S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   panamera (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/panamera-988532/)

dyhppy 11-05-2012 12:45 PM

panamera

drove one of these, albeit the base model.

first the good. interior is excellent. really nice. feels solid going over bumps and while turning. although i wouldnt say handling feels really good.

now everything else. what an ugly car exterior. steering was ok, but didnt feel great and def not sporty ala boxster/cayman. i just dont understand this car and why someone would buy it over a 911. yes, it has back seats, but the roof slopes down so much that being the back in claustrophobic. im probably in the minority since they're selling like hotcakes.

s2kpdx01 11-05-2012 12:50 PM

I see like 3-4 a day being driven by rich soccer mom's here in the bay area. they seemed to have replaced the cayene which I used to see with the same frequency. I would drive one.

Kenny_Stang 11-05-2012 01:20 PM

I think they're quite ugly, like a bloated 911. If it was up to me, I'd prefer the Cayenne... still not a gorgeous car, but better than the Panamera.

ookielookie 11-05-2012 01:32 PM

Way too damn ugly. I'd take a Cayenne as well...

civicson234 11-05-2012 03:37 PM

after driving one(panamera 4S) for a prolonged period(500+ miles) and riding in several(base, turbo), i have come to like them alot. I found it to very comfortable on the long hual and around town, and the 4S was quite fast on the track in cabaple hands, to the point where i was very surprised something that big moved that quick. Steering wasnt super precise, but its a luxo-gt car, so i wasnt expecting razor sharp steering. I will agree, the exterior though isnt my cup of tea, and the sheer amount of buttons on the center console can become overwhelming for those not too tech savvy.

cbehney 11-05-2012 03:39 PM

The looks are growing on me. It certainly has a certain presence. And the interior is gorgeous. The back seat is pretty comfortable. I'm surprised you found it claustrophobic. (I'm 6'1"). I suspect the S version is a better drive for sportiness. The 8 is much stronger than the 6, and sounds fantastic. Interesting that several of you would choose a Cayenne over it. I can see that it would be a fair comparison.

SpudRacer 11-05-2012 04:12 PM

I haven't driven one but as for the looks, I thought it looked horrible in photos at launch time. But when I saw the first one in person I sort of liked it. Since then, the look has sort of grown on me. Not gorgeous but not bad for a 4 door sedan that weighs 4,400lbs, can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds in top trim, tops out at 190 mph, and holds 44 cu ft of luggage. All for a mere $175K.

Elistan 11-05-2012 05:37 PM

I like the looks. It has solidity. It has "presence."
I've sat in one. The rear seats are every bit as nice as the front. And the whole thing is gorgeous. I like the multitude of buttons rathe than a nested menu system.
I haven't ever driven one.

fishfryer 11-05-2012 05:44 PM

The car is too ugly to consider for anything. at all. period.

dat boi 11-05-2012 10:13 PM

This is so much better in terms of styling! I hope Porsche will update the car to this concept soon.
http://brakebanzeen.files.wordpress....cept-side.jpeg
http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-co...Concept-01.jpg

I'm not feeling the wheels, but the overall shape.. :drool: :drool:

omairtheman1 11-06-2012 01:32 AM

My good friend used to have one, it was a 4S with all the turbo exterior hardware. I was impressed at how nice that car was to drive, it was the perfect combination between sport and luxury. The Sport+ setting was awesome with launch control making the rear wheels spin when tires were cold. His MSRP however was around 115,000 with all the options and what not, the price kinds puts you away but the car is a great piece of machinery.

Nandska 11-06-2012 03:34 AM

I like it. If I was in the market for a 4-door, it would be on the list.

mosesbotbol 11-06-2012 05:32 AM

The interior is something else! Smells like heaven. Outside looks are ok, but I think the appeal is more towards a woman's taste. Not that, that is bad, just an observation. The Panamera is distinctive looking, it's just not another shape that could be anything. The wagon concept looks great and if they come out with a coupe that will be amazing. I'd rather have a Qporte or XJ if I should be so lucky to decide on such nice cars.

