Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2004 BMW Z4. What do you know?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 2004 BMW Z4. What do you know?

What do you know about the 2004 BMW Z4 3.0? A friend of mine's dad has one he will sell me for $3000. I haven't seen it in person yet, just a picture. He says the top doesn't work and there may be a few other issues. The mileage is said to be under 100k. All this info is coming second hand through a non car person so it take it for what its worth. I'm going to look at it and drive it in the next couple of days so I'll report back. I'm thinking if my other friend, who mostly just daydreams and kicks tires, doesn't want it, I may buy it to flip. Maybe list on BAT if it looks like its worth it. The guy who has it is a wheeler dealer, horse trader type so who knows why he has it.

I just wanted to get some insight on common problems, experiences with these cars or advice on whether these even remotely looks like a good idea. I know you'll need more info and I'll update the thread as more comes to light.

Thanks

Jon
Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a decent example is about 9k. This could be a great deal but probably too good to be true. I'd look up replacement cost for a top. Could be expensive. It's labor intensive if you're not doing the work. Maybe try to drive one near you so you have an idea what a good one feels like. Definitely get an inspection.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've always compared the Z4 to the S2k, so it would be an interesting perspective if you got both. I've had 2 BMW's in the past, and both drove really well and were fairly reliable (both had cooling issues E36). The Z4 should be a tad quicker but I suspect the S2k will still be more fun. Keep us updated.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Is it an auto? Just curious.

I'm not intimately familiar, but I believe the Z4 is reasonably reliable - no S2k, but I don't think it has any major problems beyond what you'd expect of a normal 3-series.

I've driven a 3.0si coupe (255hp) at the Nurburgring and test drove a Z4 M Roadster. Nice handling cars with good engines. Friend and I upgraded from a GT86 to the Z4 on our 2nd day at the 'Ring and liked it more - a little softer than the GT86, but far better grunt and pretty friendly handling overall. It's not as sharp as an S2k but would make for a nice weekend car for cruising and twisty roads. $3,800 seems like a good deal as long as it doesn't have any major mechanical failures beyond what you've already noted. I've even toyed with getting one myself since they are getting cheap.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I drove a manual one a few time several years ago and thought is was nice classy roadster. Everything more upscale than the S2000 and if you can get it to where you'd be proud to drive sounds like a nice diamond in the rough.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I just found out it is an automatic. I didn't realize it but apparently a lot of the Z4s are automatic. My friend is ok with it and is still interested for himself. We are going to check it out this weekend. Its about 30-40mins away and the owner is working late most evenings. I'll report back after we check it out.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I just found out it is an automatic. I didn't realize it but apparently a lot of the Z4s are automatic. My friend is ok with it and is still interested for himself. We are going to check it out this weekend. Its about 30-40mins away and the owner is working late most evenings. I'll report back after we check it out.
This car is fine an automatic. The manual is typical BMW with longer rubbery shifting. You're forever spoiled if you owned an S2000. Only a handful cars can come close to the precision.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This car is fine an automatic. The manual is typical BMW with longer rubbery shifting. You're forever spoiled if you owned an S2000. Only a handful cars can come close to the precision.
Truth, although in my experience BMW shifters can be made decent (still not even approaching S2k, but decent) with either OEM or aftermarket parts. I threw ~$300 worth of OEM shifter and weighted knob + aftermarket selector rod at my E39 M5, and that made it feel better than average - reasonably short and direct. On my E90 M3 just swapping a weighted OEM knob brought it to almost that same level. I'm a die-hard manual guy so would have to go for a manual in a Z4, but depending on what you're using it for, an auto may be fine for a Z4 3.0i.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

cooling systems are weak. 3.0 isn't bad though. autos and manuals leave a lot to be desired, as above stated.

stock headers on those cars are very restrictive.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting! I just got a crazy deal on 2004 Z4, 3.0, 75K mileage, auto from an old lady that just had it sitting in storage

The car softtop wasn't working - estimated 2K for replacement, but it can be put up and down manually and is not that hard.

It had a small oil leak, needed battery, and she has apparently had replaced radiator a few times at dealer along with other parts of cooling system so that fact is indeed true.

It's a fun little car, but I ended up flipping it in a week. Sold as-is. If I put in the work, I probably could of made an extra 2-4k, but didn't have the time. To me, it doesn't compare at all to S and I'm over the allure of what I thought they were initially.

Quick Reply: 2004 BMW Z4. What do you know?