S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   r8 vs. 911 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/r8-vs-911-a-483814/)

wanabe 04-25-2007 08:36 PM

r8 vs. 911

this board has already had several threads discussing the r8 vs the 911...
just saw a great article that does a good job of summarizing the comparo:

<<<
"Many a tree is going to die in order for the automotive world to sufficiently air out the threat that this car may (or may not) pose to Porsche. Much will be written about the Audi R8's relationship with the Lamborghini Gallardo, and even more will spill forth from word processors about the upcoming V10 version of the car.

I'll save you from having to look elsewhere for answers and simply say that the R8 is something very special and yes, I would choose it over an optioned-up Carrera 4S, its most direct AWD competitor. It doesn't really share much with the Gallardo, and there's no need to wait for the V10 version to own a bona fide supercar.

The Porsche 911's greatest strength is simultaneously its greatest weakness: it is a car that can easily be driven every day. Do so, however, and the 911 can start to feel a bit ordinary, though it will always have the liveliest steering of any car on the road.

The R8, however, feels special enough that no amount of daily use will take the edge off its raucous thoroughbred V8, its whining transmission, its snick-snick six-speed manual transmission or its diabolically violent R-Tronic paddle-shift gearbox. Stephan Reil, the guy in charge of Quattro GMBH and the little outfit that engineered the R8, put it best when he said the six-speed gated shifter is better for the street, and the R-tronic is better for the track. The gated shifter is just so cool to use that it's worth the price of admission alone.

It won't matter either how many times you walk up to it in your garage; the R8 will always look sensational, and small touches like the engine compartment illumination when you unlock the doors make it more of an event than an automobile.

The spectacle, however, pales to driving the car. Twist the key and NASCAR's own soundtrack erupts from behind the glass partition over your shoulders. Pick first gear, mash the throttle and revel in the first Quattro chassis that will wag its tail under power. You sit low, similar to an arcade driving simulation, which exacerbates the sensation of speed. The world reels in through the windshield like it's on fast-forward, and the sound of the 420 hp V8 fills the cabin and tears through surrounding traffic. "

>>

more at:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mlf/08r8.htm

and post up your thoughts!!

MaxGeek 04-25-2007 10:01 PM

I'd definitely take it over a 911.

Amer 04-26-2007 12:31 AM

997 Turbo w/ chrono sport package for me also. :D

Big_Al 04-26-2007 04:44 AM

Porsches won me over... for the price they're asking i'd rather be driving a "diabolically violent" GT3

rai 04-26-2007 06:00 AM

How many times does the 911 4S comes up in this price range ($110K+)? You are practically at the Turbo and GT3 (GT3 RS) price.

I understand the GT3s are not sutable for DD (like the R8 or turbo).

In any event the Turbo is the same price as a R8. The turbo is well and truly quicker but maybe that's not the point.

I truly love cars with engines under glass, they are so nice to show off and Audi seems to take this into account with the lights and CF in the engine bay.

The Turbo or GT3 or Cayaman (etc..) you can't show off the engine if your life depended on it.

I'm not sure myself which I prefer Turbo? GT3? R8? Viper? Z06? thats actual production cars not even taking the NSX or Lexus super into account.

PLYRS 3 04-26-2007 06:22 AM

rai,

sometimes it's just a matter of having something different.

as we age, does it really matter that your neighbours or friends car is "faster" than yours? or "slower" than yours??

the answer is no, it doesn't. you will both tee off at the same time, regardless of who arrives first at the golf course.....

Onehots2k 04-26-2007 06:25 AM

I cant put my finger on it but I dont know why the R8 hasnt won me over yet. And yes i'm a big fan of the engine through the glass concept. I've read great reviews but I dont know. I'd probably take a 911 Turbo.

vishnus11 04-26-2007 07:03 AM

man i love the R8.

Wanabe: I thought I remember seeing you post on the R8 forums - don't you have one on preorder?

Penforhire 04-26-2007 07:18 AM

Rai, what I read suggests the current GT3 would make a fine DD. Just too rich for my blood. The Cayman S is the one that tortures me, wondering if it'd be worth the price to own.

