Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2 liter Turbos?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by electricmarauder
Some do care about the environment.
And gas wont stay at $2 forever. The expense was not a huge deal to me, I could afford the gas. but when my Highlander was getting 21mpg in the winter and I was at the pump freezing my butt off every week in 10 degrees filling the car next to five other schmucks in their SUV's I just thought there has to be a better way. Now I fill maybe every two weeks and my tank is good to about 450 miles instead of half that. The fact I am paying maybe 30% less for fuel (when the extra cost of premium is figured in) over the Highlander it is just icing on the cake, and I was going to buy a new car anyway.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks to everybody for the perspective and sharing their experiences.

Right now I'm favoring an A4 Quattro with confidence.....BUT

The boss and I are both stick capable and like it in our sportscars, and have recently heard that the A4 may offer one.

Do these busy little 4 bangers need the 7/8 speed autos to be effective and economical? Would we be shifting like crazy around town?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

No because they're not really busy little 4 bangers. They make a lot of torque down low and have (generally speaking) very low redlines.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i had a 2013 bmw 335i m sport sedan with a manual....got allot of "rev hang" and more than one "limp mode", the computer was probably designed for an automatic...anyway it was smooth, powerful, and got me 24 mpg all day.....it was a 3.0 inline 6 cyl.
Now i have a 2016 M3, with manual...it has TWO turbos and an inline 6 cyl...no rev hang....lots more power on tap, not as smooth, and the noise is a subjective noise...some like it and some do not....but it also gets me 23 mpg all days long with more on trips, not up to same mpg as the 335 which was 32 plus, on highway so far i am looking at 27.....turbos are here to stay and with the right setup by bmw or volvo, or even vw you can enjoy 6 cyl power and torque with 4 cyl mpg...
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have this same engine as Elistan and it is a fantastic engine. It's successor was mentioned in this month's Ten Best issue. It will get a 3500 pound AWD car to 60 in 5.7 seconds, it never seems to be short on power (even though I have owned much faster cars) and my best mileage on a tank was 38.6 mpg. I get 30mpg pretty much most tanks in mixed driving when temps are above 50 degrees, but I drive it like a sane person. The successor was tested by someone recently (I forget the magazine) and delivered over 40mpg on a 75 mph cruise. My wife's Mazda 3 gets better mileage but at the cost of being slow by comparison. You can still get really good fuel economy without sacrificing performance.
I had a 320i and 328i recently as loaners, and was really impressed with especially the 328i, drivetrain-wise. I had a good amount of seat time in the previous-gen 328i with the N/A I-6 (ex-g/f's car), and as a die-hard N/A engine fan, I couldn't decide which one I liked better. The I-6 was so silky and satisfying in a sporty way, but the I-4 had superior mileage delivered serious grunt where the I-6 fell flat, which is a lot more usable for 98% of driving. I think ultimately I'd prefer a turbo-4 for DD use and an N/A engine with more cylinders for most fun/sports cars.
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Turbo 4s, in their role as replacements for 6s, are great in an appliance sort of way. They get the job done but sacrifice NVH and (in almost all cases) personality, all while underperforming in their fuel economy ratings. I've got no problem giving up a little oompf down low for the smooth linear acceleration of a 6. Would also prefer buying a CPO car with a 6 than a brand new one with a 4.
Well put. An N/A 6 still usually has enough grunt for daily use - worth sacrificing all-the-time power for refinement, response, and nice noises.
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Most people drive like grandmas and 240 hp in a 2L turbo 4 is more performance then they will ever need.
True. The 328i was way quicker than anyone really needs for normal driving (this coming from a V8 M3 owner). I really wonder about non-enthusiasts who pony up for the 335i (now 340i) for their daily commute.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
And gas wont stay at $2 forever. The expense was not a huge deal to me, I could afford the gas. but when my Highlander was getting 21mpg in the winter and I was at the pump freezing my butt off every week in 10 degrees filling the car next to five other schmucks in their SUV's I just thought there has to be a better way. Now I fill maybe every two weeks and my tank is good to about 450 miles instead of half that. The fact I am paying maybe 30% less for fuel (when the extra cost of premium is figured in) over the Highlander it is just icing on the cake, and I was going to buy a new car anyway.
oil futures are the decline out until 2018, there is an oil glut and demand is declining due to EVs and raising MPG.

cheap fuel is the new norm. It only spiked due to OPEC games which drove discovery/dev on shale oil which place us with the largest untapped oil reserves in the world.

you will see spot oil flux but oil is stabilizing. Enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Agreed. Baring something incredibly drastic (major world conflict, etc) cheap oil (and thus gasoline) is going to be around for a long time. Anyone else see the huge new oil deposit found in Texas recently? Biggest find ever in the continental US.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Just for closure

Found the A4 too “soft” for our taste

Came across a ‘15 335ix stick CPO and love it

Got the classic in line 6 AND turbos

Old 08-30-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Drill baby drill! Crank up the boost on your turbo 4 and let it rip. At 4500 lbs, I want a V8+.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
so this is a result of Obamas' executive order which will kick in when fuel price are low. Perfect

Does anyone know about the longevity of these energetic little devils?

Not comfortable putting these hamster wheels in anything bigger than an A4, if that.

I'm also thinking that we'll have low fuel prices for a while and that used larger displacement rides will gain in value
Check out oil prices now...from $60/barrel to $80/barrel in one year.

Last edited by Bamafan; 10-19-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 liter Turbos?