S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   What car would you sell the S for? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/what-car-would-you-sell-s-595880/)

Saki GT 05-13-2008 09:10 AM

What car would you sell the S for?

So, imagine you're moving on from the S2000, what car do you think you'd buy giving your situation in life? What do you want in a car that the S doesn't offer?

nearwater4me 05-13-2008 09:32 AM

If I had the money, I'd trade in my S for an R8.
I know, totally different vehicle. But I want to own an exotic before I die.

Dan

dyhppy 05-13-2008 09:33 AM

the s2k is worth so little relatively it doesn't make sense to sell.

in my worthless opinion, people who say they are "upgrading" from the S are simply being old fogeys. 997 S or R8 would make nice additions, though

Elistan 05-13-2008 10:22 AM

Money no object?
'98 993 Carrera 2S. R8. GT3. NSX. Gallardo SL. Carrera GT. Mclaren F1. Veyron. Maybe a Noble or RUF. Maybe a GT-R.

Honestly, not much else appeals to me from an ownership perspective.

wills2k106 05-13-2008 10:26 AM

I want more room and was thinking of a GTO until the G8 came out. A G8 GXP with the manual would do everything I would want a daily driver to do. Mileage can't be that much worse than the S2000.

Although with gas prices and the fact that I don't actually need the room I have been looking at the Mini Cooper S. Small, light and nimble, with 36 mpg on the turbo car. If I got the Mini I would have to turn the S into a track/weekend car. Maybe take the F20 out and put it into a dragster and attempt to put a small block into the S. It would fit if you cut out that front cross beam.

CosmosMpower 05-13-2008 10:33 AM

Well the 2 cars that I bought instead of a S2000 were the E36 M3 sedan (great car) and the RX-8 (also a great car). Now that my budget has increased a bit I skipped past the S and picked up an Elise. I think next in line for a fun car after the Lotus is a used GT3 or Noble. If I was going to consolidate cars (daily driver and fun weekend car) I'd be driving a BMW 135i with a few bolt-ons and reflash.

If money were no object almost everything would make the list over a S2000 as the primary cool toy but like the Miata it's so much fun and worth so little now there's would be no reason to sell either of those cars.

mxt_77 05-13-2008 10:36 AM

When you say "given my situation in life", I'm assuming you mean realistically given my current budget, etc. In that case, if I sold the S2000 for another weekender, I'd probably be looking at the C6 or maybe a used 997. If I was selling it (plus my current daily driver) and planning to get a new daily driver, I'd probably be looking at Accords, Fits, or maybe G35 sedans. If I thought gas prices were going back down, I'd consider M3s and IS-Fs, too.

What do I want that the S doesn't offer? For a weekender... more power, more panache, a hardtop. For a DD... more doors and more storage capacity.

aklucsarits 05-13-2008 10:38 AM

I would just end up replacing it with another impractical 2 seat sports car - Solstice GXP with Z0K option, Lotus Elise, C5 Z06 Corvette, C6 Corevtte, BMW M Coupe...

Andrew

vader1 05-13-2008 10:44 AM

The more money I make, the less I want to "upgrade." Maybe I am getting old but I want a car to have fun in and have the S. The problem is its a summer DD and my commute is getting so congested I hardly get to enjoy what it can do as it is, and no track within 150 miles.

Driving an expensive nameplate to show off does nothing for me, and neither does luxury.

So my plan is to put an SC on the car to make it more fun and just keep it. Its 8 years old and has only got 27,000 on it and then put my discretionary in better places.

But what cars would I take if I did not have to spend say more than $10k plus trade? C6 maybe, Boxster S for sure, and maybe Elise.

I used to just LUST for cars but that is fading. The only thing throwing a monkey wrench in that could be whatever that Lexus car is called testing at Nurburgring. I watched that video and had the lust again. If its sub $75k, I could drop the retirement savings a little. Or if they make a cheaper Supra version......... :ponder:

mxt_77 05-13-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,May 13 2008, 12:44 PM
The more money I make, the less I want to "upgrade." Maybe I am getting old

Totally agree. There are a lot of cars out there that interest me to some degree, but every time I think about buying, I can't help but think about how that will impact my nest egg that I'm just now really starting to build. If I bought a 60K car, that would end up costing me 200K or more worth of my retirement funds, due to the fact that I wouldn't have that 60K to grow/invest/save over the next 20-25 years. I've recently been thinking about buying a truck to tow the S2000 to the track and other duties around the house, and even those are ~40K new. I just can't convince myself to spend that kind of money on a vehicle any more... even though the S2000 was 32K when I bought it, and I didn't even blink at that purchase.