Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-...e-2016/1211986

The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016 and will be aimed at the Ferrari 458 Italia in terms of performance, according to Ted Klaus, the NSX's head of development.

'We have to achieve the type of acceleration that the customer is achieving with the Ferrari,' said Klaus. 'More importantly we have to achieve this every day and also at the Nurburgring.'

However, he said that the intention is to keep Honda's new petrol-electric hybrid supercar more affordable than the 458. 'I think we are aiming within the range of the Audi R8,' he said. 'I realise that is a wide range but the NSX will still be extremely accessible.'

Klaus also said that Honda aims to match the sales figure of the Audi R8, rather than those of the much more popular Porsche 911. 'We will not seek to meet demand – there is value in making the product rare,' he said.

However, while there might not be loads of NSXs sold, customers are eventually likely to have a choice of different bodystyles and power outputs.

'I think we would be foolish to develop NSX without open-top intentions down the road,' said Klaus. 'Should you do a convertible first, should you do a higher performance version first – these are challenges for us to consider.'

He also said that Honda is planning to make the new NSX the cleanest and most efficient supercar in its class. 'The 911 is the most efficient performance car today and we will be well clear of that.'

Honda has shown a racing version of the new NSX, which features a 2.0-litre petrol engine and a 'racing hybrid system'. The production version is due on sale in 2015, initially in North America, with Europe getting cars shortly afterwards.

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016. To date, 80 customers have pre-ordered cars in the UK.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there may be some over-promising here, lol. That all sounded way too good to be true.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-...e-2016/1211986

The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016 and will be aimed at the Ferrari 458 Italia in terms of performance, according to Ted Klaus, the NSX's head of development.

'We have to achieve the type of acceleration that the customer is achieving with the Ferrari,' said Klaus. 'More importantly we have to achieve this every day and also at the Nurburgring.'

However, he said that the intention is to keep Honda's new petrol-electric hybrid supercar more affordable than the 458. 'I think we are aiming within the range of the Audi R8,' he said. 'I realise that is a wide range but the NSX will still be extremely accessible.'

Klaus also said that Honda aims to match the sales figure of the Audi R8, rather than those of the much more popular Porsche 911. 'We will not seek to meet demand – there is value in making the product rare,' he said.

However, while there might not be loads of NSXs sold, customers are eventually likely to have a choice of different bodystyles and power outputs.

'I think we would be foolish to develop NSX without open-top intentions down the road,' said Klaus. 'Should you do a convertible first, should you do a higher performance version first – these are challenges for us to consider.'

He also said that Honda is planning to make the new NSX the cleanest and most efficient supercar in its class. 'The 911 is the most efficient performance car today and we will be well clear of that.'

Honda has shown a racing version of the new NSX, which features a 2.0-litre petrol engine and a 'racing hybrid system'. The production version is due on sale in 2015, initially in North America, with Europe getting cars shortly afterwards.

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016. To date, 80 customers have pre-ordered cars in the UK.
This article is all over the place with dates...
Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

What do you mean? The parts you bolded agree with each other.

However wasn't this car supposed to have a 2015 on sale date?

Also, are they aware that a new 458 Italia is being released for 2016?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Will it sound like the 458 or stir emotion like the 458? I kind of doubt it if a GTR is anything to gauge against.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
What do you mean? The parts you bolded agree with each other.

However wasn't this car supposed to have a 2015 on sale date?

Also, are they aware that a new 458 Italia is being released for 2016?
The parts I bolded say:

The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016

The production version is due on sale in 2015

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016

So which one is it? 2015 or 2016? Also, why do they mention it, and then immediately mention a different date in the next sentence? Makes me think this poorly written article has little to offer...
Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
The article says it will go on sale in the US first, which I have heard multiple times but I doubt that it will be on sale anywhere in 2015 if it is debuting at the November 2015 Tokyo auto show.

Update: Motor Authority Says:

Production of the new NSX will take place at the newly-established Performance Manufacturing Center at Honda’s facility in Marysville, Ohio. A debut should take place at one of the major American auto shows in early 2015 with sales to commence no later by the fall of that year, making the car a 2016 model.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-audi-r8-price

That is a much more concise timeline for NA and it makes sense that we are getting it first if we are producing it.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
How could an American made car go on sale in other markets first? Does not make sense at all.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Extremely accessible" at R8 prices..

Hope it does well but I am also hoping they release something enthusiast-minded that is actually accessible.