you don't hear you will feel." That is what I've been told since I was about 6 years old. Honda and Toyota will just have to feel. The obvious edge they had has almost completely slipped away. It looks like the loyalists and past subliminal accolades have and will continue to keep them afloat. Not desirable products. That can only last for so long. I do applaud them for the F range they're trying to get off the ground.

I fear that their recent mishaps will spook them even further.

Ugh, I had such high hopes for this car too. I'd love to see it with the wrx engine in it over the sti motor (could you imagine what toyota would charge if it was powered by the sti motor? plus I hear they're having issues with the sti motors failing on people) and keep it around 25K. For that kind of dough, if they keep the weight under 3000lbs, and keep the design more or less how it is now, I'd put a down on it.

omairtheman1 04-21-2010 11:11 AM

I can't wait... I'm going to buy this thing.

Vik2000 04-21-2010 12:20 PM

bleh...

RC 94 04-21-2010 12:26 PM

I think many of us saw this coming. It always seemed a little too good to be true.

Onehots2k 04-21-2010 12:32 PM

Toyota is making a car and its made with lightning. REAL LIGHTNING! LOL.

RabidRat 04-21-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4evertopless,Apr 21 2010, 07:10 AM
The original MR2 had a corolla engine too, it was a great car.

It sure wasn't the regular base corolla motor though, it was a peaky high-strung motor that loved to rev and put out a decent amount of power for its time, especially when they put the supercharger on it. This motor was more equivalent to the 2zz-ge found in the current Corolla XRS. Absolute tragedy that they never thought to put this motor in there.