S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Toyota passes Ford in U.S. vehicle sales (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/toyota-passes-ford-u-s-vehicle-sales-409850/)

vader1 08-02-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Aug 2 2006, 09:31 AM
one month this year, 3 months next year, 6 months the year after.....

you'd be an idiot not to see where this is going.

I'd agree with it in pricipal but what it so puzzling is that Ford and their subsidiaries sell lots of cool little efficient car in Europe but won't bring them here because of the worn out theory that we all want F-150's, Expeditions and Explorers. Actually, it is all the few remaining customers you have want, the rest of the people have moved on.

That is precisely why I don't have the slightest interest in anything Ford makes. Could they bring some really exciting little car here and get me into their showroom? Absolutely. But they won't.

Palmateer 08-02-2006 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 2 2006, 04:45 AM
You're the biggest Ford-Leg-Humper I've ever seen. What gives? Why hang out on a S2000 board :confused: :thinker:

Make that "Detroit-Leg-Humper." :p

Slithr 08-02-2006 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Aug 2 2006, 09:38 AM
I'd agree with it in pricipal but what it so puzzling is that Ford and their subsidiaries sell lots of cool little efficient car in Europe but won't bring them here because of the worn out theory that we all want F-150's, Expeditions and Explorers.

I wonder the same thing. It's hard to imagine a meeting like this:

Jr. Exec: What if we brought over some of our exciting, yet thrifty cars from Europe to sell here in the states? We could move many more units and really boost our image. We might even make some money.

Sr. Exec 1: Hmmm. I wonder if that would work?

Sr. Exec 2: I really like trucks.

Pres: It seems like a lot of trouble to sell our European cars in the U.S. We would have to think and be organized. Trucks rock.

Sr. Exec 1: OK. Next order of business, truck sales incentives..............

Why aren't those cars here? It might be U.S. crash standards. It's hard to understand why more of the high mileage technology that is in Europe isn't making its way here. I bet Mercedes is selling the crap out of turbo diesels these days.

Poindexter 08-02-2006 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Aug 2 2006, 12:46 PM
I bet Mercedes is selling the crap out of turbo diesels these days.

And Volkswagens. We have a 3 month long wait list on Jetta TDI's right now.

Funny made-up conversation :LOL: , but even though we knock on Ford the powers that be are smarter than we give them credit. I have to assume that it is their falling behind in technologies that is messing them up. Or they're afraid they can't compete on smaller vehicles against Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.......by "can't compete" I'm referring to the ability to build an equally technological vehicle and still turn a profit.

PLYRS 3 08-02-2006 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 2 2006, 02:05 PM
I have to assume that it is their falling behind in technologies that is messing them up.

how's that pointy?

my dad (in 60's, 2006 MB owner) wouldn't know ABS from DSC or PCCB or TLC or ABC or XYZ.

he drives a benz cuz he wants to....and can afford to.

Purple_sky 08-02-2006 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=no_really,Aug 1 2006, 05:40 PM] for one month.

Poindexter 08-03-2006 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Aug 2 2006, 02:44 PM
how's that pointy?

After I posted that I figured it would be taken the wrong way. When I said "technology" I was not simply referring to new gadgetry - I was talking about everything in the car: electronics, safety equipment, brakes, motor, etc.... I know that some people on these boards think that Ford and GM are right there with Toyota and BMW technology-wise but I'm not one of those people who believe that. And I think the executives at Ford and GM understand that they cannot compete on the same levels. Yes, they'll sell some cars because of the name, but even on the dollar aspect Toyota will absolutely whip their socks off. Nobody can compete with Toyota when it comes to an all out "throw-money-at-it" war. And nobody can produce new car technologies (not all gadgetry) like the Asians and Europeans.