Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR

Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR

Topic really says it all. I currently am a proud 2008 s2000 cr owner, along with a pos chevy s10 as my daily driver. Along with those two vehicles, I also own a gsxr 750. Now my cr and s10 both have no radio and no ac, which for a few years I dealt with. However now I am tired of being hot and without any music when I drive. Originally, I was going to boost my cr but, after some consideration I decided not to and wound up buying my gsxr. Thats just some background as far as vehicles go. So now like I said above I am getting tired of being hot and without music so I was looking to purchase a new vehicle. I am keeping my cr and other vehicles, but was looking at the 2015 wrx sti and the 2015 mitsubishi evo gsr. Bother pretty much need to be ordered at this point seeing as how I cannot locate a subaru dealer with the options and color I would like, and the evo gsr hasn't even hit the dealerships and won't for about another 60 days or so I am told. I test drove a 2015 wrx (not an sti, have to be ordered) and a 2014 evo gsr. To my surprise I actually liked the evo more. I went in expecting to just flat out love the sti more, but after driving both to my own surprise I really liked the evo gsr more. My dilemma now though, is that everyone I talk to (most with limited knowledge of cars, some more then others) is telling me that the evo's are pos cars and to not even consider that. From my own research I have read that that new (and last) evo's has been tearing the new sti's apart on the track. My biggest problem is that with everyone telling me not to get an evo and to get the sti, its kind of making me second guess my decision. Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long read and wall of text.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Evos are not pos's. That's just dumb. Just buy whichever one you like more. There isn't really all that much to this decision.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
Evos are not pos's. That's just dumb. Just buy whichever one you like more. There isn't really all that much to this decision.
^ this, I'm guessing the people that tell you that Evos are crap are Subaru owners. Evos beat the Stis in pretty much every performance category not to mention the motors are much stronger than the crappy EJ25 that Subaru is still pushing.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with evo being the better performer in every categorie.

The sti's engines are really poor quality in general and prone to pop easily. I'm nervous as I currently own a legacy gt with almost same motor.

I would definitely go with the evo if I were in your shoes.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Evo all the way.

you must have heard those bad things from a subbie owner.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I agree with evo being the better performer in every categorie.

The sti's engines are really poor quality in general and prone to pop easily. I'm nervous as I currently own a legacy gt with almost same motor.

I would definitely go with the evo if I were in your shoes.
I wouldn't worry too much, it is all in the tune. I was on a vf39 on my 06 WRX for a long time. I just think a 16g sized turbo is about the limit for that motor.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpoonTunage
Topic really says it all. I currently am a proud 2008 s2000 cr owner, along with a pos chevy s10 as my daily driver. Along with those two vehicles, I also own a gsxr 750. Now my cr and s10 both have no radio and no ac, which for a few years I dealt with. However now I am tired of being hot and without any music when I drive. Originally, I was going to boost my cr but, after some consideration I decided not to and wound up buying my gsxr. Thats just some background as far as vehicles go. So now like I said above I am getting tired of being hot and without music so I was looking to purchase a new vehicle. I am keeping my cr and other vehicles, but was looking at the 2015 wrx sti and the 2015 mitsubishi evo gsr. Bother pretty much need to be ordered at this point seeing as how I cannot locate a subaru dealer with the options and color I would like, and the evo gsr hasn't even hit the dealerships and won't for about another 60 days or so I am told. I test drove a 2015 wrx (not an sti, have to be ordered) and a 2014 evo gsr. To my surprise I actually liked the evo more. I went in expecting to just flat out love the sti more, but after driving both to my own surprise I really liked the evo gsr more. My dilemma now though, is that everyone I talk to (most with limited knowledge of cars, some more then others) is telling me that the evo's are pos cars and to not even consider that. From my own research I have read that that new (and last) evo's has been tearing the new sti's apart on the track. My biggest problem is that with everyone telling me not to get an evo and to get the sti, its kind of making me second guess my decision. Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long read and wall of text.
I'd say wait to test drive an STI before making your decision, unless you already have. The WRX is not the same car.
Having said that, I think a WRX would make a better daily driver than the EVO or STI. You already have a CR and motorcycle for fun, so I'd go with a WRX as a more practical and budget friendly option. Not to mention the better gas mileage of the new WRX.

P.S. Of course you liked the EVO more, if I test drove an STI, and a Lancer Ralliart, I'd like the STI far better..
Though if you are considering using this vehicle to replace the daily driver duties of the S10, the WRX is more practical than an EVO imo, though of course less fun.

Or, if you are keeping the S10 as your daily driver beater and want another "fun" car, I say get an EVO IX that has been well cared for. (~2006). And with the leftover money you "saved" on the used car, you should have money left over for modifications of your choice.
If you are set on gong brand new, as I said wait to test drive the 2015 MY STI to see how it stacks against the EVO X, because it is going to be more fun than the plain WRX. Finally, I'm just going to throw it out there.. MKVII Golf R.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a 2015 WRX (not STI). It's far cheaper, has a more reliable engine/factory tune, and it is nearly the same straight-line performance. It would also be more liveable day to day than an Evolution (interior, etc.)
Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the major down fall of boxer engine's? Poort pistion ring lubrication's therefore ringland failure?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Themikewoo
What's the major down fall of boxer engine's? Poort pistion ring lubrication's therefore ringland failure?
much like rotary. the downfall is the owner.

Quick Reply: 2015 Subaru WRX STI or 2015 Mitsubishi EVO GSR