2wheelsmoker 11-06-2012 06:23 AM

I think it looks like poop.

mazelmazelgoodthings 11-06-2012 06:30 AM

the thing looks like a squashed cayenne. I dont like it or the cayenne, but I had the chance to drive a panamera S this summer and that v8 is just an absolutley great motor.

i_heart_my_DB8 11-06-2012 06:30 AM

I think it looks like poop as well, but if I had to choose, I'd choose a sedan that looks like poop versus an SUV.

Zoidberg 11-06-2012 09:25 AM

I'm surprised when people say they'd rather drive a glorified Touareg (Cayenne) than this:

Originally Posted by SpudRacer (Post 22131787)
Not gorgeous but not bad for a 4 door sedan that weighs 4,400lbs, can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds in top trim, tops out at 190 mph, and holds 44 cu ft of luggage.

I haven't driven one, but I have sat in one, and like others I almost threw up the first time I saw it. But after seeing them on the road it has really grown on me. And the interior is very very nice. The wagon version that has been posted in here looks amazing though!

Though I do understand the appeal of the Panamera, I often wish that people had the sense to just buy a Boxter/Cayman and a cheaper 4 door family hauler at the same time for the same price of a Panamera. That way you can enjoy a proper Porsche.

mosesbotbol 11-06-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg (Post 22133259)
Though I do understand the appeal of the Panamera, I often wish that people had the sense to just buy a Boxter/Cayman and a cheaper 4 door family hauler at the same time for the same price of a Panamera. That way you can enjoy a proper Porsche.

Anyone who elludes to a proper Porsche can only mean a 911... For some, it's not about one or the other. What about the owner who has a 911 & Cayenne and needs a sedan? Why send his business to another marque?

Zoidberg 11-06-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 22133274)
Anyone who elludes to a proper Porsche can only mean a 911...

Yeah most people will agree with you. But some people will also argue that the new (981) Boxter more similarly resembles an old 911 than the current 991. Proper may not have been the right word choice (I am not a Porsche fanatic), but my point is the same.

ElTianti 11-06-2012 10:01 AM

Aston Martin Rapide > Porsche Panamera.

termigni 11-06-2012 10:03 AM

I want one. so cool.

iLuveketchup 11-06-2012 10:22 AM

Looks good from the front & back. The proportions are a bit off on the side profile - looks too long.

dyhppy 11-06-2012 01:11 PM

u can get a proper porsche 911 or you can get porsche's best fun/balanced car, the boxster:)

anyways, the only thing i can think of with the panamera is how much i could sell one for.

sam_spider 11-06-2012 01:17 PM

Panamera is for the demographic that's been buying the 7 series and S Class MB's and want something different. I've driven the S model and was impressed for what it is, perfect step up from an S550. The guys that buy Panamera's are the ones that have a 911 in the garage too, or can't have both, but need a 4 door.

dewey 11-06-2012 02:22 PM

i love the panamera, my friend has a 2012 panamera S and its awesome

thielepr 11-06-2012 03:13 PM

a coupe version will be nice

SpudRacer 11-06-2012 04:16 PM

The coupe version is known as the 911.

sam_spider 11-06-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer (Post 22134221)

:LOL: I was going to say the same thing.

nofearofdanger 11-06-2012 06:21 PM

Panamera looks grow on you over time. The more I look at it the more I like it. The new V8 sounds amazing, and supposedly some of the models are amazing to drive as well.

But put one next to a Rapide or a Quattroporte and it doesn't look that great, and that's coming from a Porsche guy.

On it's own is a different story. It's got a presence and quirky beauty to it.

whiteflash 11-07-2012 03:41 AM

Thing is ugly as sin, I think it even beats the GTR in ugliness per dollar spent.

But I can't afford half of one, so I'm probably just a hater. :)

i_heart_my_DB8 11-07-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger (Post 22134428)
Panamera looks grow on you over time. The more I look at it the more I like it. The new V8 sounds amazing, and supposedly some of the models are amazing to drive as well.

But put one next to a Rapide or a Quattroporte and it doesn't look that great, and that's coming from a Porsche guy.

No, I'm sorry: Ugly is ugly for all time. You're not talking about a beach stone that will be eroded by the wind and waves over decades of life into a beautiful, classic shape.

It's a damn ugly car, end of story.

