S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Rich people don't blow a lot of money on cars (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/rich-people-dont-blow-lot-money-cars-630466/)

Saki GT 09-10-2008 08:38 AM

All that quote states is that rich people spend a lower % of income on cars. Duh.

QUIKAG 09-10-2008 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 10 2008, 08:38 AM
All that quote states is that rich people spend a lower % of income on cars. Duh.

It doesn't say a damn thing about income. It discuss net worth and median value of vehicles between upper class and lower class.

Saki GT 09-10-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 10 2008, 12:39 PM
It doesn't say a damn thing about income. It discuss net worth and median value of vehicles between upper class and lower class.

Fine, substitute money for income. And it doesn't say a "damn thing" about class.

Jimmies 09-10-2008 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Sep 10 2008, 08:04 AM

However, I also live near South Barrington, IL, which is a very wealthy area, and it is chock-full of 5-series, E-classes, Range Rovers, and X5s and MLs. A lot of these people are doctors/lawyers and small business owners, and probably lease these cars for the tax benefit.

I can vouch for South Barrington. That area is full of rich folk. The houses there are obscene.

Incubus 09-10-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 10 2008, 04:38 PM

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to realize that.

My wife told me that wealthier people spend a lower percentage of their income on funerals than poor people...I was thrown off because she made it sound like it would be news to me, or that it wasn't fair or something.

dorikin_86 09-10-2008 08:50 AM

It makes sense - reason they're rich in the first place is becuz they dun blow money on (fast depreciating) assets like cars.

I'm cursed though...I love cars wayyy too much to buy a boring car. Can't exactly enjoy a trackday in a 1980's family saloon....

TheDonEffect 09-10-2008 08:55 AM

I get what people are saying that some folks are just not into cars, but they show their excess in other things. However, I think the point is that the folks who are into cars and buy the flashy ones also partake in the other forms of excess, you rarely get a Jay Leno type who doesn't pop up anywhere on the Fabulous Life show in anyhting other than cars. Also, a lot of the rich buy certain things (like nice cars) to fit into certain social circles which is necessary for them to preserve their financial stasis, can't be driving around multi millionair clients in a geo metro. Most self made millionaires (I mean truly self made, started with nothing and no help) tend to be on the frugal side, but enjoys being able to afford nice things for their family, and I think that's where the confusion begins.

vader1 09-10-2008 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dorikin_86,Sep 10 2008, 10:50 AM
It makes sense - reason they're rich in the first place is becuz they dun blow money on (fast depreciating) assets like cars.

I'm cursed though...I love cars wayyy too much to buy a boring car. Can't exactly enjoy a trackday in a 1980's family saloon....

No but you can buy used cars and let someone else eat a ton on depreciation.

My last two toys I bought a used 1991 MR2 Turbo for $10k. Drove it for seven years, loved every minute and sold it for $7500. (I put a little money into it for new leather and such)

I bought the S as a lease return and paid $20k when it had about 9,000 miles on it. Car still looks new.

Looked at a Merc SLK55 AMG the other day, it has 40,000 miles on it, looks new and is $35k under the price of a new one.

I buy new for the DD but I think all my toys are going to be used cars. I am getting cheap.

wickerbill 09-10-2008 09:13 AM

I bet just about anything that rich people spend money on is a smaller % of their net worth compared to the average person. Food, house, clothing, electronics.

QUIKAG 09-10-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 10 2008, 08:42 AM
Fine, substitute money for income. And it doesn't say a "damn thing" about class.

Fine, substitute 'upper class' for top 10% of households and substitute 'total class' for 'lower class.'