Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2006 M3

Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd chose the 550. New added power is great and I like the styling. The car really looks sharp in person. The E36 is looking a little dated, but still a very nice looking car. I wouldn't go to BMW of San Diego unless you talk to the fleet manager. They tend to play hard ball and it took me two hours to knock out a deal. Not fun at all. I now use www.fleetrates.com Call the Florida number and ask for DJ. He lives in FL now, but he use to work in LA up to a few months ago. I'm sure he can give you a great deal w/o all the dealer BS. They deliver for free for the most part, but ask in advance. Tell him Sam sent you. If you don't want such a driver, but better quaity, you can wait for the GS 460. I'm pretty sure it will be a mid to low 13 second car.

Sam
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jul 21 2006, 07:01 AM
my 2005 cab. stickered for 68K (it has the factory hardtop)....i bought it for 50K.

That's a good price, but is it because it's last year's model (since you just bought it this year)?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM

not a fan of M3 convertibles, just too heavy.
no go for the M roadster?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Jul 21 2006, 12:52 PM
I forgot about the Cab

Originally Posted by s2k08
Oh btw... look around for one with a XCP option (Competition package)
Just an FYI: it is call the ZCP on the E46 M3
ya i can't type... nice catch though

I swear sometimes I'm losing my mind...

oh ya is it an SMG?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by s2k08,Jul 21 2006, 07:18 PM
Just an FYI: it is call the ZCP on the E46 M3

oh ya is it an SMG? [/QUOTE]
I really don't know much about SMG, can someone tell me more about it? Can I use in full automatic mode or have to shift it like manual without the clutch?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hpark,Jul 21 2006, 01:57 PM
not a fan of M3 convertibles, just too heavy.
no go for the M roadster?
The M3 convertible is a porker. Compared with the coupe you can really notice the additional weight and the relative lack of stiffness. The motor feels great but the convertible is not the best platform. As a sportscar, the M3 convertible lacks the nimbleness and edge of the S2000. It's a good choice if you're looking for an open top GT and willing to compromise on handling agility.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by S2000bobster,Jul 21 2006, 11:22 PM

oh ya is it an SMG?
I really don't know much about SMG, can someone tell me more about it? Can I use in full automatic mode or have to shift it like manual without the clutch? [/QUOTE]
All I know about SMGs is that you shouldn't get one. All the auto journalists gave it a

Unless you have a long daily commute that involves lots of stop & go, stick with the manual.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's wrong with SMG? I think it is pretty cool. And to try to answer the previous question about what it is....

SMG = Sequential Manual Gearbox

It takes away your manual pressing of a clutch pedal, but still retains all the functionality and feel of a manual transmission. You shift with either the paddle shifters on the steering wheel or a SMG stick where your normal shifter would be. You can also control how fast/hard the car shifts gears, and yes there is a fully automatic mode - it will still be jerky in first gear if you don't step on the gas quick enough, but if you like manual transmissions and are tired of pushing a clutch pedal, SMG is for you. The SMG gearbox can also shift a lot faster than you can.

I was talking to a Porsche race mechanic yesterday who was telling me about the GT3 series totally being changed due to the sequential gearboxes. He said it has been the most interesting race series yet - in his opinion.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Jul 22 2006, 06:10 AM
What's wrong with SMG? I think it is pretty cool. And to try to answer the previous question about what it is....

SMG = Sequential Manual Gearbox

It takes away your manual pressing of a clutch pedal, but still retains all the functionality and feel of a manual transmission. You shift with either the paddle shifters on the steering wheel or a SMG stick where your normal shifter would be. You can also control how fast/hard the car shifts gears, and yes there is a fully automatic mode - it will still be jerky in first gear if you don't step on the gas quick enough, but if you like manual transmissions and are tired of pushing a clutch pedal, SMG is for you. The SMG gearbox can also shift a lot faster than you can.

I was talking to a Porsche race mechanic yesterday who was telling me about the GT3 series totally being changed due to the sequential gearboxes. He said it has been the most interesting race series yet - in his opinion.
There's nothing "wrong" with it. I just haven't read good things about it (on BMWs).

Maybe I'm too old school but I prefer to row my own gears. Yes, the SMG shifts faster, but to me, it takes away the pleasure of driving a sports car.

Just a personal opinion.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should try it before you "buy in" to everything you read. Unfortunately, you have to give a good long try to really get a feel for it, and maybe that is where most writers are missing the boat a little.

I respect your opinion - I'm the same way actually. I prefer a clutch, but I know one day I won't and it is nice to have that SMG option

Quick Reply: 2006 M3