Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2011 Scion tC Sneak Peek

Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Can't get a real good feel on how the new one is gonna be, but based on the pics leaked, looks like it shares a lot more parts with the usually toyota stuff. Those ac controls are from the Rav4, and to be perfectly honest if it is those controls, they suck in regards to quality. No, I'm serious. Go sit in a rav4 and play with those knobs, the plastic is cheap, the feel when it clicks into the settings feels cheap, and I'm not talking cheap in comparison to honda or nissan, I mean cheap i general. The cruise control stalk is the same one they've been using for over a decade (not that there's anything wrong with that at all).
Anyway, my gf wanted the tc until she drove the civic, the quality is much better in teh civic although I prefer the styling of the scion since it's more traditional, but the quality is def better in the civic.
The tC is good, but the center console was really lacking though, the radio cover felt cheap, the ac controls for the buttons felt like cheap ABS plastic, etc etc.
Still a solid buy and a great price especially considering the EX civic msrps for thousands more... before you haggle anyway which you can't with the tC, and I've priced an EX for just a little more than a tC.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Mar 25 2010, 12:33 PM
Can't get a real good feel on how the new one is gonna be, but based on the pics leaked, looks like it shares a lot more parts with the usually toyota stuff. Those ac controls are from the Rav4, and to be perfectly honest if it is those controls, they suck in regards to quality. No, I'm serious. Go sit in a rav4 and play with those knobs, the plastic is cheap, the feel when it clicks into the settings feels cheap, and I'm not talking cheap in comparison to honda or nissan, I mean cheap i general. The cruise control stalk is the same one they've been using for over a decade (not that there's anything wrong with that at all).
Anyway, my gf wanted the tc until she drove the civic, the quality is much better in teh civic although I prefer the styling of the scion since it's more traditional, but the quality is def better in the civic.
The tC is good, but the center console was really lacking though, the radio cover felt cheap, the ac controls for the buttons felt like cheap ABS plastic, etc etc.
Still a solid buy and a great price especially considering the EX civic msrps for thousands more... before you haggle anyway which you can't with the tC, and I've priced an EX for just a little more than a tC.
don't forget they use the same exact controls on the xB, xD, Corolla, Yaris, hhm... what else matrix...

the styling and the drive is what will sell the car. its sportier and livelier than the last gen tC. we were socal testing a pre-production (especially interior) model last month against the 1st gen and i came away very impressed. if they keep the current pricing of under $18-$19k it will sell very well.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota sure does know how to make an ugly looking cheap radio. Other than small aspects of the AC system (Which Toyota always seems to want to make over-sized, like one of those giant TV remotes), this center console needs to be sent back to the '90s.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ted H,Mar 25 2010, 02:11 PM
Toyota sure does know how to make an ugly looking cheap radio. Other than small aspects of the AC system (Which Toyota always seems to want to make over-sized, like one of those giant TV remotes), this center console needs to be sent back to the '90s.
the center dash pic is the 1st gen tC that you speak of... also that's a pioneer deck.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM

aww the pictures dont work for me
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 25 2010, 02:26 PM
the center dash pic is the 1st gen tC that you speak of... also that's a pioneer deck.
ahaha, yeah i have that deck in my tC. its nice.
honestly. for what the car does..get me from point A to point B, it does it pretty well. i dont mind the car at all!
although a drop is needed. and the antenna needs to be changed to the s2k one, its a great little car. I made the mistake of buying the stupid Anzo headlights earlier.

my only complaint is my gas mileage and the FWD torque steer, but i do have a heavy foot :]

would i buy another tC? yes, but this time in manual. the auto sucks (it was a hand-me-down from my brother)
im excited to see what this model has.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by datdude1119,Mar 25 2010, 02:33 PM
aww the pictures dont work for me
my original pictures were brought down, but there are other pictures people managed to save online.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 25 2010, 04:26 PM
I mean, I realize it was sourced through Pioneer, but someone had to design/choose to put it in that car.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 25 2010, 01:16 PM
don't forget they use the same exact controls on the xB, xD, Corolla, Yaris, hhm... what else matrix...

the styling and the drive is what will sell the car. its sportier and livelier than the last gen tC. we were socal testing a pre-production (especially interior) model last month against the 1st gen and i came away very impressed. if they keep the current pricing of under $18-$19k it will sell very well.
Didn't take a good look at the corolla, yes it is in the yaris, dont know about the other scions, and yes, equally as bad, dunno if that's something to be proud of...
The tc I thought drove rather well, very smooth in every way you can think of, sporty? Yeah, I mean it does have a decent amount of torque.
I agree, they will sell a decent amount of these cars that's for sure, the last tc as far as I can tell was a success.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Mar 25 2010, 03:42 PM
Didn't take a good look at the corolla, yes it is in the yaris, dont know about the other scions, and yes, equally as bad, dunno if that's something to be proud of...
The tc I thought drove rather well, very smooth in every way you can think of, sporty? Yeah, I mean it does have a decent amount of torque.
I agree, they will sell a decent amount of these cars that's for sure, the last tc as far as I can tell was a success.
sporty compared to a corolla or matrix. when i drove it back in 2004 and again last month i thought it was fairly neutral at 7/10th spirited driving. when the car does lose grip its a light understeer that can be easily corrected. never experienced torque steer in the 2010 we drove for comparisons as the one poster mentioned.

Quick Reply: 2011 Scion tC Sneak Peek