Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$100k exotics

Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
friendly advice: edit this post before Jonboy sees it.
What part are you suggesting is controversial?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I started writing this post with a huge rant about entry level exotic cars, but realized no one will/should read it.

For a budget exotic car, I'd go Viper, Evora, GT3, and NSX (despite all the shade I threw at that car lol). The rest of the field for the most part are just marketed overpriced automobiles that are meant to be parked infront of restaurants to show off new money. Nothing wrong with that, I got a huge kick when a Beverly Hlls restaurant wanted to park my Shelby (now sold because I'm cheap) infront of their restaurant, so I get it. But man, those entry level exotic cars these days really frustrate me.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
For a budget exotic car, I'd go Viper, Evora, GT3, and NSX (despite all the shade I threw at that car lol).
Prices of the new NSX are falling as fast as the old NSX is rising. Soon they'll pretty much intersect (probably already do for the best old NSX vs. the cheapest new NSX).
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Honestly, at $100K, I'd be all over a 997 GT3 or a used V2 NSX. The V2 NSX used price isn't quite that low yet (as far as I know) but it'll get there soon. It'll probably be more reliable than any of the others (ie, lower carrying costs) and it's as fast as you'll ever want. It'll also depreciate a little more as well, so pick your poison.

The V2 NSX doesn't have the general sense of occasion as you'll get from a Ferrari V8 or a N/A Porsche GT model, for instance, but it'll scare you pretty fast and be far quicker than any of them in nearly any situation. It is "exotic" in the sense that it's a low-production, rare vehicle with lots of power. It just happens to be livable...

Viper, to me, is another great choice. It's more like a Porsche GTx model than a typical exotic (ie, it's "lower" class) but it definitely has a sense of occasion when you drive it (loud, fairly rough, not great visibility, over the top, etc) and it should be reliable for decades.

The question is, do you want an EXOTIC or just a rare, neat car that turns your crank? To me, it's about the experience more than anything so any car that is fairly rare, focused and a great driving experience is "exotic" (especially at $100K).
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Honestly, at $100K, I'd be all over a 997 GT3 or a used V2 NSX. The V2 NSX used price isn't quite that low yet (as far as I know) but it'll get there soon. It'll probably be more reliable than any of the others (ie, lower carrying costs) and it's as fast as you'll ever want. It'll also depreciate a little more as well, so pick your poison.

The V2 NSX doesn't have the general sense of occasion as you'll get from a Ferrari V8 or a N/A Porsche GT model, for instance, but it'll scare you pretty fast and be far quicker than any of them in nearly any situation. It is "exotic" in the sense that it's a low-production, rare vehicle with lots of power. It just happens to be livable...

Viper, to me, is another great choice. It's more like a Porsche GTx model than a typical exotic (ie, it's "lower" class) but it definitely has a sense of occasion when you drive it (loud, fairly rough, not great visibility, over the top, etc) and it should be reliable for decades.

The question is, do you want an EXOTIC or just a rare, neat car that turns your crank? To me, it's about the experience more than anything so any car that is fairly rare, focused and a great driving experience is "exotic" (especially at $100K).
Drove an NSX V2 last summer and you are right - incredibly fast and big power at any revs and any gear. And it definitely looks truly exotic. The "sense of occasion" thing did leave me cold though. It sounds like a mundane V6 when you're just driving around, and the interior quality is about the same as any Acura.

Besides the F430, another car that I was interested in at ~$100k is the gen-1 R8 V10. Consider:
-N/A V10 that is reliable and easily modified, sounds ridiculous with an exhaust
-Gated 6-spd manual
-Still looks great IMO
-Sexy vert available, with a rear window that slides down even when the top is up for V10 listening
-Perfectly livable ride and nice interior
-Can actually get a well-kept V10 with 20-25k miles for $80-85k easily

Seems like a great blend of old school stuff (N/A, manual) in a modern and reasonable maintenance cost (as exotics go) that's unlikely to depreciate much and may even appreciate. It's heavy and not as crisp as something like a GT3, but if you want an exotic experience, it's a great option.

As for me, I'm picking up my new Elise tomorrow because I don't want compromise (and I'm not that rich, haha).
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started writing this post with a huge rant about entry level exotic cars, but realized no one will/should read it.

For a budget exotic car, I'd go Viper, Evora, GT3, and NSX (despite all the shade I threw at that car lol). The rest of the field for the most part are just marketed overpriced automobiles that are meant to be parked infront of restaurants to show off new money. Nothing wrong with that, I got a huge kick when a Beverly Hlls restaurant wanted to park my Shelby (now sold because I'm cheap) infront of their restaurant, so I get it. But man, those entry level exotic cars these days really frustrate me.
These are all good choices. I would also recommend the R8 (with gated shifter) even the V8 is a really special car. And like the NSX, relatively reliable and liveable.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Ah I forgot about the r8, good choice as well. I'm sure theres more I forgot.

The nsx at its projected used price is appealing and is undergoing something like what the original one went through in that on paper it was rendered expensive relative to its performance and it's not a Ferrari. That said I think it still has alot of occasion because park it in any parking lot and most of the time it stands out, and it does hold it's own sitting next to Italian exotics. The sound isnt great for what it is, but the gas engine is always on and I'd imagine someone would make a good exhaust to make it sound better. No one is buying the first gen NSX because of the sound either.

What is appealing to me about this car is that it is as useable as a car with its dimensions and intentions can be. Cars like ferraris and even the viper of you're being honest are a chore to drive, loud, uncomfortable, after thought amenities, etc whereas the nsx when just driving around can actually cruise.

I've never driven one, so full disclosure, but my buddies who have all report the car generally drives intuitively, felt the most heroic of any car they've driven including gtx porsches which is high praise. My knock on it though is I fear that the complicated drivetrain is going to prove expensive to repair in the future.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Cars like ferraris and even the viper of you're being honest are a chore to drive, loud, uncomfortable, after thought amenities, etc whereas the nsx when just driving around can actually cruise.
What makes them a chore I suspect the NSX also falls prey to; hard to get in and out of, poor rear and side visibility, and awkward transmission engagement. Low sleek cars are just not easy for ingress/egress and generally have small rear windows. I went to a Lotus owners meet up in my Rapide. Someone with an Elise sits in the Rapide and she says "wow, not much rear view..." I was like "oh really, coming from a Lotus owner?" She laughed and realized the perspective of her description.

Nothing can break out a quick sweat like backing your fancy exotic at a car show with a ton of people watching and a tight space... If it's a manual, you're sure to stall with all the eyes in the world upon you...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What makes them a chore I suspect the NSX also falls prey to; hard to get in and out of, poor rear and side visibility, and awkward transmission engagement. Low sleek cars are just not easy for ingress/egress and generally have small rear windows. I went to a Lotus owners meet up in my Rapide. Someone with an Elise sits in the Rapide and she says "wow, not much rear view..." I was like "oh really, coming from a Lotus owner?" She laughed and realized the perspective of her description.

Nothing can break out a quick sweat like backing your fancy exotic at a car show with a ton of people watching and a tight space... If it's a manual, you're sure to stall with all the eyes in the world upon you...
All true points, but there are other factors, harsh ride, loud driving noise, creaks, rattles, poor ergonomics, heat from trans tunnel, etc etc.

Quick Reply: $100k exotics