Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

The $65k BMW Z4...

 
Old 12-14-2018, 07:53 AM
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 985
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
I have only bought one BMW but driven several recent ones and have learned several things ....

They are more reliable than people give them credit for.

They are no longer the sportiest of cars that they pretend to be.

They are over priced and under-contented.

They ae best bought as certified lease returns if you like them.

Only the 240i and M2 currently appeal to me as new cars at the prices they ask.
Regarding reliability, it's no longer a "current BMW" but my '11 M3 has been good over the first 28 months and 15k miles. Other than replacing throttle actuators (known problem, fixed under emissions warranty) it's basically been flawless.

I have driven a 2017 320i, 328i, M4, M6 GC, M760i, and X5 M. Although their performance is impressive (as I suspect a lot of new cars are) they felt rather heavy and numb. And on the mainstream models, you need numerous options to match what's standard on even cars like an Accord. The fact that they have the gall to not only charge for Apple CarPlay, but now even charge a subscription fee for it afterward, says it all - pure money grab.
white98ls is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM
  #22  
 
vader1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ST Paul
Posts: 10,870
Liked 116 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by white98ls View Post

I have driven a 2017 320i, 328i, M4, M6 GC, M760i, and X5 M. Although their performance is impressive (as I suspect a lot of new cars are) they felt rather heavy and numb. And on the mainstream models, you need numerous options to match what's standard on even cars like an Accord. The fact that they have the gall to not only charge for Apple CarPlay, but now even charge a subscription fee for it afterward, says it all - pure money grab.
.

In the last couple years they have also cut the years of covered maintenance from four years to three and dropped the discount on euro delivery from seven percent to five just to make loyal customers happy.

I am amused by some recent tepid reviews of the X3, X2, and first drive of the new 3 series. Yeah it is kinda returning to its sports sedan roots with a touch of steering feel if you put it in sport mode, no manual, and still class lagging interior materials on the new model for an entry price on the staight six version of over fifty large with no options. It sounds like it makes the Alfa and new Genesis G70 even more attractive in the segment even before launch.

Munich, we have a problem.
vader1 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 AM
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 985
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
.

In the last couple years they have also cut the years of covered maintenance from four years to three and dropped the discount on euro delivery from seven percent to five just to make loyal customers happy.

I am amused by some recent tepid reviews of the X3, X2, and first drive of the new 3 series. Yeah it is kinda returning to its sports sedan roots with a touch of steering feel if you put it in sport mode, no manual, and still class lagging interior materials on the new model for an entry price on the staight six version of over fifty large with no options. It sounds like it makes the Alfa and new Genesis G70 even more attractive in the segment even before launch.

Munich, we have a problem.
I also think the interiors don't look/feel as luxurious as others in the class, and have a pretty busy and dated design. Cost cutting is definitely evident in new BMWs. When I got a '17 328i loaner, I couldn't help but notice that instead of the nice trunklid linkage + gas strut combo that my E90 has, they've gone to a much cheaper but space-sapping gooseneck hinge. I realize that even cars like the S-class have that now, but I couldn't help but notice the step backward. Even my dad's old '94 Accord had the fancy hinges.

I would absolutely consider the G70 and Giulia if I was shopping in the 3-series price range.
white98ls is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 AM
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 665
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post

Too big, too heavy
Wow, just looked up the outgoing z4 weight. I wouldn't expect it was that heavy. It a freakin roadster, wtf
award78 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 AM
  #25  
 
The Raptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 54,537
Liked 101 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by s2000Junky View Post
I'm assuming its north of 3000lb too, probably north of 3500.
3,285.

The Raptor is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 985
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by award78 View Post
Wow, just looked up the outgoing z4 weight. I wouldn't expect it was that heavy. It a freakin roadster, wtf
IIRC the last Z4 is heavier than the equivalent 3-series sedan. Open top + power hard top = weight. I think the 3/4-series with folding hardtop is like 440lbs more than the coupe.
white98ls is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:29 PM
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,261
Liked 63 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Raptor View Post
3,285 lbs.
If it truly is that light for a top-spec model, I take back my comment about weight. That would be very impressive, generally speaking, for a car of this nature.

I assumed it would be like the previous Z4, which was 3300 lbs in base trim but got heavier (3550 lbs) in top-level trim. I couldn't find any verified weights for the new model....
JonBoy is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:52 PM
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,492
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Hrmm that means the Supra will probably be mid to high 50's
CosmosMpower is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 PM
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,492
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
You can get a new C7 Grand Sport for $65K all day long. Used is even cheaper, of course.

A Camaro ZL1 convertible is a heck of a car. 650 hp, looks good, stupidly quick, eliminates the big rear blind spot when you have the top down, etc. It's a lot of machine and it's semi-usable, too, with rear seats.
Oh joy, 65K for a car built on a 5 year old chassis and a Chevrolet no less...pass
CosmosMpower is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,261
Liked 63 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Yes, because so many cars have shown themselves to perform better than a Vette or ZL1 for equal money....
JonBoy is offline  

Quick Reply: The $65k BMW Z4...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands