Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Audi S3 Review

Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Didn't get through the whole write up, but surprised to see the Golf R wasn't on the list at all. Just extreme hatchback bias? I never understood the preference for sedans over hatchbacks... Thoughts?
I personally hate the way hatchbacks look. I never liked them and won't consider driving them. So there is that.

On paper the golf r and s3 are similar because they share the same platform and basic running gear. Aside from that, they are very different cars. Audi is a luxury car, VW is a lesser quality brand. That translates into a lot of smaller things.

The Audi styling wise to me is much nicer. Especially the interior which has much nicer leather and soft touch plastics. Audi's MMI system is years ahead of VW. Audi has more and better sound deadening and overall is a higher level luxury car. Lots of little differences here and there.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1463433349' post='23968367
Didn't get through the whole write up, but surprised to see the Golf R wasn't on the list at all. Just extreme hatchback bias? I never understood the preference for sedans over hatchbacks... Thoughts?
I personally hate the way hatchbacks look. I never liked them and won't consider driving them. So there is that.

On paper the golf r and s3 are similar because they share the same platform and basic running gear. Aside from that, they are very different cars. Audi is a luxury car, VW is a lesser quality brand. That translates into a lot of smaller things.

The Audi styling wise to me is much nicer. Especially the interior which has much nicer leather and soft touch plastics. Audi's MMI system is years ahead of VW. Audi has more and better sound deadening and overall is a higher level luxury car. Lots of little differences here and there.
Interesting. It's just crazy how different things are overseas. Everyone in europe drives hatchbacks. They rule from a practicality standpoint. I have no doubt that the Audi has some nicer touches, I just wonder if they really add up to the difference in cost. I guess I will have to check out both. Thanks for the write-up/response.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1463434722' post='23968396
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1463433349' post='23968367']

Interesting. It's just crazy how different things are overseas. Everyone in europe drives hatchbacks. They rule from a practicality standpoint. I have no doubt that the Audi has some nicer touches, I just wonder if they really add up to the difference in cost. I guess I will have to check out both. Thanks for the write-up/response.
[/quote]

I have the Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I don't need space or practicality. 99% of the time if i go somewhere with the wife and my daughter we will take the Jeep. I think if you are younger or only have one car the hatch is a good in between car, but again, I strongly dislike the way hatches look.

I have read a lot of reviews and if money isn't a big deal, the Audi is the nicer overall package. Yes it costs more, but its a premium brand with more premium materials and technology. For me, those little extras mattered.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review, thank you for sharing. Looking forward to future reviews. I'm glad someone got one of these, as I've been considering selling my truck and s2000 and picking one up and doing Euro Delivery. Any plans on putting roof racks on it? I would need them to get my surfboards to the beach.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review. The Audis are addicting once you have one . I sold my S2K last year and got a CPO 2014 S4 (had only 7k miles on it) and have loved it; so much so that now I am looking to trade in my Prius V for an SQ5 . Like you, I was sold on the looks and hooked on the drive once I got in it; understated yet elegant and classy; torque and HP available immediately at any gear and any speed, especially when putting it in sport mode. I almost got an S3 but opted for the S4 as it was bigger (wanted some more rear passenger space) and the supercharged V6 just felt faster than the turbo 4 cylinder.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. I will have to test drive one. Also thanks for te negotiation tip on these.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Great write up...thank you!
As I look for my STi replacement, I've never considered the S3.
Now I will add it to my search list...

A grown up's STi is what I'm looking for.
I'm looking forward to your continued review. subscribed.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Love the cross-hatch stitching on the seats! Nice little car - as you've said, it seems like it's a good blend of power, size and luxury.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the great write up. I'm sorry you hate BMWs so much that you didn't test drive one. I would be interested to read your comparison between the two. Just from a driving standpoint (styling is personal) I felt the S3 was the "lesser" car after driving the BMWs, but at the same time, I was comparing the S3 to six cylinder BMWs, which probably accounted for about %50 of my reaction. More recently, I test drove the BMW 228i with automatic which is probably comparable in size and price to the S3 (as the 328i would be as well). I was still impressed with the BMW, but wondered how it would do against the S3 in a back to back comparison. I hope I'm not sounding negative about your selection. I think it is a good car and a good value.

I'd be interested to hear if you have encountered turbo lag in normal driving. I did during my first launch.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

One question, I know that you stated that you hate BMW's and immediately removed them from your list, was curious as to why that is?

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi S3 Review