S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Top Gear: the End of Supercars? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/top-gear-end-supercars-720234/)

Mr.E.G. 08-03-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 3 2009, 09:27 AM
Wonderful vid....think I had a bit of a chill up my spine watching it because I really connect with Jeremy's love of freedom and how it's under assault in this new world order.

Just a matter of time before "666" is here imo.

Hahaha. Ok, man. New World Order indeed. Let me guess, it's those pesky democrats isn't it?

btstone84 08-03-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Aug 3 2009, 09:43 AM
Let me guess, it's those pesky democrats isn't it?

yes...

Lice Locket 08-03-2009 09:55 AM

I have to disagree. Supercars always have taken a very minute share of the car market. They have a REALLY small effect on the environment and rich people always exist somewhere in the world to import them (i.e. Saudi Arabia and China's economies are both really good during this world recession).

Mr.E.G. 08-03-2009 09:57 AM

LOL. OK. It's all a big conspiracy because they are in cahoots with all of the world's corporations, all of which happen to be ran by hard line conservatives.

Come on. This is all speculation and paranoia that has business being brought into a grown up conversation.

It's OK for you to disagree with what a political party thinks is the best way to do things, but get real.

2007 Zx-10 08-03-2009 09:57 AM

They have a REALLY small effect on the environment
Missing the point. The point is that gov't restrictions may eventually eliminate cars like this.

Mr.E.G. 08-03-2009 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney,Aug 3 2009, 09:38 AM

You don't actually equate a market-driven *possible* reduction in gas engine exotic cars with the coming of the beast, do you???

Maybe you say it's a symptom, not the core, but geez...

Back on topic, Clarkson is being a bit dramatic (that's a first), in my view.

Dramatic, pandering to a certain group, ehh... you be the judge.

Lice Locket 08-03-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 3 2009, 09:57 AM
Missing the point. The point is that gov't restrictions may eventually eliminate cars like this.

There are already government restrictions... for large car companies. Companies like Lotus and Ferrari (and brands of kit cars like Atom as well) are exempt from a lot of safety and smog laws in the US.

Mr.E.G. 08-03-2009 10:19 AM

lol. didn't you see the other thread about the special allowances that they are giving to smaller manufacturers. That's un-American as well, apparently.

Elistan 08-03-2009 10:27 AM

Meh. :rolleyes: More vapid eye-candy. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the show, it's great eye-candy, but its information content is, as usual, close to nil.

Regardless of the mass market, with its demand for cars under $30k, automatics, cup-holders, five person seating capacity, 30+ mpg, etc., there will always be a market for $200k+, 500 hp, etc. supercars. Maybe not quite as large a market these days as back in 2007 or 1999 when people had lots of paper wealth but no "real" wealth, but a market nonetheless. Even if every las drop of oil is used up next year, with biofuels there will, again, always be a market for such cars for people wealthy to afford them. Just because the Prius is popular doesn't make a V12 Vantage unpopular with its target audience.

The only way such a car can go away is if there is a global move to outlaw them. There will always be thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies in the human race.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...7469a9b8a9.jpg
^^ Yeah, the 458 sure signals the death of the supercar. :rolleyes:

Elistan 08-03-2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Aug 3 2009, 01:03 PM
There are already government restrictions... for large car companies. Companies like Lotus and Ferrari (and brands of kit cars like Atom as well) are exempt from a lot of safety and smog laws in the US.

The Lotus had (has?) an exemption to DOT bumper standards, specifically Part 581. It has nothing to do with safety - "The purpose of this standard is to reduce physical damage to the front and rear ends of a passenger motor vehicle from low speed collisions." And the speed they're talking about is 1.5 mph. That's one-and-a-half. 2.2 feet per second. The Elise complies with all US safety requirements.

The they are not exempt from smog/emission laws in any way, either. (Although they are small enough to be exempt from CAFE requirements, IIRC.)

Similarly, I am not away of any safety/smog laws that Ferrari is exempt from.

(Kit cars do indeed operate under very different rules, though.)