Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2011 Scion tC Sneak Peek

Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually like the exterior styling quite a bit. The interior though is kinda ugly and cheap... which pretty much is synonymous with Toyota cars nowadays. Crazy how Toyota and GM/Ford have reversed roles.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Apr 1 2010, 07:42 AM
I actually like the exterior styling quite a bit. The interior though is kinda ugly and cheap... which pretty much is synonymous with Toyota cars nowadays. Crazy how Toyota and GM/Ford have reversed roles.
The interior on the current TC is certainly made from cheaper materials but they really did a great job hiding it. Everything is stylized and looks pretty decent.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Apr 1 2010, 08:34 PM
The interior on the current TC is certainly made from cheaper materials but they really did a great job hiding it. Everything is stylized and looks pretty decent.
I totally agree.
The Japanese makes do a much better job hiding the less than stellar materials than the domestics, namely in their styling, texture, and color choice.
Still a good interior though all around, I love how the needles sweep over when you start up the car.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Apr 1 2010, 07:11 AM
I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but I am starting to see why you've been accused of being a Toyota fanboy in other threads. I mostly agreed with you in the LFA threads, but dude, this is getting a little nuts. LOL.

First of all, of course my Civic's weight is a contributing factor. But that's ALL it has going for it. It has worn out everything (suspension wise), dampers that need to be replaced, shitty low end tires, etc. In spite of all of that, it maneuvers better than the TC. The TC has higher limits but it feels much more like steering a minivan.

I have driven plenty of cars heavier than the TC that don't feel as numb.

Also, I think that you are certainly right that the TC is sportier than a Corolla, but that's like saying that Rosie O'donnell is hotter than Michael Moore. Or like saying that getting AIDS is totally fun, you know, compared to leprosy. They both are on the wrong end of the spectrum.

A Honda Odyssey is sportier than a conversion van, but neither is sporty in any sense of the word.

Someone else mentioned the EP3 Si. I think that is a perfect comparison. They are both heavy, not very aggressive in the suspension department, and fairly underpowered. However, the EP3 is way more fun to drive.

I love my TC. Mrs. E.G. drives it and it is a good car. It is comfortable, incredibly cheap to own, it looks much higher end than it is, has a decent stereo, gets pretty good gas mileage, and isn't balls slow, but it is certainly not sporty by any stretch of the imagination.

My only real gripe with the car is that I feel like I can't see shit out of it. I am always running over curbs and stuff and I have never once done that in any other car. That's probably not entirely the car's fault.
its a forum right? you and i are entitled to our opinion.

again if your dampers are shot that will give an elusion of sportier drive. but seriously i wouldn't compare a decade old car and that's why i asked what doneffect was comparing it to. the 04 civic si was a good comparison and even told him we tested it back in 04 against the tC.

also how can car testers say things like "The 2005 Scion tC does not drive like a typical Toyota — it feels extremely nimble and tight, and the harder you push it, the more it hunkers down and grabs the road. insideline" but some of the people in this forum say it drives like a boat?

the 2nd gen tC will surprise a lot of people and hopefully the data we gave during our test in socal will be put to good use.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the visual heft of the C-pillar kills it, especially in relation to the stubby hood.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Apr 3 2010, 10:24 AM
its a forum right? you and i are entitled to our opinion.

again if your dampers are shot that will give an elusion of sportier drive. but seriously i wouldn't compare a decade old car and that's why i asked what doneffect was comparing it to. the 04 civic si was a good comparison and even told him we tested it back in 04 against the tC.

also how can car testers say things like "The 2005 Scion tC does not drive like a typical Toyota — it feels extremely nimble and tight, and the harder you push it, the more it hunkers down and grabs the road. insideline" but some of the people in this forum say it drives like a boat?

the 2nd gen tC will surprise a lot of people and hopefully the data we gave during our test in socal will be put to good use.
That's great that some magazine says that but I completely disagree. Like I said, the limits are relatively high (for instance, I can push the TC harder in a turn that I can a Corolla) but it feels incredibly numb compared to anything that is even remotely sporty.

I wasn't comparing it to my old pieceof shit Civic because I think they are somehow competitive vehicles, I merely mentioned that as an example of how unsporty the TC is. Again, I really like my TC but it feels closer to driving a minivan than a sports car.

When I went to Las Vegas for vacation (Las Vegas sucks balls by the way) I got a Hyundai Accent rental car and the TC was a Lamborghini by comparison, but try putting it up against an RSX and it fails in my opinion.

Lastly, yes we are entitled to our opinions. I've never said anything to the contrary to the best of my knowledge. Sorry if it came across that way.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Apr 3 2010, 12:44 PM
Lastly, yes we are entitled to our opinions. I've never said anything to the contrary to the best of my knowledge. Sorry if it came across that way.
no worries! it was because of what you wrote and like i said it is a forum.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but I am starting to see why you've been accused of being a Toyota fanboy in other threads. I mostly agreed with you in the LFA threads, but dude, this is getting a little nuts. LOL.
i can't wait for your opinion when you drive the 2nd gen tC because even at 80% trim it was extremely rewarding to drive.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rich337,Apr 3 2010, 11:54 AM
the visual heft of the C-pillar kills it, especially in relation to the stubby hood.
i wasn't a big fan of the fuse design concept cause it looked heavy but the production from looks better to me.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Apr 4 2010, 12:50 PM
no worries! it was because of what you wrote and like i said it is a forum.

i can't wait for your opinion when you drive the 2nd gen tC because even at 80% trim it was extremely rewarding to drive.
I probably could have worded that be a bit more playful and less scathing. Sorry about that.

I mostly was referring to the way that you were defending the car, not so much the opinion itself. I don't think that your opinion in any way reeked of fanboyism but you seemed to be defending the car with religious fervor.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Oh I hope no one got me wrong, the tC does drive better than say a corolla, but still not as sporting as I would like (again drawing parallels to the Si I mentioned earlier), so while it's better, you have to consider that you're comparing it to vanilla to begin with. To be honest though, its driving characteristics are perfect for their intended audience, it is sporting without being too intrusive which is perfectly fine.
Great value considering they're the same price as an LX civic.
I'm sure the next gen will be better, problem is though toyota has no engines in their lineup that gets me all hot and bothered, like the 5.0L coming from ford or the K20 from Honda to name a couple. The 2ZZ imo was a good engine, but the K20 is superior. The I4 in it now definitely shows its camry lineage which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

Quick Reply: 2011 Scion tC Sneak Peek