Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
It's the only time we have. It's not that we're emphasizing it, only that it's the only metric we have for trackworthiness.

We'll see how the CTR stacks up against the competition on smaller, shorter tracks.

Regarding the NSX 'Ring time, I imagine the NSX has the same issue as the McLaren P1 - the battery runs out before the lap is completed, which hampers overall performance. Lots of longer straights and high-speed sections where the car is basically running on 500 hp (ICE only) since the front electric motors don't provide any thrust at high speeds, with not nearly as many braking points to replenish the batteries sufficiently.
Hmm, so Honda made it a point to make a FWD hot hatch insanely fast around the ring, but not a priority for their halo super car, makes sense. You're quick to mention the P1, but we all know the P1 is insanely fast, how does the NSX stack up on other tracks?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Yes we do, on multiple other tracks, which gives you all the reference data you reasonably need.

Seriously, man, you need a new song on your playlist...
Some would argue you do too
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
how does the NSX stack up on other tracks?
Seems to be faster than some of its competition, slower than other of its competition. Here are the results from C&D's Lightning Lap, for example.
Lightning Lap 2016: Results, Historical Lap Times, and More – Feature – Car and Driver
Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Hmm, so Honda made it a point to make a FWD hot hatch insanely fast around the ring, but not a priority for their halo super car, makes sense. You're quick to mention the P1, but we all know the P1 is insanely fast, how does the NSX stack up on other tracks?
Relative to the competitors, I would imagine the NSX is slower around the 'Ring, for previously mentioned reasons. On shorter tracks, where the batteries hold up, it's right in the mix. Manufacturers don't generally brag on times that are slower than the competition. in case you hadn't noticed.

The CTR is faster than the competition, hence the bragging. Porsche does the same with their cars, if they're faster. Lamborghini rarely did official 'Ring times except when they knew they'd beat the competition.

Go look at the list of manufacturer-run times and you'll see the pattern.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Relative to the competitors, I would imagine the NSX is slower around the 'Ring, for previously mentioned reasons. On shorter tracks, where the batteries hold up, it's right in the mix. Manufacturers don't generally brag on times that are slower than the competition. in case you hadn't noticed.

The CTR is faster than the competition, hence the bragging. Porsche does the same with their cars, if they're faster. Lamborghini rarely did official 'Ring times except when they knew they'd beat the competition.

Go look at the list of manufacturer-run times and you'll see the pattern.
Oh I'm aware, it's just funny seeing the sliding scale so prominently with these two cars as an example and how people are touting them. Funny the car most likely to be used on the ring can't run the ring, and the car most likely to be used in more real world settings had a big focus on the ring. Just seems backwards to me.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh I'm aware, it's just funny seeing the sliding scale so prominently with these two cars as an example and how people are touting them. Funny the car most likely to be used on the ring can't run the ring, and the car most likely to be used in more real world settings had a big focus on the ring. Just seems backwards to me.
That's honda right now. They don't know how to market sports cars. When the NSX first went on their website they showed how components of it were inspired by other cars in their line up. Huge misfire suggesting a $40k influenced a $150k car. Should be trickle down.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Have to spin things opposite ways to defend your daddy. That's straight politics 101.
The following users liked this post:
Vitt (07-16-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 AM

From last weekend's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 PM

0 - 311 kph run.
I enjoyed watching the assist/charge display on the left and the battery charge level display on the right.
Based on the flashing highbeams, and the video source, this was on the Autobahn.