Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1999 jag xk8

Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I';m sure I have the plastic tensioners...and I,m taking a chance to not do them now that I know they can fail, but at 44,000 miles I have some time. The only issue I have is the trunk lights do not work...changed out the switch and bracket and such and it still not working....even the cigar lighter works. The coolant sometimes throws a light for a moment when I go around a sweeping corner at speed, I do not baby this car, but I do drive it slower than the other ones I have....and everything works slower anyway. It's a fun car to own , drive, and it's rewarding in that the ride is wonderful, smooth, controlled, and softer yet firm. The 290 hp is nice too....just passed smog for my dmv check and it aced the numbers....again having a new fresh powerful battery is key. This is a nice ride, lots of style and class and uniqueness...and it's not hard to work on or expensive so far, i brought it back from being dead for two years in a heated garage. I suppose I may keep it till summer, time to move onto another project.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have spare time, check for signs of water. I've seen on several occasions the drain tube getting clogged and water pooling up. Check passenger footwell for possible moisture (just press hard on the carpet to see if it's damp, no need to remove) and if nothing there then pull trunk liner. That may be the only circuit that's affected, for now, but this could be an underlying problem you may face in the future.

As for the coolant, you're going to need to replace the expansion tank to remedy that issue. It operates on a float sensor (if I'm not mistaken, mid 2000+ jaguar land rovers have this issue all the time) and it always gets stuck. Extremely easy to replace and cheap too. If you don't mind it popping on from time to time then I suggest keeping the coolant topped off. If your even slightly close to the minimum amount and your thermostat decides to open all the way it could empty the bottle and your sensor will be stuck down there with coolant low light on at all times and it takes some hammering of the bottle to free it up if you're lucky, if not a replacement is necessary.