Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2004-2007 CTS-V

Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004-2007 CTS-V

This fits the bill as my next vehicle. What do you guys know about it so I can have as much information as possible? I know the BASICS. Corvette engine, Brembo brakes. And apparently a pretty well tuned suspension. What else though?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Um.. It's ugly and the interior was designed by Fisher Price.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Other than your normal Cadillac electrical bs my friend seems to enjoy his.. smokes my s like I'm standing still. Why not get a newer one with the zr1 motors in it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The rear diffs are known to be fragile even at stock power levels. As long as you don't intend to drag race the car it should be ok though..
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by asrautox
The rear diffs are known to be fragile even at stock power levels. As long as you don't intend to drag race the car it should be ok though..
This ruined the car for me. But I didn't know that it's ok for daily driving.
Also, I thought only the early models were affected by this? Not sure thoug.

OP, I know it's a different beast but have you looked into the gto or the g8 gt?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Expect things to break. I had nothing but trouble with mine. If you can look past things falling apart and do not have high standards it isn't a terrible car especially for the price.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM

The diff issue I read was supposedly fixed in 2006, so I'd look at 06+.

As far as the newer ones, I would definitely get it if funding seemed possible. But when I get a new vehicle, I dont think I will be able to stretch much past 25k. I will NEED 4 doors and a "classy" look due to my job. But, if possible, I want something that is still fun.

I'm open to other ideas as well. I was looking at BMW Ms, but at that price, it seems like I'm walking into a nightmare.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Well, if a weak rear diff is an issue you obviously don't own an S2000. And electrics are not a traditional weak point in Cadillacs. BMW and Mercedes, yes. Cadillac, not so much.

But why not buy a Corvette? I hear they have Cadillac motors in them these days.

If you need the extra doors and rear seat, I don't know why you'd be drag racing it so it's probably the best option in it's class. Everything else that can compete performance-wise is going to be far more expensive to maintain. Cadillac consistently scores high in magazine reliability if that matters to you.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Well, if a weak rear diff is an issue you obviously don't own an S2000. And electrics are not a traditional weak point in Cadillacs. BMW and Mercedes, yes. Cadillac, not so much.

But why not buy a Corvette? I hear they have Cadillac motors in them these days.

If you need the extra doors and rear seat, I don't know why you'd be drag racing it so it's probably the best option in it's class. Everything else that can compete performance-wise is going to be far more expensive to maintain. Cadillac consistently scores high in magazine reliability if that matters to you.
I won't be drag racing it. I don't think I said I would be. And the differential issue, from what I hear, even still occurs if you just drive it. Therefore 2006+. And like I said, no Vette cuz I will be needing rear seats by that time.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 AM

They age badly. I went and looked at buying one. The seats, buttons, trim finish etc all seem to have been worn quickly. My old 00 S2k which had lived a rough life and had 100K on it looked newer. Also, lot of vibrations and stereo sounded horrible (bose blows). So, I would look at newer or just get a C5 Z08.

Quick Reply: 2004-2007 CTS-V