Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what is the saab 92-X

Old 10-27-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is the saab 92-X

I saw this on the saab site and they say that they colaborated with subaru. From the hood scoop it looks like a saab version of a wrx? interesting????

Old 10-27-2003, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also supposed to have 4 wheel drive??
Old 10-27-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's a WRX redone for Saab. Two versions, a 2.5L NA and 2.0L 227hp turbo (ie WRX). Yes, AWD. Basically, The General is using its clout with both and trying to make Saab more viable. Saab has redone the exterior but reportedly (and this is a surprise to me) not the interior. Too bad as that is where Saab kicks booty on Subaru. Reportedly, it'll have the ignition on the (egad!) column, not the console like a "proper" Saab.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:32 PM

I'm curious about this car. If you take into consideration Saab's line up, it's kind of odd. Saab has been doing turbo cars for some time. Why not use one of thier platforms? I hear they have an AWD in Europe. The Viggen was a hidden beast. Sure it was FWD but the price was in the mid $30k. Also the 9-3 with a 2.0L 4cyl turbo in it's three trims, ranges from 175hp or 210hp and cost between $27k-$33k. Then there is the 9-5 with a 2.3L 4cly turbo, ranges from 220hp and 250hp, and price is $35k-$40k.

I have to think the Saabaru will take a huge chunk of the sales of the more expensive, less powerful, line up of sedans. I'd think the pricing would not be more than that of a "regular" WRX or I could be wrong. They label it Saab, do little changes and stick a higher sticker on it.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 PM

cool, sort of
Old 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM

The Saab doesn't have a boxer engine, though. No way Subaru would let GM anywhere near that!

-Matt
Old 10-28-2003, 06:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FCGuy
Yes, it's a WRX redone for Saab.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:02 PM

Heh. Finally saw one of these on the street. I had to see for myself, and yes, the interior is bone stock WRX with the silver accents and all.

I really thought nobody, and I mean nobody, would buy one of these cars. C'mon a WRX for 27 large MSRP? For what, the badge? But, someone in SF has one, although I suppose it could be the dealer driving it around to give it some street time. I'd love to chat up the owner to see why.

I'm also wondering, is the SAAB dealer going to stock all the parts necessary to maintain the WRX, or will they just drive down the the Subaru dealer next door?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I'm more worried that with something more reliable than the average Saab, the mechanics at the Saab dealers are going to get lonely. . .

As a side note, my s2k has been in the shop, and I'm renting a 9-5 wagon. Great rental. Great interior, but man, there's something a little sickly-sounding about the engine.

-B
Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Junk_Turbo420A,Oct 27 2003, 08:32 PM
I'm curious about this car. If you take into consideration Saab's line up, it's kind of odd. Saab has been doing turbo cars for some time. Why not use one of thier platforms? I hear they have an AWD in Europe. The Viggen was a hidden beast. Sure it was FWD but the price was in the mid k. Also the 9-3 with a 2.0L 4cyl turbo in it's three trims, ranges from 175hp or 210hp and cost between k-k. Then there is the 9-5 with a 2.3L 4cly turbo, ranges from 220hp and 250hp, and price is k-k.

I have to think the Saabaru will take a huge chunk of the sales of the more expensive, less powerful, line up of sedans. I'd think the pricing would not be more than that of a "regular" WRX or I could be wrong. They label it Saab, do little changes and stick a higher sticker on it.
The WRX is naturally based on the Impreza, which has a large potential capacity for production. The 9-2 is basically a WRX, the suspension settings have been fettled with a little bit, the interior has a few slight changes (the center console is actually Forester instead of Impreza), and the exterior also has some changes. That being said, it cost GM WAY less to simply re-badge an already developed Subaru than develop an all new car from the aging Saab platform/parts bin. Saab is in big financial trouble, and this was a way for them to get some much needed $$$ without a big outlay in development dollars. Saab parts are cheap in Europe but horribly expensive in the US, which makes them a less attractive buy. Add to that higher initial purchase costs and the WRX re-badge makes a lot of sense for the American market in particular (to me anyway).

It may not be very elegant, but its part of the attempt to keep Saab afloat. The new 9-3 really is a terrific car, but I was scared away from buying one for myself due to purchase and running costs.

FWIW.......

-Mirror

Quick Reply: what is the saab 92-X