"Do so, however, and the 911 can start to feel a bit ordinary, though it will always have the liveliest steering of any car on the road." Somehow I doubt the author considered the Elise when he made this statement. Of course he probably figures Lotus kit cars don't count...

edit - anyone else here dying to check out the Exige S?

DVDoughboy 04-26-2007 07:30 AM

Penforhire

What's holding you back from a Cayman S? They can be had for anywhere from $6-$10k off sticker.

rai 04-26-2007 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Apr 26 2007, 07:18 AM
Rai, what I read suggests the current GT3 would make a fine DD. Just too rich for my blood. The Cayman S is the one that tortures me, wondering if it'd be worth the price to own.

the one thing I have read concerning the GT3 is that the front spoiler height is so low that you'd have to watch out on driveways and what if you come on a speedbump?

I don't know to what extent other cars like the Z06 or the Elise etc.. have the same issue?

I'll report back after the WCD event (should get some seat time in the GT3).

wanabe 04-26-2007 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Apr 26 2007, 07:03 AM
man i love the R8.

Wanabe: I thought I remember seeing you post on the R8 forums - don't you have one on preorder?

lol-
yup, thats me on the r8 forum!!

recently posted a link on that board back to s2ki.com - cause someone here posted a great thread about an r8 on the dragon run... with pics -

my car (r8) is prob a year away- at first i was told end of the year, but they are building a new factory for this car and its taking longer than expected to begin production. add to that the fact that my dealer's allocation is likely to be reduced even more (prob cause of the production delays), and that puts me close to a year out- maybe i will have a chance at an '09 (was hoping to have a first year r8 to accompany my first year s2000)!

rai 04-26-2007 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 26 2007, 06:22 AM
sometimes it's just a matter of having something different.

as we age, does it really matter that your neighbours or friends car is "faster" than yours? or "slower" than yours??

the answer is no, it doesn't. you will both tee off at the same time, regardless of who arrives first at the golf course.....

I am aware of this.

So far I haven't gone for a high power car. I could own a C5 Z06 instead of a S2000 if that was a main priority.

The R8 is slower than a 600hp Viper or 500hp Z06 or 500hp F430 (etc..). Same as the S2000 is not the quickest whip. Same can be said of the Aston Martin Vantage.

I can't say that power/speed are not important at all. However, I think in real world situations the R8 has enough power and speed. But there will be others that want more (V10 R8) etc..

However for example a Viper 600hp of Blue Devil, Turbo etc... can be both 'different' as well as quick for around the same cost. Doesn't need to be either or can have both.

All said, I would rather have a R8 over a Viper or Z06 and probably over a 911 turbo if it was my DD. All the same thats not to say I would send it back if it was quicker than it already is. I mean MB AMG has easy 500+HP V8s that are in even cheaper cars (they don't even need a V10).

rai 04-26-2007 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Apr 26 2007, 07:42 AM
my car (r8) is prob a year away- at first i was told end of the year, but they are building a new factory for this car and its taking longer than expected to begin production. add to that the fact that my dealer's allocation is likely to be reduced even more (prob cause of the production delays), and that puts me close to a year out- maybe i will have a chance at an '09 (was hoping to have a first year r8 to accompany my first year s2000)!

May be for the best to work out the devils if any. My 3rd year S2000, was glad to have a few improvements. But you will miss out on the first car brand new-ness.

Iceman1 04-26-2007 11:56 AM

the GT3's daily driving issues are pretty focused on the front lip... so much so that ive heard talk that the piece of plastic, which is unpainted is easily and cheaply replaced...

the 911 vs. R8... i love both cars... this is my take... owning a porsche is sorta a right of passage... after you've owned your first Porsche (911 or not), you dont feel troubled about spending a $100K on another sports car... but the first $100K sports car i buy, is probably gonna be a Porsche (unless i already bought one for $90K) :p

Penforhire 04-26-2007 12:03 PM

Rai, my Z06 was scraping and even high-centering everywhere. With just a modest drop, still using the factory suspension, I had to add frame wheels in the front and aluminum rails (both from A&A) under the rocker panels. Those saved a lot of wear. Maybe something similar for the GT3?

