Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by InTheZone' timestamp='1416446690' post='23411599
so they want to mimic the price and looks of the R8 and give 458 performance?

they had a hard enough time selling an nsx for half that price and now they're asking another $30-40k on top?
Look at it this way - it's a baby Porsche 918 Spyder for 16% of the cost.
Or a P1 for 30% of the cost, perhaps a LaFerrari at 35% is more like it.....

This car is getting old already and has a V6 - lame. Honda at their best.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1416497460' post='23412080
[quote name='InTheZone' timestamp='1416446690' post='23411599']
so they want to mimic the price and looks of the R8 and give 458 performance?

they had a hard enough time selling an nsx for half that price and now they're asking another $30-40k on top?
Look at it this way - it's a baby Porsche 918 Spyder for 16% of the cost.
Or a P1 for 30% of the cost, perhaps a LaFerrari at 35% is more like it.....

This car is getting old already and has a V6 - lame. Honda at their best.
[/quote]

Except it'd be a P1 at 13.6% of the cost, or a LaFerrari for about the same.

You're right, though - stupid car, going with a 6-cylinder engine. The M3, 911 (S, GT3, Turbo), Jag F-Type, Boxster, Cayman, GT-R, Cadillac ATS-V - they're all also lame cars that have no place in the world of sports cars because they have 6-cylinder engines. Let's not forget the Lotus Evora or the Exige S, either - those cars are junk and shouldn't be discussed or driven by any true sporting enthusiast. Heck, that Audi R18 is a piece of crap as well - dumb idea for a racecar!

You crack me up, man!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
Lastly, isn't an all motor, high revving, scalpel of a car more inline with what the NSX was than a hybrid power-train, twin turbo charged phoenix?
Yep, I was thinking along the lines of a rear mid engine 4.0 liter V8 revving to 10,000 RPM and cranking out 600+ hp. That seems more in tune with the spirit of the NSX and the S2000, just on crack.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You're looking at the technological answer the NSX had for the competition back in the late 80s and early 90s. The NSX is about new technology and applications for TODAY, which means that the specific answer for the original NSX is not necessarily what you'd do today.

I would prefer a car that's mechanically simpler and lighter but that has already been done. Time for something new for Acura!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 PM

True I'm all up for integrating the latest advances into today's supercar, but the 458 and LFA are pretty modern and have N/A engines that rev sky high. They have outdone Honda at their best game. There's something to be said about the immediacy of high-revving screaming engines and tossable razor-sharp cornering and the lightweight feel in handling.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
True I'm all up for integrating the latest advances into today's supercar, but the 458 and LFA are pretty modern and have N/A engines that rev sky high.
There's "pretty modern," then there's "future performance tech" or however you'd like to term it.
Early 90s 911s and 348s were "pretty modern" back when the NSX came out - but the NSX showed the future of performance tech in an all-around competent package.
The original NSX a is no longer an example of future performance tech, however.

They have outdone Honda at their best game.
I guess Honda isn't just a one-trick (ie, high revving small displacement engine) pony. That's a tool Honda has used in the game for a while, but not recently, and they've moved on to other tools. A bit disappointing since that's what drew me to them in the first place, but time marches on...

There's something to be said about the immediacy of high-revving screaming engines and tossable razor-sharp cornering and the lightweight feel in handling.
For what it's worth, IIRC there have been multiple statements from Honda (not official press releases, I think, but statements by what's-his-name during shows) that a primary goal of the new NSX centers around driver feel. How we'll they achive that goal remains to be seen, but as an owner of a turbo charged car with a fast shifting flappy paddle gearbox, there's something to be said for the fun of that too.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
True I'm all up for integrating the latest advances into today's supercar, but the 458 and LFA are pretty modern and have N/A engines that rev sky high. They have outdone Honda at their best game. There's something to be said about the immediacy of high-revving screaming engines and tossable razor-sharp cornering and the lightweight feel in handling.
They both sound (along with McLaren) utterly wicked while revving. Driving is a sensory experience and those two certainly are hitting the hearing sense. Let's hope the Honda sounds just as awesome or it'll be a big strike against it.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If Honda makes another slow N/A car that sounds great at high rpm, everyone is going to brand this car a failure. Yes, the 458 Italia is amazing, but for many reasons, Honda cannot compete with Ferrari on producing a 458-like engine.

It probably won't sound *quite* as good, but I'm more than happy with giving up a little aural pleasure for a pair of turbochargers and some serious power/speed.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

It is good to see that you guys are so optimistic. I wish I shared such sentiment, but Honda has just plain failed to deliver for some time.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan
There's "pretty modern," then there's "future performance tech" or however you'd like to term it.
Early 90s 911s and 348s were "pretty modern" back when the NSX came out - but the NSX showed the future of performance tech in an all-around competent package.
The original NSX a is no longer an example of future performance tech, however.
Let's hope Honda does surprise us with the new car. I still think they should have developed a smallish V8 that revs to 10,000 RPM 150+ hp/L that just screams. But incorporate the latest in hybrid technology into say one of their high-end touring cars like the RLX or something. This way, they can showcase both types of tech in appropriate settings.