Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The $65k BMW Z4...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
When you say it like that, I would just opt for a C7.
I guess though you are talking about a new supra or a used c7 though for the same price, so it's more about if you want new or used or if you care about it. One thing is for sure, no longer can you assert that the Toyota is without a doubt the more reliable pick over the chevy considering it's almost all BMW.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
One thing is for sure, no longer can you assert that the Toyota is without a doubt the more reliable pick over the chevy considering it's almost all BMW.
Maybe the industry sees something in BMW's engines? Jaguar is going with BMW based engine in their V8's. I wasn't a fan the V8 BMW in my Range Rover... Never left me stranded, but it warmed up too quick my feeling of confidence.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Maybe the industry sees something in BMW's engines? Jaguar is going with BMW based engine in their V8's. I wasn't a fan the V8 BMW in my Range Rover... Never left me stranded, but it warmed up too quick my feeling of confidence.
Most everyone else has been doing turbo 4's & 6's for a few years now, could be Toyota simply didn't want to invest the money into a new engine. Dunno. I'm not up to date with Toyota/Lexus, but I thought they were still pretty much all N/A motors.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I think there's a lot of variables involved because most enthusiasts answer to any engine swap these days is LS or bust. But I think it has a lot to do with proximity to the manufacturers, driving experience and dynamics,and emissions. The engines are relatively small displacement wise at 3.0L considering its power output and produces a torquey, linear power band with a "refined" feel. While an I6 is long, it is otherwise an easier package to deal with. It's also BMW's mass produced engine. Looking around the market that fits those parameters, there really isn't much out there.

I really, really, want to like this car, and this engine for that matter. But having known enough BMW I6 turbo owners, there's enough, hmm, expensive developments that seem to be more pervasive with BMWs than most other cars.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe Toyota was super-stuck on the idea of another I6?
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Lotus has over 400 hp from the Toyota 3.2 V6 with a supercharger with good gas mileage. The power is available with current Toyota line-up.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I've only had one GM but it was good (Silverado), overall.

I love the Guilia but I wouldn't touch the car with a ten foot pole without a huge warranty to back it up. I just don't trust them.

I go for 4-5 year old cars, typically, to keep myself from taking a hit. If I do get a sports sedan, it will be my first and I know I'm not going to get away with losing money on it, so I'm doing what I can to minimize it.

My youngest son (3 years old) has, for some reason, taken a huge liking to the Charger and Challenger. Anything he thinks is fast, he calls a "motor car" (no idea where he got that from). Anyways, he sees a Charger and says, "Dad! Look, a motor car!" A Ferrari is a "Refarri" and a Mustang is a "Moustache". Anyways, I could actually see myself in a Charger, if I could get a 392 with the right options as the engines and transmission appear to be pretty bulletproof. The latest version (2015+?) has a much improved interior and the car just looks bad (good bad, not bad bad). It's pretty big and heavy, though, so I'd really have to fall in love with the rest of it. I prefer a lighter sedan, like the ATS, on a relatively new platform, as the handling really does shine through. The Charger is on the old E-Class platform, which is a good platform (lower-priced car on a higher-priced chassis = good bargain), but it's still pretty porky.

Anyways, I look a lot and rarely buy. I'm pretty heavily invested these days so I don't worry about buying unless a car just hits all the right buttons for me. I sometimes think I enjoy the chase more than the ownership....
I love it. My son asks if we're going to take the slow car, the fast car or the loud car. BMW, Hellcat or GT350R. LOL

Dude, do you remember when you gave me crap for getting the charger 6.4 SRT for my daily driver? I'm thrilled you're looking at one.I put 50k on my SRT with a lot of track time. It never even consumed oil. Check out the challenger hellcat with a manual, I love mine. It's now seen track time, it to did very well. I'm impressed.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I've only had one GM but it was good (Silverado), overall.

I could actually see myself in a Charger, if I could get a 392 with the right options as the engines and transmission appear to be pretty bulletproof. The latest version (2015+?) has a much improved interior and the car just looks bad (good bad, not bad bad). It's pretty big and heavy, though, so I'd really have to fall in love with the rest of it..

I read a recent article that the sales rate of these increased last year so I played with the configurator on one of the gussied up ones, I think it was scat pack or whatever is just short of the 392. Still had pretty much a ton of power and I think they way I loaded it with only what I wanted came to low forties. I don't really care for the car myself just for the size and weight and daily gas mileage, but for what cars cost these days, that was a really good deal. The Camaro SS can be had for similar though and with a stick.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I love it. My son asks if we're going to take the slow car, the fast car or the loud car. BMW, Hellcat or GT350R. LOL

Dude, do you remember when you gave me crap for getting the charger 6.4 SRT for my daily driver? I'm thrilled you're looking at one.I put 50k on my SRT with a lot of track time. It never even consumed oil. Check out the challenger hellcat with a manual, I love mine. It's now seen track time, it to did very well. I'm impressed.
Your son will have a hard time living up to the vehicular prowess of his dad.

Yes, I remember giving you a hard time about it. My boss has the GC SRT and it's pretty awesome and I rented a Charger a few months ago and found it pretty good, so it's at least on my radar. It is still quite heavy and it doesn't change direction like a lot of sports sedans BUT it does look and sound the part, it's plenty quick and they're relatively cheap to buy compared to cars of similar power/weight ratio. The newer interiors are miles better as well...

A Hellcat is over the top for me but I wouldn't turn it down if a great deal came up. They're relatively new and so they're more money than I want to spend. It's also not a car I'd want to hand over to my wife (or anyone else, for that matter).

I drive 5 miles to work (each way) so gas mileage isn't really a concern for me.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Your son will have a hard time living up to the vehicular prowess of his dad.

Yes, I remember giving you a hard time about it. My boss has the GC SRT and it's pretty awesome and I rented a Charger a few months ago and found it pretty good, so it's at least on my radar. It is still quite heavy and it doesn't change direction like a lot of sports sedans BUT it does look and sound the part, it's plenty quick and they're relatively cheap to buy compared to cars of similar power/weight ratio. The newer interiors are miles better as well...

A Hellcat is over the top for me but I wouldn't turn it down if a great deal came up. They're relatively new and so they're more money than I want to spend. It's also not a car I'd want to hand over to my wife (or anyone else, for that matter).

I drive 5 miles to work (each way) so gas mileage isn't really a concern for me.
While it doesn't turn like a light car, I pulled over 1.1 peak Gs in the hellcat on 275 summer tires. It will corner just not gracefully. One day you'll take back your words

I have a short drive too and gas is cheap, so I say live like you might die early.

Quick Reply: The $65k BMW Z4...