S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   MT's latest roadster challenge (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/mts-latest-roadster-challenge-784995/)

psychoazn 04-28-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Apr 27 2010, 10:02 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone noticed...if you go to motortrend.com, and click on ROAD TESTS, the icon for convertibles is an s2000. Good times.

A CR even! :thumbup: :LOL:

Saki GT 04-28-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Apr 28 2010, 12:54 PM
Decent finish for the Audi, considering it's a hyper-Beetle with a drivetrain setup that's a complete and utter disgrace as far as roadsters are concerned. :LOL: BMW has really lost its bearing to be beaten by that.

Thats what I was thinking - how bad do you have to be to lose to a TT? :D

[DT] 04-28-2010 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Apr 28 2010, 12:44 PM]Thats what I was thinking - how bad do you have to be to lose to a TT?

Saki GT 04-28-2010 09:47 AM

:spitcoffee:

Dr. WOT 04-28-2010 09:48 AM

The result isn't shocking at all, but what is shocking is how good of an article that was.

Before heading out, we established some ground rules. We wouldn't count cupholders nor factor in legroom. We logged fuel economy for those who care, but didn't count it in the final tally. Such practical issues are for practical cars. We put aside the stopwatches and calculators in favor of softer data collected by ours hands, feet, eyes, and ears. How can such a heart-and-soul approach so accurately and positively identify the Boxster S as the roadster that best fulfills the mission profile? See for yourself.

Wow, did I really read that on MT? When did they hire Evo's writers?

Saki GT 04-28-2010 09:50 AM

Good point, when did MT become CandD?

GinoGT 04-28-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Apr 28 2010, 12:48 PM
The result isn't shocking at all, but what is shocking is how good of an article that was.

Wow, did I really read that on MT? When did they hire Evo's writers?

Good point. Usually they're too busy calling cars harsh riding, or the other extreme of creating a billion different kinds of graphs with their test data that are overly complex and almost indecipherable.

Taking the "heart and soul" approach to reviewing roadsters is how it should be.

Jacques79 04-28-2010 11:21 AM

Boxster S is the best roadster in its class for like the 10th year in a row!

Aside from an Elise it's the best driver's roadster in the world. (nevermind exotics)

I still believe the chassis can take more than 310 or 320HP.

The Boxster S should have around 350HP.

NuncoStr8 04-28-2010 01:22 PM

Those four cars are such different vehicles it's almost nonsensical to rank them. No two really share much more than two doors and the lack of a roof. AWD, RWD, mid-engine, front engine, V6, flat-6, straight-6, inline-4, trubo, naturally aspirated, retracting hardtop, traditional soft top, etc., etc., etc.

Funny though: When the Boxster first came out it was "the Porsche for posers," the TT was a "failed attempt at a sports car," the 350Z vert was a "fat ugly pig" destroying the lines and handling of the coupe, and the 3.0 Z3 was the only one that had any credibility. Have standards changed or have the cars gotten better? [note for the slow: I am using quotes to indicate common criticisms of the time, not saying I feel/felt that way about the cars myself.]

GinoGT 04-29-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Apr 28 2010, 04:22 PM
Those four cars are such different vehicles it's almost nonsensical to rank them. No two really share much more than two doors and the lack of a roof. AWD, RWD, mid-engine, front engine, V6, flat-6, straight-6, inline-4, trubo, naturally aspirated, retracting hardtop, traditional soft top, etc., etc., etc.

Funny though: When the Boxster first came out it was "the Porsche for posers," the TT was a "failed attempt at a sports car," the 350Z vert was a "fat ugly pig" destroying the lines and handling of the coupe, and the 3.0 Z3 was the only one that had any credibility. Have standards changed or have the cars gotten better? [note for the slow: I am using quotes to indicate common criticisms of the time, not saying I feel/felt that way about the cars myself.]

The Boxster always has been a great car, the 911 guys just keep making noise every time Porsche does something that's not a 911.

I think the TT still is a failed attempt at a roadster, unless you're cool with VAG's platform sharing obsession and a front transverse engine with FWD or FWD-based AWD in a purist's type of car. I'm not.

I think both of the recent Z cars are ugly as convertibles. Too round and puffed up to pull off the roadster look.

The last Z4 was a beautiful car, and the new one is just gorgeous. Gotta love straight-6 engines too. Retracting hardtop though? No thanks. Plus it seems BMW can't get the suspension tuning right, which is the kiss of death in a car like this.