Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'10-'11 Cayman S

Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spyder is definitely nice, I've been sold on the Cayman S for years though. The S2000 has been my first vert, and surprisingly I rarely put the top down, so I don't think I'll miss that at all really

The comment about waiting for '10's to sit on the lot for a while sounds great, except that I don't think that'll really be possible since I can't find a '10 in the entire country right now that would fit my option list, plus they started building the '11's a month ago. Right now in the entire state of FL (13 Porsche dealerships!!) there are only 2 '10 Cayman S models in lots, and neither one would do it for me due to color and/or options
Unfortunately getting a GOOD deal will be tough I think due to supply and demand!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A co-worker bought a 2008 Cayman S design edition, to the tune of something like 80,000 all said and done. That car now trades for 41-45k, meaning you could probably fine one used (Most Porsche owners dont really drive the damn things anyways) for ~50k EASY

Why blow 30k into thin air? Leave that to the people with more money than brains.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM

I remember reading on here that they cut back Cayman production this year, I guess you're seeing the effects of that.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Black Knight,May 4 2010, 01:57 PM
The S2000 has been my first vert, and surprisingly I rarely put the top down, so I don't think I'll miss that at all really
Wow, really? Even here in Florida (and on the Gulf Coast at that)?

The only reason I currently own an S is because it's a convertible and at this point I haven't had my fill yet (heck, I don't know that we'll ever be without a drop-top option again).
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by [DT
,May 4 2010, 03:19 PM] Wow, really? Even here in Florida (and on the Gulf Coast at that)?

The only reason I currently own an S is because it's a convertible and at this point I haven't had my fill yet (heck, I don't know that we'll ever be without a drop-top option again).
Yep, I'm surprised as well, but I put it down maybe 1-2 times/month. I think it's because a lot of my driving consists of commuting to/from work, where I'm in pants/long sleeves and it's to hot out to put the top down
Sometimes I think I forget that it's even an option to drop the top
Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

My buddy got a cayman s recently and loves it.

Be careful about the pdk. I got egear and have driven pdk before. I thought it would be interesting. What I've found is that I miss 2 things. A drop top and a manual. Even though before I sold it I rarely put the top down in the s as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 PM

I've also thought a lot about jumping to a Cayman S.. and I'm torn on PDK. Fairly sure I would miss driving stick when there's no traffic, but most of my driving is stop/go, often uphill.... '09+ Cayman gets hill assist which hangs onto the brakes for a second while you engage the clutch. I haven't driven a car with this feature but I wonder if it would make an hour of stop/go uphill much more tolerable.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kremlin,May 4 2010, 04:52 PM
I've also thought a lot about jumping to a Cayman S.. and I'm torn on PDK. Fairly sure I would miss driving stick when there's no traffic, but most of my driving is stop/go, often uphill.... '09+ Cayman gets hill assist which hangs onto the brakes for a second while you engage the clutch. I haven't driven a car with this feature but I wonder if it would make an hour of stop/go uphill much more tolerable.
good point

I'm still leaning towards PDK because I've driven some other DSG type cars and didn't miss the clutch pedal that much--I had just as much fun for the most part. It'll never be the same, but it seems to be a good compromise now (tiptronic trannies were a joke compared)
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Get the Cayman! And get the 6sp manual. There's just something special about orchestrating the gear changes with your hand and foot together. It's more fun and you'll probably enjoy it more when you start doing track events. Also less parts to break.

Sucks about availability of the Cayman S's though...I'd like to pick up a 2-3 year old 2009+ model in a few years, Basalt Black Metallic with the sports option and nothing else. Might be hard to find that given the lack of vehicles being pumped out.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM

i have a cayman and personally, if i were to do it again, i would have opted for a 911. at the price i got my cayman for though, it would have been a 996 and the interior on a 996 is something i can't live with.

if you can get a new cayman, i'd say to find a late model 911s instead. imho.

Quick Reply: '10-'11 Cayman S