/edit: Oh. Unless you're talking about how our eyesight degrades over time. I suppose that could've been what you meant. It will probably be more offensive to someone with limited vision, definitely.

mosesbotbol 11-07-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer (Post 22134221)

Not really...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5CdXmyZoI...e-panamera.jpg

https://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezf...oupe_lead1.jpg

Presto123 11-07-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ElTianti (Post 22133347)
Aston Martin Rapide > Porsche Panamera.

That car is gorgeous but the backseat is extremely cramped. Im 6' 185 lbs and was extremely uncomfortable in the 5 minutes i sat back there. I wonder how bad the backseat of other 4 dour coupes are.

I really do not mind the looks of the Panamera. I think it looks good from some angles and not so good from others but I sort of like the look.

nofearofdanger 11-07-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8 (Post 22135351)

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1352258497' post='22134428

No, I'm sorry: Ugly is ugly for all time. You're not talking about a beach stone that will be eroded by the wind and waves over decades of life into a beautiful, classic shape.

/edit: Oh. Unless you're talking about how our eyesight degrades over time. I suppose that could've been what you meant. It will probably be more offensive to someone with limited vision, definitely.

Seems like you fail to understand the concept of something growing on YOU over time. This isn't some kind of objective measure of beauty :)

i_heart_my_DB8 11-07-2012 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger (Post 22135400)

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1352301546' post='22135351
[quote name='nofearofdanger' timestamp='1352258497' post='22134428']

Seems like you fail to understand the concept of something growing on YOU over time. This isn't some kind of objective measure of beauty :)
[/quote]
You said this:

Panamera looks grow on you over time.
What you should have said is this:

The Panamera's looks grew on ME over time.
Because they sure as hell haven't grown on me over time.

Seems like you fail to understand the concept of classic proportions, shape, and timeless beauty. You may not think there are objective measures of beauty, but from a design perspective, I would argue that you are incorrect.

g0g3tt4 11-08-2012 10:15 AM

It's a statement car.... not much else. I like it because they stepped out and took a chance. Not many car makers do that anymore. That's why we have a glut of retro, Mustangs, Camaro's, and Challenger's.https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...thumbsdown.gif

MBHs2k 11-08-2012 10:48 AM

^^^^^agreed, the car is quite unique. It looks like nothing else on the road. I really like the Panamera. Every time I see one I admire it.

waltk88 11-08-2012 03:23 PM

Do not want. I don't like the looks, and I don't like the price.

The Panamera does offer decent performance with the V8 engines, and it may be the class leader in terms of handling, but I just can't live with the exterior appearance. I'd rather take a Mercedes CLS63 AMG, and give up some handling points in exchange for much nicer looks and a lower price tag. I think a Performance Pack equipped CLS 63 ($103k) is even quicker than the much more expensive Panamera Turbo S ($175k).

cbehney 11-09-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by waltk88 (Post 22139465)
Do not want. I don't like the looks, and I don't like the price.

The Panamera does offer decent performance with the V8 engines, and it may be the class leader in terms of handling, but I just can't live with the exterior appearance. I'd rather take a Mercedes CLS63 AMG, and give up some handling points in exchange for much nicer looks and a lower price tag. I think a Performance Pack equipped CLS 63 ($103k) is even quicker than the much more expensive Panamera Turbo S ($175k).

Quicker than 3.5 secs 0-60? I don't think the perf package adds that many more horses.

The M-B is better looking from most angles for sure though.

waltk88 11-09-2012 04:12 PM

Not quicker 0-60, but I'd bet higher 1/4 mile trap speed and quicker 0-130. CLS 63 is lighter and makes similar power to the Panamera Turbo S. The 0-60 advantage for the Porsche is down to the AWD.

Z06-KILLR 11-09-2012 05:48 PM

The car (in turbo form) is a performer - no doubt about it. But it is also ugly as F!

I would not get a BJ from an ugly girl...even if she was really, good at it (ok, may not be a fully true statement, but you know what I mean...LOL)

Uncoolron 11-10-2012 03:33 AM

Panamera looks butt ugly in my eyes but if for some out this world reason I buy one the ugliness has to grow on me to justify all the money paid for it.