Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

01 NB Miata. No factory Roll hoops?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 NB Miata. No factory Roll hoops?

My friend just picked up an 01 NB MX-5 and I found it odd that the car doesn't come with any factory roll hoops or bars of any kind. Im sure the A-pillars are extra strong, but still. Anybody have any input on the safety of these cars?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Most of the rolled Miatas I've seen show a collapsed a-pillar.

I'm not saying Miatas aren't safe, just talking about the a-pillar.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to track any pre NC Miata you should get a roll bar. The windshield hoop is not structural in the NA/NB like the S2000.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
If you are going to track any pre NC Miata you should get a roll bar. The windshield hoop is not structural in the NA/NB like the S2000.
I do agree. He is looking into double diagonal HardDogs as we speak.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Can't generate enough speed or grip to roll, that's why no roll bars.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM

The accident stats of the Miata don't support the need for a roll bar. Yes, if you are going to track one, get one. However, most convertibles are rather stable thus roll overs are not common. Roll bars do require consideration with respect to the location of the passenger's head. It's possible Mazda felt there was not enough space under the roof to put a bar in the car. Also, remember that the Miata is a mid-80s design (at least the NB was) that was updated. By the 90s it seemed almost unthinkable to have a vert without roll bars hence BMW and others had pop up bars. Those were probably more psycological than practical with respect to safety. Still in the 80s people didn't seem to expect the bars. By the time Mazda replaced the aged chassis they added S2000 type "roll bars". Those are bars that are probably strong enough to support the weight of the car but are not up to racing needs. Of course even fixed roof cars get extra roll over protection when modified for track use.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM

You aren't required to pass a roll-over test if you're a convertible. That's why there aren't roll-hoops.

Rockville might be right about age of design, but it generally isn't a big concern. People who buy convertibles generally know the risk factors.

My 01NB does have a rollbar though.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM

as long as you don't roll it, its perfectly safe

as soon as i got a miata, this is what i am going to do

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-roll-bar.html
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by stockae92

The owner clearly doesn't care about safety... or didn't think about how a steel pipe next to his head and another next to his pelvis might affect safety in the event the car is hit. Consider something. The car is hit hard in say the rear corner. That pushes the poor little car around. Your body is inside the car. What pushes your body around? Well two of the things are the solid bat... er bar behind your head and the lead... er steel pipe next to your pelvis.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by stockae92' timestamp='1349465695' post='22061961

The owner clearly doesn't care about safety... or didn't think about how a steel pipe next to his head and another next to his pelvis might affect safety in the event the car is hit. Consider something. The car is hit hard in say the rear corner. That pushes the poor little car around. Your body is inside the car. What pushes your body around? Well two of the things are the solid bat... er bar behind your head and the lead... er steel pipe next to your pelvis.
The main reason a lot of Miata guys don't like rollbars is because if they get in an accident they might slam their head into the bar. With the 01-05 seats you have headrests (that are actually at head level) so it isn't a huge problem for those models. But for all of the other Miatas it's a pretty big issue.

Quick Reply: 01 NB Miata. No factory Roll hoops?