2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page > 2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8
Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Reply

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 AM
  #1
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Saki GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Queen City, NC
Posts: 35,141
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default 2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-...e-2016/1211986


The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016 and will be aimed at the Ferrari 458 Italia in terms of performance, according to Ted Klaus, the NSX's head of development.

'We have to achieve the type of acceleration that the customer is achieving with the Ferrari,' said Klaus. 'More importantly we have to achieve this every day and also at the Nurburgring.'

However, he said that the intention is to keep Honda's new petrol-electric hybrid supercar more affordable than the 458. 'I think we are aiming within the range of the Audi R8,' he said. 'I realise that is a wide range but the NSX will still be extremely accessible.'

Klaus also said that Honda aims to match the sales figure of the Audi R8, rather than those of the much more popular Porsche 911. 'We will not seek to meet demand – there is value in making the product rare,' he said.

However, while there might not be loads of NSXs sold, customers are eventually likely to have a choice of different bodystyles and power outputs.

'I think we would be foolish to develop NSX without open-top intentions down the road,' said Klaus. 'Should you do a convertible first, should you do a higher performance version first – these are challenges for us to consider.'

He also said that Honda is planning to make the new NSX the cleanest and most efficient supercar in its class. 'The 911 is the most efficient performance car today and we will be well clear of that.'

Honda has shown a racing version of the new NSX, which features a 2.0-litre petrol engine and a 'racing hybrid system'. The production version is due on sale in 2015, initially in North America, with Europe getting cars shortly afterwards.

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016. To date, 80 customers have pre-ordered cars in the UK.
Saki GT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM
  #2
Registered User
 
Sebring AP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FV CA
Posts: 2,656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think there may be some over-promising here, lol. That all sounded way too good to be true.
Sebring AP1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM
  #3
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Saki GT View Post
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-...e-2016/1211986


The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016 and will be aimed at the Ferrari 458 Italia in terms of performance, according to Ted Klaus, the NSX's head of development.

'We have to achieve the type of acceleration that the customer is achieving with the Ferrari,' said Klaus. 'More importantly we have to achieve this every day and also at the Nurburgring.'

However, he said that the intention is to keep Honda's new petrol-electric hybrid supercar more affordable than the 458. 'I think we are aiming within the range of the Audi R8,' he said. 'I realise that is a wide range but the NSX will still be extremely accessible.'

Klaus also said that Honda aims to match the sales figure of the Audi R8, rather than those of the much more popular Porsche 911. 'We will not seek to meet demand – there is value in making the product rare,' he said.

However, while there might not be loads of NSXs sold, customers are eventually likely to have a choice of different bodystyles and power outputs.

'I think we would be foolish to develop NSX without open-top intentions down the road,' said Klaus. 'Should you do a convertible first, should you do a higher performance version first – these are challenges for us to consider.'

He also said that Honda is planning to make the new NSX the cleanest and most efficient supercar in its class. 'The 911 is the most efficient performance car today and we will be well clear of that.'

Honda has shown a racing version of the new NSX, which features a 2.0-litre petrol engine and a 'racing hybrid system'. The production version is due on sale in 2015, initially in North America, with Europe getting cars shortly afterwards.

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016. To date, 80 customers have pre-ordered cars in the UK.
This article is all over the place with dates...
Marioshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
  #4
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,562
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

What do you mean? The parts you bolded agree with each other.

However wasn't this car supposed to have a 2015 on sale date?

Also, are they aware that a new 458 Italia is being released for 2016?
WolfpackS2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
  #5
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,161
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Will it sound like the 458 or stir emotion like the 458? I kind of doubt it if a GTR is anything to gauge against.
mosesbotbol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
  #6
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
What do you mean? The parts you bolded agree with each other.

However wasn't this car supposed to have a 2015 on sale date?

Also, are they aware that a new 458 Italia is being released for 2016?
The parts I bolded say:

The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016

The production version is due on sale in 2015

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016

So which one is it? 2015 or 2016? Also, why do they mention it, and then immediately mention a different date in the next sentence? Makes me think this poorly written article has little to offer...
Marioshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM
  #7
Registered User
 
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Anderson, S.C.
Posts: 441
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
XxMerlinxX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
  #8
 
Marioshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
The article says it will go on sale in the US first, which I have heard multiple times but I doubt that it will be on sale anywhere in 2015 if it is debuting at the November 2015 Tokyo auto show.

Update: Motor Authority Says:

Production of the new NSX will take place at the newly-established Performance Manufacturing Center at Honda’s facility in Marysville, Ohio. A debut should take place at one of the major American auto shows in early 2015 with sales to commence no later by the fall of that year, making the car a 2016 model.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-audi-r8-price

That is a much more concise timeline for NA and it makes sense that we are getting it first if we are producing it.
Marioshi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:22 PM
  #9
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,161
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
How could an American made car go on sale in other markets first? Does not make sense at all.
mosesbotbol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
  #10
Registered User
 
Presto123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miramar, FloriDUH
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

"Extremely accessible" at R8 prices..

Hope it does well but I am also hoping they release something enthusiast-minded that is actually accessible.
Presto123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:47 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: