S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   GT3, GT4, NSX or Audi R8 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/gt3-gt4-nsx-audi-r8-1199906/)

00S2K01S4 02-18-2020 11:49 AM

GT3, GT4, NSX or Audi R8

I was wondering which would you choose. I've been thinking of selling the GTR and S2K and getting a used GT3, a new GT4, a new/used NSX or used R8. I enjoy the GTR and S2K but it's about time to clear space in the garage and try something new or just keep both and work on other things on my bucket list.

zeroptzero 02-18-2020 11:55 AM

The GT3 and GT4 both stir the soul better than the rest IMO, I think the NSX looks better than the R8, the R8's appearance never grew on me. They all perform well enough for me, so I'm not basing my choice on ultimate performance.

Bullwings 02-18-2020 12:10 PM

Goals? Intended use?

I see your s2k on an auto-x course. Will the new toy be seeing auto-x / track use? What's the actual budget? Since you're considering a new GT4, i'm assuming ~$110Kish?

I'd probably go with a 996 GT3.
- Cheap(er) - i see two examples on cargurus for less than $65k
- Lightweight (compared to everything that followed it, including the 997, and even versus the 993)
- 6-speed - and mechanically engaging (i hear that there isn't much out there to rival the steering feel, short of aircooled Porsches and cars w/o power steering)
- Modern creature comforts that work (HVAC and radio)

That said, not sure what's on your bucket list. For me, I'm a cheapskate. I'd dump the GTR and keep the s2k (biased opinion), and work on the other bucket list stuff.

I could also see replacing your lineup with a used Alpha 4C at $40k. That gives you something new AND the ability to work on other bucket list items.

JonBoy 02-18-2020 12:53 PM

I've driven them all but the GT3, so my choice is kind of ironic, but I'd go GT3 every time UNLESS you're driving it every day. Big redline, normally aspirated, manual or PDK options, looks great but blends in if you want to (relatively speaking), amazing performance and one of the last normally aspirated great sports cars, in all probability. A GT3 has always been my dream "affordable" sportscar (at the high end of things) and despite how much I like the NSX, I'd still take GT3 every time (again, unless I was daily driving it).

That said, here's what I felt about the other three after I drove them.

GT4
Pros - manual transmission, engaging to drive, sounds good, nice interior, comparatively low cost of maintenance, looks great, can be loud or quiet at the push of a button, rev matching for when you don't want to bother with it yourself
Cons - slow, not as capable, not as "special" as the others, just doesn't compare to the others in performance. Feels less capable after you drive an NSX, especially. Good feedback but it didn't feel nearly as buttoned down as I was expecting. The one I drove had a grinding transmission, even after only 40K kms (about 25K miles), despite it having rev matching. Possibly due to a bunch of bad drivers (it was a "rental" car, after all) but still a little scary that it took so little time to wear out the synchros. Didn't feel THAT much faster than my Z4M, either.

NSX
Pros - ungodly acceleration at virtually any sane speed, well-built, looks fantastic, grip for days, daily drivable, quiet when you want, louder when you're interested in some fun, excellent transmission, electric-only driving at slow speeds, appears to be reliable
Cons - heavy, not as loud as the others (nice to have the option to really hear the engine), no manual transmission, some cheap switchgear/interior appointments

R8
Pros - fantastic engine, mid-engine dynamics, AWD grip, daily driveable as well, great looks, best sounding of all of them (V10), nice interior with some really neat details depending on options
Cons - not as immediate as the NSX, feels a little bit more numb, Audi "reliability" is somewhat suspect

I drove all three the same day, one after the other, as part of my 40th birthday, which made it a great opportunity to compare them. My wife set up a day of driving as a birthday gift.

mosesbotbol 02-18-2020 01:35 PM

GT3 or NSX would be least depreciating I would imagine. At the price range you are looking it, I would consider an Aston Martin V12 Vantage. A friend who has GT3's and races them, '05 and new Ford GT, and a few other sports cars raves about the V12 Vantage S (7 speed dog leg manual). I would also look at the Lotus Evora GT; the best Lotus to date and really dialed everything in just perfect. 110K new out the door.

458 Italia is a little over a 100K if you're into Italian cars.

vader1 02-18-2020 01:38 PM

Manual for me so that leaves what Gt3, GT4, or older R8?

Although the new Cayman GTS has the 4 liter flat six without the track extremeness of a GT4, but at an entry price of only $90k and more civility around town.

white98ls 02-18-2020 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24692805)
458 Italia is a little over a 100K if you're into Italian cars.

Sadly a solid 458 is still $150k+ from what I've seen.

Mr.E.G. 02-18-2020 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy (Post 24692800)
I've driven them all but the GT3, so my choice is kind of ironic, but I'd go GT3 every time UNLESS you're driving it every day. Big redline, normally aspirated, manual or PDK options, looks great but blends in if you want to (relatively speaking), amazing performance and one of the last normally aspirated great sports cars, in all probability. A GT3 has always been my dream "affordable" sportscar (at the high end of things) and despite how much I like the NSX, I'd still take GT3 every time (again, unless I was daily driving it).

That said, here's what I felt about the other three after I drove them.

GT4
Pros - manual transmission, engaging to drive, sounds good, nice interior, comparatively low cost of maintenance, looks great, can be loud or quiet at the push of a button, rev matching for when you don't want to bother with it yourself
Cons - slow, not as capable, not as "special" as the others, just doesn't compare to the others in performance. Feels less capable after you drive an NSX, especially. Good feedback but it didn't feel nearly as buttoned down as I was expecting. The one I drove had a grinding transmission, even after only 40K kms (about 25K miles), despite it having rev matching. Possibly due to a bunch of bad drivers (it was a "rental" car, after all) but still a little scary that it took so little time to wear out the synchros. Didn't feel THAT much faster than my Z4M, either.

NSX
Pros - ungodly acceleration at virtually any sane speed, well-built, looks fantastic, grip for days, daily drivable, quiet when you want, louder when you're interested in some fun, excellent transmission, electric-only driving at slow speeds, appears to be reliable
Cons - heavy, not as loud as the others (nice to have the option to really hear the engine), no manual transmission, some cheap switchgear/interior appointments

R8
Pros - fantastic engine, mid-engine dynamics, AWD grip, daily driveable as well, great looks, best sounding of all of them (V10), nice interior with some really neat details depending on options
Cons - not as immediate as the NSX, feels a little bit more numb, Audi "reliability" is somewhat suspect

I drove all three the same day, one after the other, as part of my 40th birthday, which made it a great opportunity to compare them. My wife set up a day of driving as a birthday gift.

I really didn't love the NSX when it came out, but I keep seeing them around town and really like the way it looks. There are times that I'm tempted to pick one up, but I probably won't.

mosesbotbol 02-18-2020 05:32 PM

It's hard to get tired of the V12 Aston Martin sound. Pure, Beauty, Soul.... Pure Aston Martin.

TommyDeVito 02-18-2020 09:09 PM

A manual transmission 911 in whatever flavor you can get it.