S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   The Future (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/future-1073939/)

Rad Ray 02-26-2014 04:08 PM

The Future

I’m a die-hard and loyal S2K enthusiast. I love my car and everything it represents. Unfortunately, we (and it) are a dying breed. Each month, about 3-5 (unofficial statistic) S2Ks go to the bone yard. Over time, the number of running S2Ks will be less than what the sponsors for this website (and parts manufacturers) are willing to subsidize. Unless Honda revives the pedigree with a new model derived from the S2K we are destined to extinction –as well as this website. I’m no Honda insider, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence can understand that Honda is a very conservative company and historically reluctant to take major risks. Even their ventures into racing was calculated by the bottom line and hence their eventual withdrawals. But to the point, a well orchestrated and grass-root level appeal may be one of the few viable ways to bring Honda to its senses. It worked in the past for Mustangs (and yes they were once on the “chopping block” in Detroit), Camaros, Vipers, Jeeps, GTOs, and other vehicles (failed too for some), but resulted in improved designs, popularity, and pricing. We may be our own worst enemy if we simply do nothing and watch the last S2Ks fade into history. So, rather than argue titular points herein, I ask the question, “What can this website and it’s loyal membership do to revive a legend of automotive history?”

rob-2 02-26-2014 04:49 PM

Show up to home coming 2015 and tell Honda in person. I doubt 400 cars was a loss on them for HCII.

NuncoStr8 02-26-2014 06:56 PM

The S2000 was not a "Honda car" in the minds of many when it was first released. The NSX had always been an aberration in the Honda line-up. If you want something from Honda that is actual Sport, rather than FWD "sporting," you need to hold your breathe :)

Seriously, I don't think many people ever looked to Honda for a sports car. Yeah, they've made them, but pretty reluctantly. I don't know why anyone would wait for another when there's a whole world of choices out there from manufacturers who have a pretty good reputation for sports cars.

robhoy 02-27-2014 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rad Ray (Post 23036112)
Each month, about 3-5 (unofficial statistic) S2Ks go to the bone yard.

Hi, Ray. Where did you get that number? Seems low considering there were over 66K S2000s sold. Even if 1% get junked every year the number would be ten times higher. But even supposing it's 50 a month, there will be a lot of S2K's on the road for a long time. And the percentage of owners who are "true enthusiasts" is bound to go up over time. Heck, look at the 88-95 Civic and 84-91 CRX communities. Both are still very active even though those cars are more than twice as old, and prone to rust to boot!

So I'm not worried about the S2000 community dying out any time soon. Now whether this -website- dies is quite another story. I would say the more relevant question we should ask ourselves is "what can we do to keep s2ki.com relevant and useful?" I've met quite a few S2000 owners who are not on here, and quite a few more who are members, but no longer active on the site. I think s2ki needs better promotion and content.

tiger1964 02-27-2014 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rad Ray (Post 23036112)
Over time, the number of running S2Ks will be less than what the sponsors for this website (and parts manufacturers) are willing to subsidize.

I understand your point. Over the past, eh, 20 years, I've been "involved" with enthusiast cars that leave production and the websites and aftermarket support just doesn't seem to be what it once was.

That said, it depends on the fervor of the owners as well as the total #, and if S2K'ers are active enough here and spend their $$$ on parts/accessories, it will make a difference. I have another car that turns 50 in November, they made a tiny # compared to even the S2000, and yet there are still new aftermarket goodies coming out and active owners' groups. Not going anywhere soon.

rob-2 02-27-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 23036926)

Originally Posted by Rad Ray' timestamp='1393463292' post='23036112
Over time, the number of running S2Ks will be less than what the sponsors for this website (and parts manufacturers) are willing to subsidize.

I understand your point. Over the past, eh, 20 years, I've been "involved" with enthusiast cars that leave production and the websites and aftermarket support just doesn't seem to be what it once was.

That said, it depends on the fervor of the owners as well as the total #, and if S2K'ers are active enough here and spend their $$$ on parts/accessories, it will make a difference. I have another car that turns 50 in November, they made a tiny # compared to even the S2000, and yet there are still new aftermarket goodies coming out and active owners' groups. Not going anywhere soon.

Good points.

I've noticed I don't need to buy much for my S2000. After forking over the cash for track pads/rotors/fluid I don't upgrade much. When my soft top goes I'll replace it but I'm not actively buying accessories.

I do think the challenge is once you've bought your modifry bracket, headunit, dci etc they don't need replacing any time soon.

Rad Ray 09-09-2016 10:26 AM

Now several years later, it's true.

CosmosMpower 09-09-2016 11:01 AM

There are far too many S2000's out there for it to fade away (110,000+). Crash them into poles and stance them all you want.

http://world.honda.com/news/2009/4090127S2000/

Bullwings 09-09-2016 12:23 PM

About 60K went to the united states.

Aircooled Porsche numbers are far far lower and yet, the aftermarket support for a 911/964/993 is quite insane.

As long as there is still money to be made without requiring an unreasonable amount of effort, the market will continue to support its existence.

We're not talking about a DeLorean.

Aurex 09-09-2016 01:33 PM

New aftermarket parts are still being developed for this car and some people are worried about it not being supported?

People wait years for the right S2000 to come up for sale.

:rolleyes:

What are we supposed to be worried about again?