Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

From 06 ap2 to 07 335i

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have said get a cheap civic and keep the S. Or just get a cheap civic and save the left over money that the 335i would have cost u and maybe get a bike
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd rather drive a BMW than an Accord. The 3 Series actually has good reliability, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 AM

You can definitely find something else that fits your bill for less money but not one of the other cars mentioned comes close to offering what the 335 does. It's a solid and well built car that offers and engaging driving experience and has a real gem of a motor. You can easily pick up a used GTI or something else for at least $10K less than a 335 but you won't be getting as much car either. From the OP's comments regarding mpg...I would seriously suggest doing some actual research instead of what I'm assuming is just making shit up.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My M3 has been rock solid, no issues so far.

Just my opinion, but the 335 just struck me as a bit boring if considered as a sports car replacement....floaty suspension, no LSD, and uninteresting exhaust note. But the engine and overall package is really nice nonetheless.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58 AM

If you want move to luxury sedan, I'd would also look at G sedan or lexus IS. Just my two cents...
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58 AM

If you want move to luxury sedan, I'd would also look at G sedan or lexus IS. Just my two cents...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am on my 2nd 335 coupe and both have been fine. The noise you hear is from the fuel injectors. You should hear how loud they are with the cover off. It sounds like a diesel. These cars do have fuel system issues that can get pricey so try to find one that is CPO.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by derryck,Apr 8 2010, 11:25 AM
I have owned several BMWs...some of which I owned with tripled digits on the odometer and they have all been pretty rock solid.
Yeah, but what if the OP wants to drive more than 999 miles?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 AM

I currently own a 08 335 and really love the car. Its a very good dual purpose car. I can drive my kids to school and enjoy taking the back road home. That being said, it has been in the shop an awful lot. I'm on my 3rd HPFP; the radio stops working randomly; the wipers never seem to work correctly when I need them but function normally when trying to demo the issue to the dealer; there are places that are rusting (key hole, tabs in the trunk). I do not plan to keep the car past the warranty period as I'm not confident they have the HPFP issue resolved (after 3 replacements my car still fails to start on occasion and there are signs of momentary power loss) and I don't want to be responsible for that bill not to mention any other issues that may pop up. Even though it certainly isn't as reliable as my previous Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus cars it is a ton more fun to drive and live with every day. When I have to ride in any other brand they seem like simple appliances in comparison to my 335. I have never been a fan of leases but after living with this car I think it may be the way to go. This way I will know exactly what it will cost up front and wont have to worry about its unreliable nature or resale.

My advice, owning a BMW is not like owning a toaster, more like being married. There are things that will happen that make you want to go trade the damn thing in but after you cool off you probably will realize that you would not be happy with another car. Go into the relationship with you eyes wide open. There is a reason that BMW has the stigma of unreliability...they are not as reliable as the Japanese brands. As long as you go in understanding you bought a BMW and not a Lexus you'll be fine. They are a lot more fun to drive but will pay for that privilege. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 AM

BMW has released a new design high pressure fuel pump a bit over a month ago.. We will see if they stand the test of time.. All the old pumps were pulled off the shelves.

Also the turbochargers do go bad on these cars. Its just another issue to look forward to.

Quick Reply: From 06 ap2 to 07 335i