S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   HELP! My bike is a money pit! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/help-my-bike-money-pit-87096/)

Chris S 10-20-2002 08:55 PM

HELP! My bike is a money pit!

Damn, I think I've been spending too much time on RC51 message boards w/ other free-spending RC freaks. I've never spent so much $ on upgrades...it's gotten to the point that I don't want to tell my g/f about what's going on the bike. I've never been this out of control w/ previous cars or bikes...the good news is that I think the RC is a keeper.

Is there a "mod addicts anonymous" group?

Current:
- Akra Ti slipons
- Dynojet PCIIIr
- Alman speedo recalibrator
- 15/41 gearing
- stainless steel lines
- Sargent leather seat
- Ohlins steering damper w/ Harris bracket kit
- Metzler Sportecs w/ 180 rear (not really a mod, but a def. improvement vs. stock!)

In transit:
- Penske rear shock
- Yoyodyne frame sliders

Coming soon:
- Dan Kyle Racing fork upgrades

Wish list
- Sato clipons

Bieg 10-21-2002 03:05 AM

Might I suggest before spending any more money to improve a bike that stock is already more bike than most peoples talent can fully exploit that you invest it instead in yourself by taking a good course such as Keith Codes or Reg Pridmore's.

The improvement in your riding will be dramatic and will carry with you no matter what bike you ride. Same holds true for the S2000. A good racing school will improve your times on track days more than most mods will.

Chris S 10-21-2002 03:46 AM

Thanks for the tip, but I've done Keith Code, Star School, Texas Superbike School, numerous track days (one is coming up 11/11), and I have a couple of years endurance racing experience. :) I agree completely w/ the prioritization of driver improvement before hardware, though.

The RC51 is fairly unique in that it responds extremely well to mods.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]Might I suggest before spending any more money to improve a bike that stock is already more bike than most peoples talent can fully exploit that you invest it instead in yourself by taking a good course such as Keith Codes or Reg Pridmore's.

The improvement in your riding will be dramatic and will carry with you no matter what bike you ride.

ejis 10-21-2002 04:06 AM

Not sure I can offer any help... I've managed to get through 3 years with basically no mods to my VFR, but my SV is about to become Frankenstein's monster... I'm getting ready to do a full suspension overhaul, brake job, and some other stuff too. All that though probably won't equal the cost of your new Penske though... Enjoy it!

funcar 10-21-2002 04:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]Might I suggest before spending any more money to improve a bike that stock is already more bike than most peoples talent can fully exploit that you invest it instead in yourself by taking a good course such as Keith Codes or Reg Pridmore's.

The improvement in your riding will be dramatic and will carry with you no matter what bike you ride.

Chris S 10-21-2002 04:32 AM

hint: just look for Bieg's previous debates re: mods. I suspect he constantly does a search on "modifications", which lured him to this thread. :D

Elistan 10-21-2002 06:56 AM

Easy solution - buy that girlfriend an engagement ring. That way, you won't have any money for the bike! :D

Bieg 10-21-2002 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funcar
[B]

Why would someone assume that if you mod your car or bike you don't know how to

funcar 10-21-2002 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris S
[B]hint: just look for Bieg's previous debates re: mods.

Chris S 10-21-2002 01:56 PM

I forgot to add that I have some perfectly good reasons for modding that aren