S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Win a Lambo, Crash a Lambo (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/win-lambo-crash-lambo-916887/)

RT-B2 12-21-2011 05:33 AM

Win a Lambo, Crash a Lambo

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1858...ter-winning-it

The injustice of it all... read on...

SANTAQUIN — Inside a gated fence at Alexander's Towing in Santaquin Tuesday, a Honda, Toyota, and a Ford waited to be fixed — as did a $380,000 Lamborghini Murcielago.

"I couldn't believe I won it," said David Dopp, a Santaquin resident who won the car in a Maverik "Joe Schmo to Lambo" contest recently.

This past Saturday, the car was given to him by the nonprofit organization teamgive during a ceremony at a Santaquin Maverick gas station.

"Yeah, I got it on Saturday and I wrecked it on Saturday," Dopp said, forcing a half smile.

YouTube: David Dopp Reacts to Winning the teamgive Lamborghini

He was one of thousands to enter the contest. During halftime of the BYU football game on Nov. 12, he and the other 9 finalists appeared on the field at halftime. That's when it was announced he had won the car.

After Dopp received the keys to the car, he started giving lots of rides to family and friends. He also took a lot of pictures.

"It was kind of weird seeing a more expensive car than a house sitting in the same spot," Dopp said. "Usually, you see these sitting outside of mansions, not outside a little house here in Santaquin."

The crash happened only six hours later. "We were coming up a hill, going around a corner; and as soon as we came up the hill, we either hit some black ice or loose gravel or something, and all of a sudden we just started spinning," Dopp recalled. "We ended up in a field, and I back-ended a couple of fence posts."

The car also has a little front-end damage, a puncture in the wheel, and scratches all along the passenger side.

David Dopp poses in front of his home with his new Lamborghini Murcielago.(Photo courtesy Annette Dopp)
Dopp asked his buddy to call his wife for him. "My heart pretty much fell out," said Annette Dopp. "They said they were OK, then (came), you know, that feeling when your heart drops and you're like, 'Oh, my gosh. What do we do now?'"

The car couldn't be driven, so Dopp called a towing company to pick it up.

The good news in all of this is that Dopp had insurance on the car. It was one of the contest requirements before he could take the keys.

"That's what insurance is for," he said.

The car will be taken to a Las Vegas body shop Wednesday morning to be fixed.

Dopp, who also won $5,000 worth of driving lessons at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele County, says he'll be more careful next time.

"It's going to be all nice and pretty here in a couple of months, I'm sure," Dopp said.

Switchblade 12-21-2011 05:38 AM

That didn't take long...... :banghead:

JohnsS2000 12-21-2011 05:52 AM

dumb ass. he should have been required to take the driving lessons 1st

control_freak 12-21-2011 06:38 AM

thats what happens when your give an inexperienced driver a high horse power exotic beauty. :argh: :brokehrt:

SpudRacer 12-21-2011 06:52 AM

What a waste! I'm totally OK with Ferrari, Lamborghini, et al having a screening process for potential owners.

Saki GT 12-21-2011 07:01 AM

At least he has insurance.

deepbluejh 12-21-2011 07:07 AM

He might as well just sell that thing and take the cash. The maintenance and repair costs on that car are going to be huge.

EastS2k 12-21-2011 07:31 AM

I'd take it to a few track days and the drag strip and then sell it for maximum profit, get something faster for half the price and put the rest away.

rnye 12-21-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by EastS2k (Post 21253754)
I'd take it to a few track days and the drag strip and then sell it for maximum profit, get something faster for half the price and put the rest away.

WIN.

s2kpdx01 12-21-2011 08:47 AM

taxes are going to be murder. and now it probably lost 75-100k of it's value.

cold weather on summer tires and lots of hp is a bad combo even if you are pretty experienced. thing ap1 tires in the cold with 2.5X as much HP.