Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2014 Corvette C7 spy shots

Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping they would change the rear end. I'm not fond the 4 tail lights.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1348174922' post='22026740
[quote name='dombey' timestamp='1348156950' post='22025895']
The c7 is about the only car that might keep me from buying a Porsche next. but in order for that to happen, the interior needs to be first class, refinement needs to high and the performance has to be brutal. They either need a very slick manual or a dct as well.

If by porsche you mean 911, you expect chevy to give you all the performance at a significantly lower price point (especially when you consider an optioned up 911) to deliver all the refinement and luxury?
Never said it needed to be at a lower price point. All I want Chevy to do is make the nice stuff available to those who want it. I'm fine if they offer a pos interior as standard, but offer a super nice upgrade for a price.
[/quote]

#1, All you can afford is the "POS" interior.

#2, You can always pay a company to cover the interior with leather a la Porsche. But it will cost you Porsche money. Why you think you should get Porsche interior for less than Porsche money will always fascintate and disgust me.

#3 People talk alot, especially those who cannot afford a Corvette, but come up with reasons why they wouldn't buy one, politely ignoring the fact they can't afford it.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by S2k007
I was hoping they would change the rear end. I'm not fond the 4 tail lights.

I don't think GM would ever get rid of the 4 tail lights. They've been on the car since at least the early 60's.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

personally dont think the camaro style lights belong on the corvette - but I think someone mentioned that the concept had them.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by dombey' timestamp='1348183485' post='22027044
[quote name='TheDonEffect' timestamp='1348174922' post='22026740']
[quote name='dombey' timestamp='1348156950' post='22025895']
The c7 is about the only car that might keep me from buying a Porsche next. but in order for that to happen, the interior needs to be first class, refinement needs to high and the performance has to be brutal. They either need a very slick manual or a dct as well.

If by porsche you mean 911, you expect chevy to give you all the performance at a significantly lower price point (especially when you consider an optioned up 911) to deliver all the refinement and luxury?
Never said it needed to be at a lower price point. All I want Chevy to do is make the nice stuff available to those who want it. I'm fine if they offer a pos interior as standard, but offer a super nice upgrade for a price.
[/quote]

#1, All you can afford is the "POS" interior.

#2, You can always pay a company to cover the interior with leather a la Porsche. But it will cost you Porsche money. Why you think you should get Porsche interior for less than Porsche money will always fascintate and disgust me.

#3 People talk alot, especially those who cannot afford a Corvette, but come up with reasons why they wouldn't buy one, politely ignoring the fact they can't afford it.
[/quote]

Lmao. You are such a nice guy, day in and day out.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, in points 1 and 3 you are claiming that I can't afford a vette? I guess I forgot that when you post on s2ki, you have to provide tax records and they are visible for all to see. And I suppose you have ANY idea what my wife and I do for a living, whether or not we have kids, what our debt load is, or in fact ANYTHING about us and our financial situation. Jackass.
In regards to #2... Same reason I can get Porsche performance for less money. Interiors dont cost a lot of money. Certainly nowhere close to closing the Porsche/Corvette price gap.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

It was Lutz who looked at the interiors of GMs cars right? They found that the difference between the money saver interiors and the best in class was something like $40.

GM has finally started putting good interiors in its cars, over the past six years. The C7 will be the first vette designed and built with this new focus, so it should be great, based on GM's other recent efforts.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It was Lutz who looked at the interiors of GMs cars right? They found that the difference between the money saver interiors and the best in class was something like $40.

GM has finally started putting good interiors in its cars, over the past six years. The C7 will be the first vette designed and built with this new focus, so it should be great, based on GM's other recent efforts.
I recall something similar. I think he said this at the same time he was talking about the 1st vs 2nd gen CTS interiors. He said the big issue with the CTS interior was that based on the cost to make it, it was an expensive interior, it's just that it didn't look it.

I've long argued that the Corvette interior is not significantly "cheaper" than say a Cayman interior. The issue was GM didn't get good value for the money they spent. The Corvette had a bespoke radio that looked like a parts bin radio. The panel gaps and material quality were equal to the Porsche (both sound hollow when taped with the fingers) but the Corvette looked dull and unimaginative. The Porsche was interesting and had a sense of style. Having spent time in both I will say that the biggest issues for the Corvette interior are actually just two areas but they are the areas you will see the most. 1. the center stack looks dull and the gap between the center stack and dash panel visually looks bad as if it were the best they could do. The equally large gap between the Cayman's similar parts looks like a deliberate styling choice and works. 2. The steering wheel airbag cover looked WAY to cheap and was obviously a part bin part. The total wheel was actually fine but the center gave it away AND the center's texture didn't match the rest of the interior. So even though most of the interior was actually rather nice (the door panels were very good) the two most important parts were failures.

My understanding was when Lutz joined GM it was too late to really change the C6's interior.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the viper is a good proxy for what chevy will do with the vette's interior.

The standard SRT model of the viper will actually use some materials that are cheaper then the outgoing model. It will have cloth seats and some kind of faux-leather instead of leather, but overall the new design and the technology they have incorporated makes it a nicer place to be. Don't discount design as it often makes a much larger difference then material.

The new SRT viper costs roughly the same as the standard SRT-10 viper (the outgoing model) when adjusted for inflation, but includes more advanced materials outside and better design and technology inside. I would expect the vette to follow suit and include a much nicer interior for roughly the same cost to potential buyers.

As far as covering the old interior with better material...that's not the point. If you cover an uglyish design in nicer material it's not the same as a good design. I never liked the way the viper or vette interiors looked when done by the aftermarket interior companies. It just came off as garish. The job that SRT has done with the new viper interior is much better then any aftermarket company. I really dislike the carvaggio (sp?) interiors in vettes too. Not my cup of tea at all.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
<waiting for 08+ C6 prices to drop>
Looks great, can't wait to hear all the oh the feel isnt there, oh the dash creaks, oh the gaps are too wide, oh it's too american, etc etc criticisms.
+1

It'd take quite a car to beat the current Z06 IMO

Evan
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

LOL, obviously the C7 will look small compared to a Camaro ZL1. That coupe weighs over 4,000lbs!

And why all the hate for the tailpipes? I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain on here about GTR's exhaust pipes and those things are cartoonish big.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette C7 spy shots