Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'10-'11 Cayman S

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '10-'11 Cayman S

I've owned my S2k for about 14 months and love it--I'm the first and only owner and have baby'd the heck out of it. I think I'd be happy w/ it for a long time, other than the fact that I've always been in love w/ Porsches, especially the Cayman S since it came out. My financial situation has changed since I purchased the S2K, and I'm finding myself already lusting after a new Cayman S, the problem is I feel a little guilty since I haven't had my S2k that long and it's not like I'm upset w/ it. I guess the idea of having the Porsche is starting to win me over, but I'm still not totally sold on diving into a car for that much money.

What do you all think of the newer gen Cayman S?
I've done a lot of research, and I think I would get the PDK trans., as unsacred as that is! The technology is winning me over I guess, plus I commute a ways so not having the clutch pedal pushed in constantly would be nice.

I guess the other good thing out of this is that there may be a lightly used and mint S2000 going on the market over the next few months looking for a good home!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Do you track your car? Drive it daily? Drive it only occasionally?

How many miles a year do you put on it?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 AM

I daily drive the S2K and would do the same w/ the Cayman S. I haven't tracked the S2K, but would like to get into that more w/ the Porsche (probably some track days w/ PCA, etc.)
I have 13k miles on the S2000 after 14 months
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is scheduled to have a new model as early as 2012. May worth the wait if buying new...

As far as manual vs PDK goes... I have a manual 987 Boxster S and a GTI w/ DSG. As good (and fast) as the DSG is, manual is much more fun. For a fun car, I recommend manual tranny and not worry too much about acceleration time or lap time. I only got DSG in the GTI out of necessity (long commute w/ traffic).

Good luck either way
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 AM

I made the switch (like several others here) a few years back.

I went from the S2k to an E46 M3. The M3 felt bloated compared to the S2K so I went with the Cayman S and it was perfect. The Cayman made me smile just seeing it parked there and it was a joy to drive.

In regards to the transmission, the previous M3 was an SMG model which is supposedly a much clunkier version of a DSG box. It was one of my favorite aspects of the car. Having a friend or significant other drive while you're tired is very convenient. I busted my left knee in a motorcycle accident and my girlfriend at the time had to drive me everywhere. I was glad I picked the SMG model.

If you have the means, I would definitely go for it. Do consider how often you go with the top down though. For me, opening the windows gives plenty of air.

By the time the new model comes out, you can trade up.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Former Moderator

Do it. You only live once and you have the means. The only reason I wouldn't is the pending new model. You could though do a business lease and then when it's up in 3 years get the new one.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Gasman,May 4 2010, 01:41 PM
You could though do a business lease and then when it's up in 3 years get the new one.
that's definitely what I plan on doing---I know I'll be ready for something different in a few years down the road anyway, whether it's a newer model Cayman or stepping up to a 911 turbo or something

Thanks for the advice so far! At this point I don't think it's a matter of if I make the change, but rather how soon. There may be another Cayman model in a year or more, but from what I've heard on planet-9.com it shouldn't be dramatically different.
The sort of unfortunate thing is that Porsche has cut down production on the Cayman S, so finding the right one is difficult, hence, I'll probably have to order one and then wait the agonizing 3-4 months to get it!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I wouldn't buy a new one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Hold onto your S2000 for another few months (maybe 'til the end of the year), then buy a barely used Cayman S for 80% of its original MSRP during the slow months of the year (ie, winter). It'll be less of a financial hit, you'll still have lots of warranty (especially if you buy a CPO car), and you can more easily trade it in on something else if you prefer.

Also, if you must have a new one, if you wait 'til the end of the year, they'll have leftover 2010s on the lot and will probably deal strongly on them. Last year they were giving about $7K-$10K off MSRP for "old" new cars.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel L,May 4 2010, 01:25 PM
I made the switch (like several others here) a few years back.

I went from the S2k to an E46 M3. The M3 felt bloated compared to the S2K so I went with the Cayman S and it was perfect. The Cayman made me smile just seeing it parked there and it was a joy to drive.

In regards to the transmission, the previous M3 was an SMG model which is supposedly a much clunkier version of a DSG box. It was one of my favorite aspects of the car. Having a friend or significant other drive while you're tired is very convenient. I busted my left knee in a motorcycle accident and my girlfriend at the time had to drive me everywhere. I was glad I picked the SMG model.

If you have the means, I would definitely go for it. Do consider how often you go with the top down though. For me, opening the windows gives plenty of air.

By the time the new model comes out, you can trade up.
Your ides on a DSG are exactly what I'm thinking! My wife is probably more excited about the idea of a PDK so she can actually drive it--so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing?!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,May 4 2010, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't buy a new one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Hold onto your S2000 for another few months (maybe 'til the end of the year), then buy a barely used Cayman S for 80% of its original MSRP during the slow months of the year (ie, winter). It'll be less of a financial hit, you'll still have lots of warranty (especially if you buy a CPO car), and you can more easily trade it in on something else if you prefer.

Also, if you must have a new one, if you wait 'til the end of the year, they'll have leftover 2010s on the lot and will probably deal strongly on them. Last year they were giving about $7K-$10K off MSRP for "old" new cars.

Based only on your avatar, post, and signature, you appear to be running without a hardtop. Allow me to add fuel to the Porsche fire:

Maybe it would ease the transition from a fairly new S...

Quick Reply: '10-'11 Cayman S