S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Toyota Tundra! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/toyota-tundra-503740/)

kumainu 07-01-2007 04:17 PM

Toyota Tundra!

In a few months, I'll be trading in my Honda Pilot for a Tundra CrewMax 5.7L because I need a little less room and more towing capability to tow a trailer or boat.

'08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L Limited:
MSRP: Around $38K, but I'm sure I can wiggle some room for discount;
381 hp and 401 lb-ft;
towing load: up to almost 11,000 lbs.
payload: 2000 lbs.

If it's anything like my previous Toyota cars, then it should be extremely reliable and dependable. The reason for my choosing a Tundra over the Chevy, Ford, and GM is because my experience with prior Toyotas has been flawless. But I will also check out those others to see what they're like. What are your opinions about this new massive Tundra? What price do you think I can get it for? Thanks! :hello:

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicle...ge/photo_1.jpg

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/tu...?directlink=360

QUIKAG 07-01-2007 04:24 PM

I'd get a VortecMax Silverado personally. A lot of 5.7L Tundra motors blew up recently, guess they had a manufacturing glitch. It was even in the mainstream news.

For that matter, if you can wait a few months, I think the '08 GM trucks are going to start getting the six-speed automatic. At that point, I'd pit the 5.7L motor against the 6.0L VortecMax engine in capability and think the VortecMax motor could pull it off.

Onehots2k 07-01-2007 05:24 PM

As you know, toyota had a great reliability record man. But if I was getting a truck for towing and such I would stick with those whose been building them for almost 100 years. GM and Ford knows what they're doing. (Truck-Wise)

If you cant overcome the brand then go for the Toyota. It is not a bad truck IMO.

Filthy Beast 07-01-2007 05:43 PM

I was looking at a Tundra, i wasnt that impressed, although there nice trucks
and i own 2 4 Runners, after driving one i think its overpriced. Go to the Tundra forum www.tundrasolutions.com there having losts of problems.
I drove a Nissan crew cab LE and really liked it, im getting it for 33,600
out the door. Nissan will deal right now. We are on our 3rd 4 Runner so i cant
bash Toyota. I just feel Nissan has a better, cheaper product this year.

Chris S 07-01-2007 11:17 PM

I drove the new Tundra 5.7, and IMO it blew away any other 1/2 ton truck I've ever driven, esp. the powertrain. If anything goes bad, that's wwhat waranties are for.

JonBoy 07-02-2007 06:20 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I'm typically an "import" guy for mainstream SUVs and cars (with a few exceptions - Tahoe, Vette, SRX, 300C).

However, with a full-size pick-up, I am solidly behind GM on this one. I've been in the new Silverado and it is very well made, solidly put together, fit and finish is great, and it's a great looking truck to boot. The interior is light years ahead of the previous gen and (to my eye) probably the best in the pick-up business right now (with the F-150 King Ranch or Lariat right behind it).

The Tundra motor is a beast but the rest of the truck (looks espeically) really doesn't do much for me. It's a big step ahead for Toyota but I'm still not convinced.

JonBoy 07-02-2007 06:21 AM

The Titans I've been in have also had a monster motor, especially considering it's the base (only) motor available. While the looks are a bit more controversial, it's really a great truck overall. Tons of passing power, very quick, and pretty well built.

kumainu 07-02-2007 05:22 PM

I will test-drive the others to see how they are, but I just have so much faith in Toyota for some reason. FYI, the Tundra has fully grown up, not like the previous years. It is now a full-size truck with full-size dimensions, full-size towing load (probably the most of all other trucks in its class), full-size engine, etc. As for certain glitches, all makers have had them, so I'm sure Toyota will have resolved them. As of this moment, I'm 75% set on the Tundra CrewMax, the other 25% on the other trucks, but if I find one of the other trucks really awesome, I'll certainly buy it instead of the Tundra.

You think I could get the Tundra CrewMax for invoice?

Onehots2k 07-02-2007 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by kumainu,Jul 2 2007, 05:22 PM
I will test-drive the others to see how they are, but I just have so much faith in Toyota for some reason. FYI, the Tundra has fully grown up, not like the previous years. It is now a full-size truck with full-size dimensions, full-size towing load (probably the most of all other trucks in its class), full-size engine, etc. As for certain glitches, all makers have had them, so I'm sure Toyota will have resolved them. As of this moment, I'm 75% set on the Tundra CrewMax, the other 25% on the other trucks, but if I find one of the other trucks really awesome, I'll certainly buy it instead of the Tundra.

You think I could get the Tundra CrewMax for invoice?

Yeah okay, you've already had your mind made up before you posted this. I dont believe for 1 second you'd buy anything other than the Tundra.

kumainu 07-02-2007 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Jul 2 2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah okay, you've already had your mind made up before you posted this. I dont believe for 1 second you'd buy anything other than the Tundra.

I never said I wasn't set on the Tundra. In the first post, I said I wanted to trade for a Tundra CrewMax already. However, if one of the other trucks seems outstanding, I will consider it. Btw, I'm sure the Tundra also beats them in resale value too, and that will be important to me a few years from now. ;)

I'm inquiring about the pricing and opinions on it, really.