DV, even with $10K (!) off sticker the Cayman S isn't a no-brainer. The BMW M Coupe is still seriously cheaper ($10K or more) and has more motor, though handling is said to be more of a handful (makes it more fun?). And as I mentioned, the Exige S model is coming and, if I could live with Elise entry/exit, might just be the "most" sports car for me. There is also the C6 Z06 to consider (though I said F.U. to GM after my C5 Z06, that is a mean ride). And a real Skyline is coming.

Have I left out any other serious sporting machines that could be cross-shopped up to $75K? I even checked out recent used GT3's but it looks like I'd have to pony up $80+K.

My situation is improving. I convinced the wife to trade in her Liberty last weekend, a ride I hated, on a left-over '06 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L hemi. Drives better than her old G.C. so that is our family vehicle and I don't mind. That engine is, as the ads go, sweet. That frees me up to go back to an extreme ride in a year or so. There's some chance I'll be restoring a 1962 XKE (a.k.a. E Type) roadster starting this year and if that happens I won't have funds for anything else, nor any room in the garage, for at least a few years. :)

PLYRS 3 04-26-2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Apr 26 2007, 04:03 PM
There's some chance I'll be restoring a 1962 XKE (a.k.a. E Type) roadster...

now THAT is worth pursuing!

DO IT....DO IT....DO IT....

wanabe 04-27-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Apr 26 2007, 11:56 AM
the 911 vs. R8... i love both cars... this is my take... owning a porsche is sorta a right of passage... after you've owned your first Porsche (911 or not), you dont feel troubled about spending a $100K on another sports car... but the first $100K sports car i buy, is probably gonna be a Porsche (unless i already bought one for $90K) :p

good point...
got the 911 outta my system a few years ago-
actually was gonna buy the boxster when the s2000 came out.
bought the s2000 and never looked back. especially enjoyed the first few years when the s2000 was rare (especially compared to the boxster).
kinda how i got to the r8- very rare compared to the 911s...
porsche makes great cars, and i have never owned an audi-
but the r8 looks like a great next toy!

protokultur 04-27-2007 10:25 AM

It is a strange world we live in where there are markets for 'alternative' $110k cars.

wanabe 04-27-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Apr 27 2007, 10:25 AM
It is a strange world we live in where there are markets for 'alternative' $110k cars.

and $130k cars like the r8!!

(worse than that, the dealers are taking deposits and do not even have prices yet... other than "about $130k"!)

Amit 04-28-2007 10:02 AM

I'd take it over all the 911's, except for the GT3. That's where my money's at.

lilfotoman 04-28-2007 12:22 PM

the r8 looks HOT

wanabe 05-03-2007 07:59 AM

r8 vs. 911 drifting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmo3LoXN3o

rai 05-03-2007 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Apr 27 2007, 10:25 AM

:iagree:

The R8 at ~$120K car with options, in the group of 911 turbo/GT3/RS as well as the Aston Vantage and I suppose a AMG SL55 and M6.

You don't hear a peep about the Caddy XLR-V thats $100K.

600hp Viper and Blue Devil will be here soon.

MDXLuvr 05-03-2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Amit,Apr 28 2007, 12:02 PM
I'd take it over all the 911's, except for the GT3. That's where my money's at.

:iagree:

rai 05-03-2007 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Amit,Apr 28 2007, 10:02 AM] I'd take it over all the 911's, except for the GT3.

CKit 05-04-2007 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=PLYRS 3,Apr 26 2007, 06:22 AM] the answer is no, it doesn't.

CKit 05-04-2007 08:49 PM

I would worry that the R8 would be TOO much attention.

For that reason, I'd probably get a 911 Turbo over an R8.

Unfortunately, the only people who'll be gawking at the R8 engine under glass are teenage boys and random people you probably don't care to impress.

I'd go so far as to say that an Exige S in most parts of the country would have similar Exotic Appeal to an R8.

I'd get an RS4 (same engine as the R8) plus an Exige S over an R8.

They are starting to make ~$7k turbo kits for the Elise. I'd pick up a used Elise for $30k and mod for $10k as the replacement for the S2000. That would be one heck of a performance bargain for $40k.