Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$100k exotics

Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This phenomenon also trickled down to sub-exotic cars, the worst offender is the M4 I am keeping my eyes out for one, constantly seem them in low 40's high 30's with decent mileage, considering that it was close to 80k-90k new, and is fairly new (aka not a 10 year old exotic) I think its one of the better bargains out there, plus they are severely under-rated from factory.

this one just sold for 41k with under 20k miles. Pick your poison, 6 speed or DCT. I would definitely take one of these vs a brand new stang/maro v8

now which would you rather have an 18' CTR marked up to 40k or a couple year old M4 for same price? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
This phenomenon also trickled down to sub-exotic cars, the worst offender is the M4 I am keeping my eyes out for one, constantly seem them in low 40's high 30's with decent mileage, considering that it was close to 80k-90k new, and is fairly new (aka not a 10 year old exotic) I think its one of the better bargains out there, plus they are severely under-rated from factory.

this one just sold for 41k with under 20k miles. Pick your poison, 6 speed or DCT. I would definitely take one of these vs a brand new stang/maro v8

now which would you rather have an 18' CTR marked up to 40k or a couple year old M4 for same price? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Noted, thank you. Have not seen them that low.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
.... There's actually a good article in Autocar comparing 360 CS vs. Exige and the Exige wins...

I saw the same article and it's how the reader interpret the wording. Rather have the Ferrari.
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...vsferrari.html

Originally Posted by vader1
Saw an article some time ago about how Ferrari is selling several times what they used to. Lamborghini is shoving out cars, and McClaren too.

I think this will mean that used ones will be more affordable as the very wealthy keep trading up, but I think this will also mean investment potential will go down. You won't find as many Ferrari's where just 200 were made, it will be several thousand which will impact the market.

that is not to say there won't be the ability to grab something that will be collectable, but that it will be tougher to find and that you might just be paying to keep up and exotic that will still depreciate for a long time in your hands. If you want that expense just to enjoy the car, go for it. If you think it will pay for itself in appreciation, you probably will be mistaken.
the trick is to bite the bullet and get something made in relatively low volume. CS, 16M, Scuderia, TdF, etc. They hold their value relatively well compared to the more "mass produced" Ferrari's. Having said that, IMO exotic market is bubbly due to the good economy. Once the market cools, the exotic market will deflate greatly.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
A buddy just picked up a 2006 Maserati GranSport last weekend for 30K. It's way more exotic than the GranTurismo and more exiciting to drive. This is a good feet first into an exotic car for those wanting to test the waters. Has the F1 transmission like the Ferrari and a sound that is a cousin of the Ferrari. Plenty of exhaust mods ready to bridge the gap closer to a Ferrari. If you are able to rock this car and keep it in top shape for a couple of years, then the next move to Aston or Ferrari won't be so scary.

I drove his car for a good hour yeserday. I am actually consdering the GranSport spyder for next season as a third car. Just too good of a deal.

Going to Monterey Car Week in 2.5 weeks and signed up to test drive a GranTurismo vert. Not really considering, just want to hear that noise with the top down!
Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer
I try not to mention too much Porsche stuff since apparently that offends a couple of people.... You should drive the Gt3 and Spyder... The Spyder is my favorite P car but I needed a "backseat" to appease the wife. Both the 997 Gt3 and Spyder will give just as much sense of Occassion as the exotics you are speaking about. My 911 is a C2S cab with full bushings, mounts, suspension, and bolt ons with tune. The sound is every bit as good as a GT3 with an exhaust and it is more fun to drive than a stock anything to me - VERY subjective I know but friends with these cars agree, they just typically don't venture down the mod path. The Spyder gets a proper 6 speed (although geared too long) and is as much fun as you can have behind the wheel. Redundant but the GT3 and Spyder are in an a completely elevated driving experience from non GT P cars (stock for stock).
I'm sure driving one of those Porsches will be just as exciting as the Ferrari, but I'm not sure they can match the sound of that V8, seeing it through glass as you walk toward it, etc. Just different experiences, not one better than the other. The GT4/Spyder gearing issue really bothers me, as I like nice short gearing. They have solutions now, but not cheap. I also think the Boxster Spyder will drop in value once the 981.2/718 version comes out - assuming it's an N/A flat-6 of course.

