S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   The passing of Sergio Marchionne and what that means for FCA (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/passing-sergio-marchionne-what-means-fca-1186780/)

Saki GT 07-25-2018 03:58 AM

The passing of Sergio Marchionne and what that means for FCA

Sergio Marchionne died pretty suddenly, leaving the FCA brand a bit up in the air.

Good short read about the man and the brands - https://www.automobilemag.com/news/s...fiat-chrysler/

zdave87 07-25-2018 04:24 AM

Wild ass guess, Honda buys FCA.

mosesbotbol 07-25-2018 05:37 AM

Very sad at his passing. RIP Sergio....

He was scheduled to retire next year. I don't expect FCA to change course on anything. Decisions are well thought out and they can't just shoot from the hip. What decisions or road map they have in the works; who knows. Jeep and Ram are their core business, so those two will stay. Alfa is a national treasure in Italy, so that one isn't going anywhere. Chrysler, Lancia, and Dodge I'd think are open to offers.

vader1 07-25-2018 06:16 AM

Wow. That surgery must have gone really badly.

I don't know how good of an executive he was, he got lots of criticism for throwing some ideas against the wall, but he sure was doing a good job of getting Chrysler's debt paid off and Alfa launched in the US. That is not an easy job.

clutchcargo 07-25-2018 06:50 AM

He also spun off Ferrari and that was a winning play

He passed too soon, unfortunately medical procedures come with stats instead of warranties

Hopefully the new guy will spin the cry slur stuff off and the euro brands can continue without the stench of being associated with folks who built Nitros

Vitt 07-25-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87 (Post 24491828)
Wild ass guess, Honda buys FCA.

I think Hyundai had been in talks for a while but who knows what the new CEO will do. The FCA European boss quit a few days ago because they appointed Mike Manley as CEO.

mosesbotbol 07-25-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo (Post 24491883)
He also spun off Ferrari and that was a winning play

Was it? I haven't followed their stock. I know it went down a little this week in the news.

clutchcargo 07-25-2018 07:44 AM

Race was under $50 at the outset and has been close to $150

Today it sits at $130

The Ferrari dealer near work dumped Lotus, Aston, Maserati and McLaren to focus on Ferrari

i don’t know if you have a connection to the MA South Shore. There used to be a dealer called Autohaus in Cohassett. They had Ferrari, Aston, BMW and Nissan. I don’t think their show room could hold 2 cars comfortably and their workshop was like 6-8 cars.

mosesbotbol 07-25-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo (Post 24491933)
i don’t know if you have a connection to the MA South Shore. There used to be a dealer called Autohaus in Cohassett. They had Ferrari, Aston, BMW and Nissan. I don’t think their show room could hold 2 cars comfortably and their workshop was like 6-8 cars.

Yes, I knew that dealership well. Only as a Ferrari dealer. BMW was another building if I recall??? I did not know they had sold Aston. Showroom was like a large bed room. I had been to that dealership many times. There was also Gaston Andrey in Framingham and another Ferrari dealer in Western MA. Today, there are only two Aston, Lotus, and Ferrari dealers in all of New England. Ferrari doesn't make it lion's share profit from selling cars; it's all licensing.

clutchcargo 07-25-2018 10:24 AM

I actually owned Gaston’s house in Millis after he made it big and moved to a larger estate in that small town.

once in a while one of the family would drive by in a 308. And toot the horn. Never met him.

i don’t recall why he didn’t keep the Ferrari franchise, and in later years he focused on Saab.

when I was a kid, Lotus was sold at High Performance Cars in Waltham, also a kaput dealer.