Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$100k exotics

Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

YMMV but in a lot of cases “exotic” brand just means low volume, not-successful small company. This is a hobby and doesn’t have to be rational so if image, looks, sound or whatever floats someone’s boat, and they can afford it then more power to them. I’d do think Aston’s look incredible and Maseratis sound amazing. Having said that when there are great cars from Porsche and BMW among others that are just as good if not better than exotics, that are much cheaper to own and also hold their value well and have better after market support...
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHonda
...Having said that when there are great cars from Porsche and BMW among others that are just as good if not better than exotics, that are much cheaper to own and also hold their value well and have better after market support...
No German equivalent is going to offer the sense of occasion driving an Aston Martin, McLaren, Lotus, or Ferrari.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
No German equivalent is going to offer the sense of occasion driving an Aston Martin, McLaren, Lotus, or Ferrari.
Branding isn’t meaningful to me.
Aston. Heavy gt cars. Some good ones are a lot less than than $100k too. Mid-$40s gets a DB9 but for that money a 911 will do me fine. The look just isn’t that meaningful to me.
McClaren. I’m sure they’re great but not relevant to the OP’s $100k price point.
Ferrari. $100k options aren’t interesting to except for sentimental value.
Lotus. I’d like an Elise. Evora is intriguing but it wouldn’t seem any more of an occasion than a Cayman. They run Toyota four- and six-cylinder engines which are not exotic and that’s a positive as far as I’m concerned.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 AM

Aston. Heavy gt cars. Some good ones are a lot less than than $100k too. Mid-$40s gets a DB9 but for that money a 911 will do me fine. The look just isn’t that meaningful to me.
McClaren. I’m sure they’re great but not relevant to the OP’s $100k price point.
Lotus. I’d like an Elise. Evora is intriguing but it wouldn’t seem any more of an occasion than a Cayman. They run Toyota four- and six-cylinder engines which are not exotic and that’s a positive as far as I’m concerned.
Good luck with that mid 40's DB9. Vantage is every inch as good as a 911 in performance. I had a Porsche driving instructor in my Vantage and he wants to swap out his track 911 for a Vantage. He was so blown away and had no idea the Vantage was that full on sports car. Have you driven an Evora and Cayman back to back? If you have you'll know what I mean about sense of occasion. Evora is way more sensory ride than a Cayman. You don't get out of the Cayman feeling like a rock star... Here's my friend's Cayman S:

Here's the 911 that couldn't beat out the Evora either despite costing more, more horsepower and all the stuff magazines say the 911 is better...

I have driven that car a lot and he has driven my Evora too. That Cayman S can't beat out the Evora despite having more power. He's looking to buy an Evora 400 now (traded in the Cayman S on a new 911 and was blown away on the 400). 911 and DB9 are just too different IMO.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YMMV but in a lot of cases “exotic” brand just means low volume, not-successful small company. This is a hobby and doesn’t have to be rational so if image, looks, sound or whatever floats someone’s boat, and they can afford it then more power to them. I’d do think Aston’s look incredible and Maseratis sound amazing. Having said that when there are great cars from Porsche and BMW among others that are just as good if not better than exotics, that are much cheaper to own and also hold their value well and have better after market support...
BMW no longer makes decent sports cars.... Porsche has always punched above it's weight class but is also a study of compromises. What you get in an exotic is more focus and less compromise, less need to do "everything". This an S2000 with things like aluminum suspension components instead of cast... real brakes, less rattles, etc. Not to mention better materials. IMO the S2000 has no rivals at it's mid 30K price but imagine what could have been done for 100K? They just wouldn't have sold many.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to have to agree that for well under $100K, the Evora 400 is one of the most appealing options:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 AM

You can get an MP4 Mclaren now easy for 100K.... It's going to be no fun though! The only one I'd consider is the 570 with the traditional suspension. The Hydraulic suspension on the other models is certainly faster on a track but sucks the life out of any feeling in the car.

Aston's hide their weight well and the one to get for DRIVING is a 2011+ Manual V8 Vantage..... It has more in common with the experience of the S2000 than you think

Lotus Evora 400/S is a FANTASTIC drivers car. Elise is a raw go cart with no compromises and to your point a Cayman is a great competitor that you can actually commute in.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer
Aston's hide their weight well and the one to get for DRIVING is a 2011+ Manual V8 Vantage..... It has more in common with the experience of the S2000 than you think

Lotus Evora 400/S is a FANTASTIC drivers car. Elise is a raw go cart with no compromises and to your point a Cayman is a great competitor that you can actually commute in.
All great points. My Vantage was '11 V8 manual. Really old school with a heavier clutch, nice shifting, super quick hydraulic steering and very little nannies. Driving an Aston really conveys that feeling of James Bond and V8 is a screamer. More so than the V8's that Maserati uses. Aston V12 sounds awesome, but not a vicious as the V8 (for better or worse).
Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 AM

Good luck with that mid 40's DB9. Vantage is every inch as good as a 911 in performance. I had a Porsche driving instructor in my Vantage and he wants to swap out his track 911 for a Vantage. He was so blown away and had no idea the Vantage was that full on sports car. Have you driven an Evora and Cayman back to back? If you have you'll know what I mean about sense of occasion. Evora is way more sensory ride than a Cayman. You don't get out of the Cayman feeling like a rock star... Here's my friend's Cayman S:

Here's the 911 that couldn't beat out the Evora either despite costing more, more horsepower and all the stuff magazines say the 911 is better...

I have driven that car a lot and he has driven my Evora too. That Cayman S can't beat out the Evora despite having more power. He's looking to buy an Evora 400 now (traded in the Cayman S on a new 911 and was blown away on the 400). 911 and DB9 are just too different IMO.
The DB9 isn't a sports car.... If you compare to anything in the Porsche line up it would have to be a Panny.

Agreed that the Evora has some sort of witchcrafty black magic suspension. This includes not only the extreme traction and handling ability with the perfect amount of roll but also the comfort and civility when you're on the highway or just cruising. It really is amazing and under-appreciated.

Not sure I can agree with your assessment of a vantage vs 911 or evora.... VERY different. A same gen 911 vs vantage will always have the 911 being much more precise and capable, especially with PDK. As far as fun - I'd say the vantage wins against the new boosted porsches. In terms of track performance, they also need to be driven very differently but the 911 will get faster times than a Vantage or Evora. A cayman and Evora will be a lot closer on a track but the Evora(to your point) will be much more special and the cayman more buttoned down.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:10 AM

All great points. My Vantage was '11 V8 manual. Really old school with a heavier clutch, nice shifting, super quick hydraulic steering and very little nannies. Driving an Aston really conveys that feeling of James Bond and V8 is a screamer. More so than the V8's that Maserati uses. Aston V12 sounds awesome, but not a vicious as the V8 (for better or worse).
The Aston V12 is amazing but it's like throwing a LS3 in the front of an S2000... the weight really hinders the handling and you're either oversteering way too much or spinning the tires. That V8 is a perfect match for driving. In an Aston, you don't care about lap times. The Mas are more grand touring cars.

In 2019 I will be adding a V8V GT 6M - maybe a GTS if I get lucky. The "cheapest" and best one IMO

This brings up another point.... In many of these exotic cars - the "driver's" car is the cheapest or lowest one on the totem pole. In the Porsche world, many would testify that the one to get is a base, manual, no option car in whatever model or gen you like. There is merit to this.

Aston V8V GT
Maclaren 570
Porsche 911T
Audi R8 RWD

All the "entry level" and best drivers.

Another car to consider if you want a "budget" exotic is the Alfa 4C. You'll look rich too haha.

Quick Reply: $100k exotics