Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The $36k Model 3, two week wait.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

310 mile range at low speed, and so long as the weather is not too cold, and you are not trying to smoke the gassers... and are you going to run it to the bottom before recharging? It may be the way of the future, but the utility is still severely limited.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Well I think with the the news of the Model Y which is supposed to be even more affordable, the market for the 3 may stale at least temporarily.
I dont think so. The Model Y is $4-5k more expensive.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
310 mile range at low speed, and so long as the weather is not too cold, and you are not trying to smoke the gassers... and are you going to run it to the bottom before recharging? It may be the way of the future, but the utility is still severely limited.
LMFAO. I drove a Leaf, with a whopping 84 mile range for 3 years as my only car and made it just fine all the way around one of the biggest metro areas in North America. I think he’ll be alright Allstar.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito

LMFAO. I drove a Leaf, with a whopping 84 mile range for 3 years as my only car and made it just fine all the way around one of the biggest metro areas in North America. I think he’ll be alright Allstar.
omg that sounds terrible
Old 03-16-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

LOL do you have anything useful to add or a way to critique my post, "allstar?" Some people live in the city and can make do with 84 miles of range. Many of us cannot. The point is, the 310 is a best case scenario.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
I dont think so. The Model Y is $4-5k more expensive.
Is it though considering they're still not selling the 3 at base msrp. And you get alot with it, but point taken.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Is it though considering they're still not selling the 3 at base msrp. And you get alot with it, but point taken.
They are selling the 3 @ base MSRP right now. It can be ordered now with a 6-8 week delivery target. The Y won't start production for another year.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
LOL do you have anything useful to add or a way to critique my post, "allstar?" Some people live in the city and can make do with 84 miles of range. Many of us cannot. The point is, the 310 is a best case scenario.
Do you honestly drive 310 miles a day, how about 250? Most people do not. They are running maybe 70-80 miles a day. If you live in the sticks, it doesn't mean most people do.

Do you have any experience driving an electric car, living with it, charging it? Most of this bs I read is range anxiety. There are chargers in the wild. You pull in, top off for what you need to get back home, and charge it overnight. Like I said, he'll be just fine. The reality is if these cars had 400 mile range, people will still whine and cry about it. 310 mile range is more than my gas car in my garage. And saying winter use. In the winter, in a gas car, you are running the heater, heated seats, maybe you're windows are fogged up so you have to use the defroster which pushes heat and uses A/C. All of that stuff robs MPG. That doesn't include winter gas blends which get lower MPG. So it's the same for an electric car as it is the ICE.

People have an argument for road tripping but even that is quickly going away with superchargers along major interstates. The argument is silly. With my car, sure, 84 miles isn't going to cut it for many. 310? Please.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you honestly drive 310 miles a day, how about 250? Most people do not. They are running maybe 70-80 miles a day. If you live in the sticks, it doesn't mean most people do.

Do you have any experience driving an electric car, living with it, charging it? Most of this bs I read is range anxiety. There are chargers in the wild. You pull in, top off for what you need to get back home, and charge it overnight. Like I said, he'll be just fine. The reality is if these cars had 400 mile range, people will still whine and cry about it. 310 mile range is more than my gas car in my garage. And saying winter use. In the winter, in a gas car, you are running the heater, heated seats, maybe you're windows are fogged up so you have to use the defroster which pushes heat and uses A/C. All of that stuff robs MPG. That doesn't include winter gas blends which get lower MPG. So it's the same for an electric car as it is the ICE.

People have an argument for road tripping but even that is quickly going away with superchargers along major interstates. The argument is silly. With my car, sure, 84 miles isn't going to cut it for many. 310? Please.
Until charging is as quick as filling gasoline electric cars will be annoying to own. It can be done now absolutely but still a nuisance.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. I don't understand the mileage anxiety either.

My past two daily drivers haven't had more than a 250 mile range and that lasts most people about a week. There are tons of places that offer free charging as well. A friend of mine just got a Model 3 for $45k and there really aren't many new cars that can compete with it at that price.

A 15 min charge will get you to where you need to go if you find yourself running low. If that's a major inconvenience, maybe try charging it at home like a normal person who knows they need to drive the next day.

Quick Reply: The $36k Model 3, two week wait.