Originally Posted by S2020
I saw the same article and it's how the reader interpret the wording. Rather have the Ferrari.
Lotus Elise Press, Comparison of Ferrari 360 and Elise
I read it that they were equally fun to drive, but of course the Ferrari is more desirable as an object overall. I mean, hardly anyone would pick the Lotus if given the choice for free.
Originally Posted by S2020
the trick is to bite the bullet and get something made in relatively low volume. CS, 16M, Scuderia, TdF, etc. They hold their value relatively well compared to the more "mass produced" Ferrari's. Having said that, IMO exotic market is bubbly due to the good economy. Once the market cools, the exotic market will deflate greatly.
I somewhat disagree. Sure, you'll see a correction (and I think stuff like air cooled Porsches and old BMWs will soften more) but there will always be enough people wanting a "regular" F430 that a decent one won't dip below maybe $80k. I'd feel much more secure in the value of a used Ferrari than pretty much any new car.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Going to Monterey Car Week in 2.5 weeks and signed up to test drive a GranTurismo vert. Not really considering, just want to hear that noise with the top down!
Every time I had a chance to buy a GranTurismo and drove one; they did little for me. Big, heavy, not that exciting to drive. They sure look nice and have a real back seat. That's where it ends. Even though they are all leather, the quality just isn't that nice. The GranSport is more engaging to drive and feel sportier. I haven't driven the MC which is supposed to make the GranTurismo what should've been. That said, all the Maserati models look to be great values on the used market. Heck, even the latest 2013+ Qporte's are in the 30's. If my wife will go with a used car, one of those could be it. At that price, heck Toyota Camry's are priced at. Granted this goes back to the several thousand a year to keep running...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k

I think it will continue to go down to the low/mid $30's during the next 5 years.
M cars depreciate like crazy (Save for E30's)

I think that for that kind of money, I'd much rather have a Gen 2 6-Speed CTS-V Coupe (or wagon). It looks much better too in my opinion.

https://static.wheelwell.com/u/770e7...92d2.large.jpg

Last edited by Su2uKa!; 08-06-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer
I try not to mention too much Porsche stuff since apparently that offends a couple of people.... You should drive the Gt3 and Spyder... The Spyder is my favorite P car but I needed a "backseat" to appease the wife. Both the 997 Gt3 and Spyder will give just as much sense of Occassion as the exotics you are speaking about. My 911 is a C2S cab with full bushings, mounts, suspension, and bolt ons with tune. The sound is every bit as good as a GT3 with an exhaust and it is more fun to drive than a stock anything to me - VERY subjective I know but friends with these cars agree, they just typically don't venture down the mod path. The Spyder gets a proper 6 speed (although geared too long) and is as much fun as you can have behind the wheel. Redundant but the GT3 and Spyder are in an a completely elevated driving experience from non GT P cars (stock for stock).
My friend has a Spider, another one has a GT3, I have a CS.
I swapped car with the GT3 for a couple weeks. This was not one drive, but having a car for an extended period of time.
The Spyder was one afternoon drive.

We ALL (Porsche and Ferrari owners) agree that the CS is much more of an occasion than the Porsches.

Last edited by S2020; 08-06-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:24 PM

I'm sure driving one of those Porsches will be just as exciting as the Ferrari, but I'm not sure they can match the sound of that V8, seeing it through glass as you walk toward it, etc. Just different experiences, not one better than the other. The GT4/Spyder gearing issue really bothers me, as I like nice short gearing. They have solutions now, but not cheap. I also think the Boxster Spyder will drop in value once the 981.2/718 version comes out - assuming it's an N/A flat-6 of course.

I read it that they were equally fun to drive, but of course the Ferrari is more desirable as an object overall. I mean, hardly anyone would pick the Lotus if given the choice for free.

I somewhat disagree. Sure, you'll see a correction (and I think stuff like air cooled Porsches and old BMWs will soften more) but there will always be enough people wanting a "regular" F430 that a decent one won't dip below maybe $80k. I'd feel much more secure in the value of a used Ferrari than pretty much any new car.
Not sure if the Cayman/Boxster will ever be NA again. Even the 911's are turbo now (except GT3).
yeah, 430's wont go much below 80. They are still $100+ now so still a little way to drop.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

NSX.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been super-pleased with my manual 360 Spider purchased last year.

It's a really good fit for what I value in a sports car. I can imagine supplementing it with other cars in the future, but it's hard to imagine replacing it.

Quick Reply: $100k exotics